Good Friday morning, Alexandria!
⛅ Today’s weather: Partly cloudy throughout the day. High of 68 and low of 31.
❄ Tomorrow: Snow (< 1 in.) in the morning and afternoon. High of 42 and low of 30. Sunrise at 6:48 am and sunset at 5:57 pm.
🚨 You need to know
A Bronx-style bodega called Eddie’s Little Shop and Deli has officially reopened in the former Deli News & More at 1406 King Street, Alexandria Living Magazine reported.
Deli News & More closed late last year after nearly 30 years in Old Town. The shop first opened as a newsstand in 1994 with light breakfast fare.
DC Eater said Eddie’s owner Ed McIntosh was inspired by the boegas he used to frequent as a kid in the Bronx. Like the New York staples, DC Eater reported that Eddie’s offers a little bit of everything, from hearty sandwiches and pantry essentials to cooking classes.
📈 Thursday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Feb 23, 2023.
- Alexandria man arrested after alleged carjacking Saturday night in the West End (1044 views)
- Motorcycle crash closes Callahan Drive | ALXnow (733 views)
- Notes: Did you know you can get a Virginia State Park Pass via the Alexandria Library? (394 views)
- Smallest and largest homes sold in Alexandria (Jan-Feb 2023) (277 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Real Talk: What to keep, toss or sell
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 6:48 pm)
- 🌱 Cherry Blossoms Blooming In D.C. Area + Crash On Callahan Drive
Patch (Thursday @ 5:49 pm)
- Opening of Potomac Yard Metro nears
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 5:34 pm)
- ACPS approves 2023-24 budget
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 5:25 pm)
- Water Bottle Stations Supported By Donation To Alexandria Sports Group
Patch (Thursday @ 5:05 pm)
- Out of the Attic: Alexandria Black History Museum reopens
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 5:05 pm)
- Ethical Reflections with Rev. Ian Markham: The impossibility of agnosticism
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:42 pm)
- 1840 Home In Old Town Alexandria Offers Step Back In Time
Patch (Thursday @ 4:39 pm)
- Your Views: Ignore the COG’s flawed demands
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:28 pm)
- Junior Docents Wanted at History-Filled Gadsby’s Tavern Museum
Zebra (Thursday @ 4:28 pm)
- Our View: The big station that might
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:18 pm)
- Bruce Willis and Frontotemporal Dementia
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:59 pm)
- It’s Cherry Blossom Season! Celebrate With Events, Food, and Shopping Deals in Alexandria
Zebra (Thursday @ 3:00 pm)
- The Legacy of Annie B. Rose
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 2:43 pm)
- New ACPS school nutrition director
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 2:27 pm)
- BI hosts Special Olympics tournament
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 2:22 pm)
- Alexandria St. Patrick’s Day Parade, Fun Dog Show Return In 2023
Patch (Thursday @ 2:22 pm)
- Suspect in dog poisoning attempt surrenders
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 2:11 pm)
- Homicide on East Reed Avenue
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 2:05 pm)
- Black Conservative Federation holds gala
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 1:58 pm)
- Leslie Golden becomes Times managing editor
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 1:50 pm)
- Enjoy the 2023 Fun Dog Show March 4, Before Alexandria’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade
Zebra (Thursday @ 1:47 pm)
- Alexandria Announces Seasonal Cherry Blossom Experiences
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 12:02 pm)
- Lena’s Pizza Meatball Madness Race on March 11 Supports Alexandria Boys & Girls Club
Zebra (Thursday @ 11:08 am)
- Signature Theatre to Honor Chita Rivera With Sondheim Award
Zebra (Thursday @ 9:54 am)
- Motorcycle Crash Prompts Road Closure Near King Street Metro
Patch (Thursday @ 9:48 am)
- Eddie’s Little Shop and Deli Opens
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 7:21 am)
🐦 Tweets of note
Make plans to join us for the #FunDogShow2023! Saturday, March 4 from 11 a.m. to noon. Link to participate: https://t.co/2K9dP2xXXq @McEnearney
#alexanimals #alexandriava pic.twitter.com/R3OOlBOgyh
— AWLA Alexandria (@AlexAnimals) February 23, 2023
How well do YOU know George? Celebrate George Washington's birthday by testing your knowledge about the country's first president. Bring a mobile device to join in the fun. There will be snacks and prizes! Thursday at noon at the Barrett Branch Library. https://t.co/GC57cDeXPs pic.twitter.com/RfkyKv2wsI
— Alexandria Library (@alexlibraryva) February 22, 2023
How does it feel to be #creatingthefuture ? Here's what a few of our engineers had to say. #eweek2023 pic.twitter.com/qFkx1wPwgY
— Alexandria Transportation & Environmental Services (@AlexandriaVATES) February 23, 2023
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today and this weekend in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- 5:00 pm Saturday: 2023 Alexandria Sister Cities Scottish Social and Whisky Tasting
The team behind the proposed Old Town Business Improvement District (BID) is giving itself a few more months to get the project the support it needs. Per new guidelines approved…
On the edge of Alexandria, The Landing shines with nurturing and innovative boutique-style senior living set in the cultural and intellectual hub of North Potomac Yard, with magnificent panoramic views…
Are you a landlord? Discover what issues you should know about the renting in the latest Ask McEnearney.
The Alexandria Police Department will start rolling out its body worn camera program next month but it won’t be until next January that all the department’s officers are wearing them….
Monarch Montessori School located in the heart of Del Ray is enrolling children 6 weeks to 6 years of age for our half day and full day program.
Our hours of operation are 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM, Monday-Friday. Monarch Montessori School is open year round, with intermittent breaks.
Children engage in self-directed, self-initiated activities under the guidance of a trained Montessori teacher. Classroom sizes range from 8-12 students. Our robust curriculum includes botany, sensorial activities, the social graces, culture, math, science, practical life, geography, music appreciation and language arts.
You’ll get half off of the registration fee when you register and begin care with us before April 30, 2023.
EDBS Dental Billing Solutions is pleased to announce that it has achieved compliance with the federally mandated standards of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) through the use of Compliancy Group’s proprietary HIPAA methodology, The Guard® compliance tracking software, and HIPAA Seal of Compliance®.
The HIPAA Seal of Compliance is issued to organizations that have implemented an effective HIPAA compliance program through the use of The Guard, Compliancy Group’s proprietary compliance tracking solution.
Clients and patients are becoming more aware of the requirements of HIPAA compliance and how the regulation protects their personal information. Forward-thinking providers like EDBS Dental Billing Solutions choose the HIPAA Seal of Compliance to differentiate their services.
Del Ray Dog Fest & Yappy Hour
The 1st Annual Del Ray Dog Fest is a fun outdoor event that will include dog-centered activities, dog menu items, live music, vendors and food on Sunday, April 2 from 11am- 3pm at the George Washington Middle School parking lot.