Good Friday morning, Alexandria!
⛅ Today’s weather: Partly cloudy throughout the day. High of 68 and low of 31.
❄ Tomorrow: Snow (< 1 in.) in the morning and afternoon. High of 42 and low of 30. Sunrise at 6:48 am and sunset at 5:57 pm.
🚨 You need to know
Deli News & More closed late last year after nearly 30 years in Old Town. The shop first opened as a newsstand in 1994 with light breakfast fare.
DC Eater said Eddie’s owner Ed McIntosh was inspired by the boegas he used to frequent as a kid in the Bronx. Like the New York staples, DC Eater reported that Eddie’s offers a little bit of everything, from hearty sandwiches and pantry essentials to cooking classes.
📈 Thursday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Feb 23, 2023.
- Alexandria man arrested after alleged carjacking Saturday night in the West End (1044 views)
- Motorcycle crash closes Callahan Drive | ALXnow (733 views)
- Notes: Did you know you can get a Virginia State Park Pass via the Alexandria Library? (394 views)
- Smallest and largest homes sold in Alexandria (Jan-Feb 2023) (277 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Real Talk: What to keep, toss or sell
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 6:48 pm)
- 🌱 Cherry Blossoms Blooming In D.C. Area + Crash On Callahan Drive
Patch (Thursday @ 5:49 pm)
- Opening of Potomac Yard Metro nears
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 5:34 pm)
- ACPS approves 2023-24 budget
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 5:25 pm)
- Water Bottle Stations Supported By Donation To Alexandria Sports Group
Patch (Thursday @ 5:05 pm)
- Out of the Attic: Alexandria Black History Museum reopens
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 5:05 pm)
- Ethical Reflections with Rev. Ian Markham: The impossibility of agnosticism
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:42 pm)
- 1840 Home In Old Town Alexandria Offers Step Back In Time
Patch (Thursday @ 4:39 pm)
- Your Views: Ignore the COG’s flawed demands
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:28 pm)
- Junior Docents Wanted at History-Filled Gadsby’s Tavern Museum
Zebra (Thursday @ 4:28 pm)
- Our View: The big station that might
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 4:18 pm)
- Bruce Willis and Frontotemporal Dementia
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:59 pm)
- It’s Cherry Blossom Season! Celebrate With Events, Food, and Shopping Deals in Alexandria
Zebra (Thursday @ 3:00 pm)
- The Legacy of Annie B. Rose
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 2:43 pm)
- New ACPS school nutrition director
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 2:27 pm)
- BI hosts Special Olympics tournament
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 2:22 pm)
- Alexandria St. Patrick’s Day Parade, Fun Dog Show Return In 2023
Patch (Thursday @ 2:22 pm)
- Suspect in dog poisoning attempt surrenders
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 2:11 pm)
- Homicide on East Reed Avenue
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 2:05 pm)
- Black Conservative Federation holds gala
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 1:58 pm)
- Leslie Golden becomes Times managing editor
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 1:50 pm)
- Enjoy the 2023 Fun Dog Show March 4, Before Alexandria’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade
Zebra (Thursday @ 1:47 pm)
- Alexandria Announces Seasonal Cherry Blossom Experiences
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 12:02 pm)
- Lena’s Pizza Meatball Madness Race on March 11 Supports Alexandria Boys & Girls Club
Zebra (Thursday @ 11:08 am)
- Signature Theatre to Honor Chita Rivera With Sondheim Award
Zebra (Thursday @ 9:54 am)
- Motorcycle Crash Prompts Road Closure Near King Street Metro
Patch (Thursday @ 9:48 am)
- Eddie’s Little Shop and Deli Opens
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 7:21 am)
🐦 Tweets of note
— AWLA Alexandria (@AlexAnimals) February 23, 2023
How well do YOU know George? Celebrate George Washington's birthday by testing your knowledge about the country's first president. Bring a mobile device to join in the fun. There will be snacks and prizes! Thursday at noon at the Barrett Branch Library. https://t.co/GC57cDeXPs pic.twitter.com/RfkyKv2wsI
— Alexandria Library (@alexlibraryva) February 22, 2023
— Alexandria Transportation & Environmental Services (@AlexandriaVATES) February 23, 2023
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today and this weekend in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- 5:00 pm Saturday: 2023 Alexandria Sister Cities Scottish Social and Whisky Tasting
There is good news for those grumbling about potholes along King Street and Duke Street: repaving season will sweep over the two arterial roads this month. Repaving work is scheduled…
Patrick O’Brian enthusiasts rejoice: another Age of Sail replica ship is coming to Alexandria. The schooner Pride of Baltimore II, a replica of the 1812 ship Pride of Baltimore, will…
Good Wednesday morning, Alexandria! ☀️ Today’s weather: Expect patchy fog in the morning until 10am, followed by a sunny day with a high temperature near 84°F and calm southeast winds…
Buildings resembling New York City’s iconic Flatiron building are being proposed for the former home of the GenOn Power Plant in Old Town North. Hilco Redevelopment Partners just released new…
If you had a chance to enhance a child’s future with a time commitment of less than 2 hours a week, how would you respond? You have that opportunity right now to join over 200 Alexandrians as a reading tutor volunteer with the Alexandria Tutoring Consortium (ATC).
ATC tutors work with one child in kindergarten, first, or second grade in Alexandria public schools who need extra help with reading. Tutors meet with their Book Buddy 1-2 times each week for 30 minutes October-May at school, during school hours. Many struggling readers only receive one-on-one instruction through this program, and it makes all the difference. Last year, ATC served 195 children, of whom 82% ended the year reading on grade level and 96% made substantial reading gains. But the need is great, and we are still seeing learning lags from the pandemic.
This year, ATC plans to significantly increase the size of the program to reach over 250 students and to serve every elementary school in Alexandria. This is very exciting news, but we will only succeed if we can recruit more tutors. ATC trains you, matches you with a child, and provides ongoing lesson materials and support.
If you have been thinking about buying your first home or haven’t owned one in the last three years, THIS IS FOR YOU!
In the DMV area, it can be difficult to save the downpayment necessary for you to get into your own home. We have a solution. The Funder’s Summit!
We have assembled a summit with different municipalities to tell you how to access their funds for your home purchase.
Mark your calendars and join us for the Family Fun Fall Fest on Saturday, October 7, 2023, from 11am – 2pm!
This FREE in-person event will be held at the Shoppes at Foxchase, located at 4641 Duke St, Alexandria, VA