Good Thursday morning, Alexandria!
☔ Today’s weather: Possible light rain in the morning. High of 64 and low of 43.
☔ Tomorrow: Rain throughout the day. High of 59 and low of 37. Sunrise at 6:39 am and sunset at 6:03 pm.
🚨 You need to know
At a meeting on Tuesday, the Council approved Alexandria Redevelopment and Housing Authority’s plans to tear down two blocks of townhomes along Route 1 and replace them with two six-story buildings with 532 units.
Over half of those units will be committed affordable — meaning the rents will be capped at a maximum of 80% of the area’s median income. Of those, 161 units will be set aside for the lowest income levels.
The approval also came with a $1 million loan asked for at the last minute by ARHA after the project faced unexpected cost increases.
📈 Wednesday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Mar 1, 2023.
- Notes: Deputy Chief Brian Hricik dies after battle with cancer (873 views)
- JUST IN: Arlandria/Parkfairfax hit with power outage with over 3,000 residents affected (300 views)
- Police and Firefighters getting big raises in Alexandria City Manager’s $881 million budget proposal (262 views)
- Bad Ass Coffee of Hawaii to open this month in Carlyle (235 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Goodwin Living Names Josh Bagley Executive Director of The View Alexandria
Zebra (Wednesday @ 4:26 pm)
- 1910 Home In Old Town Alexandria Features Heart Of Pine Flooring
Patch (Wednesday @ 4:24 pm)
- Find Out When Your Street Will Be Repaved! Alexandria Releases Plan To Fix Roads
Zebra (Wednesday @ 2:49 pm)
- Ukrainian Pysanky Tradition Raises Funds for War Refugees
Alexandria Living (Wednesday @ 1:33 pm)
- Old Town Business Improvement District ‘Idea Has Merit’: Mayor
Patch (Wednesday @ 12:41 pm)
- With Public Safety a Top Priority, City Manager Presents Budget Proposal to Alexandria City Council
Zebra (Wednesday @ 12:16 pm)
- Real Estate Tax Rate Remains Same In 2024 Alexandria Budget Proposal
Patch (Wednesday @ 11:09 am)
- Alexandria City Manager Proposes $881.1 Million Budget
Alexandria Living (Wednesday @ 7:39 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- No events today. Have one to promote? Submit it to the calendar.
A look at the most and least expensive townhouses sold in Alexandria last month, August 2023.
Alexandria City Public Schools saw a 26% increase in student arrests last school year, and a disproportionate number of arrested students are Black males. There were 58 ACPS students arrested…
This weekend allows you to tour historic homes in Old Town (81st Annual Historic Alexandria Homes Tour), celebrate German style beers at Port City Brewing Company (Wunderfest), and much more….
Elevate your idea of elegance to new heights as you dive into luxury living like never before at Towngate North! With the recent completion of the final condominium building in…
Sometimes mold is easy to spot, but you don’t know how deep inside your walls it has spread. It can grow in sinks, cabinets, and other places you frequent every day. If you find mold, the question remains: Do I call a professional? Thistle Environmental, LLC believes in quality, comprehensive testing.
CALL NOW: (703) 929-4036
WOW 1 DAY PAINTING brings people a fast, affordable, and high-quality solution for all of their interior or exterior residential and commercial painting projects. We respect your time as much as you do and provide the quality paint job you expect, in a timeline that is unexpected.
Schedule a consult today:
The Made in ALX Fall Makers’ Market at Port City Brewing Co. in Alexandria is set for Sunday, Sept. 24!
This is the fall’s most fun sip-and-shop, featuring craft beer from the award-winning Port City Brewing Co. along with food,