Good Friday morning, Alexandria!
☔ Today’s weather: Possible light rain in the morning. High of 64 and low of 34.
⛅ Tomorrow: Partly cloudy throughout the day. High of 41 and low of 32. Sunrise at 7:27 am and sunset at 5:09 pm.
🚨 You need to know
Monday is Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and along with celebrations are several city closures and a shift in scheduling to be aware of.
The City of Alexandria is hosting a commemorative program on Sunday, Jan. 15, at 4 p.m. at the George Washington Masonic National Memorial (101 Callahan Drive).
The local courts and many government facilities, such as the Department of Motor Vehicles, the Health Department, an all library branches will be closed on Monday.
The Freedom House Museum will be open from 1-5 p.m., but all other museums will be closed.
Chinquapin Park Recreation Center and Aquatics Facility, Charles Houston Recreation, and Patrick Henry Recreation Centers will be open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., but all other City of Alexandria recreation and nature centers will be closed.
Residential trash, recycling and yard waste will be delayed by one day, so if your trash was picked up on Monday, it will be picked up on Tuesday, and so-on.
The DASH bus service will operate on a Saturday schedule.
📈 Thursday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Jan 12, 2023.
- Fairfax County man arrested after residential burglary near Fort Ward (687 views)
- Most and least expensive condos sold in Alexandria (Dec-Jan 2023) (466 views)
- Notes: Thousands of Alexandria households could lose Medicaid coverage starting next month (327 views)
- Five years since adopting Vision Zero, total crashes are down but fatalities and severe injuries remain steady (157 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Where to Buy Girl Scout Cookies in Alexandria
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 9:07 pm)
- 50th Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Program Sunday
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 8:43 pm)
- Alexandria a Nominee for Travel + Leisure’s ‘Best Cities’ List
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 8:00 pm)
- Mayor Wilson Wants To Speed Up Process for Renaming Streets That Honor Confederacy
Zebra (Thursday @ 5:36 pm)
- Look Inside: Penthouse Offers View Of Alexandria Waterfront
Patch (Thursday @ 4:39 pm)
- Where To Find DC Winter Restaurant Week Specials Around Alexandria
Patch (Thursday @ 4:11 pm)
- Filling in the Blanks with Melanie Kay-Wyatt, Ed.D: Invest in education, change the world
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:37 pm)
- Your Views: Remembering Lillie Finklea
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:34 pm)
- Our View: Hoop dreams
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:28 pm)
- SNAP emergency food benefits to end
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:22 pm)
- Historic Alexandria to celebrate MLK Day
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:13 pm)
- City launches BIPOC grant program
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:08 pm)
- Crash causes temporary road closure
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 3:00 pm)
- Browne Academy Students Embrace ‘Playground of Their Dreams’
Zebra (Thursday @ 2:59 pm)
- OBITUARY: Married Couple, Sandra and Andy Duet, Jr. , Die on Same Day
Zebra (Thursday @ 2:58 pm)
- None injured in Mia’s Kitchen fire
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 2:49 pm)
- Let’s Talk Strategy…
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 2:36 pm)
- Activist Lillie Finklea dies at 83
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 2:35 pm)
- Hoops season in the Port City
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 2:18 pm)
- Vote Now: Alexandria on Travel + Leisure’s ‘Best Cities in the U.S.’ List
Zebra (Thursday @ 11:51 am)
- Next Coffee With A Cop Event Planned In Del Ray
Patch (Thursday @ 11:38 am)
- New Confederate Road Renaming Process Presented By Alexandria Mayor
Patch (Thursday @ 10:47 am)
🐦 Tweets of note
Thank you to our fabulous ACPS bus drivers! 🚌 https://t.co/3DfKs4QYay
— Alexandria City Public Schools (@ACPSk12) January 12, 2023
Local leaders, members of our board and advisory committee, and our riders have a lot to say about the impact of of more frequent service on Line 30. 💙💛https://t.co/qU7es7QZyt
— DASH Bus (@DASHBus) January 11, 2023
Next week's trash, recycling, and yard collection will not be collected on Monday, January 16 due to Martin Luther King Jr. Day and "slides" one day later. Visit https://t.co/k913jORqMm for more information and to view this year's holiday collection schedule. pic.twitter.com/GKlkGuK2pN
— Alexandria Transportation & Environmental Services (@AlexandriaVATES) January 12, 2023
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today and this weekend in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- 4:00 pm Saturday: The 6th Annual Onesie Bar Crawl – Alexandria
As rainfall travels down the hills of the Parkfairfax neighborhood, the momentum sweeps it past the slim gutters meant to catch the water, propelling it further downhill to devastating effect….
Cloud is a 10-year-old black and brown medium-haired cat searching for her forever home. Currently up for adoption at the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria, she has a decade of…
A 23-year-old Lorton man was charged with driving while intoxicated after allegedly crashing into four cars in Old Town. The crash occurred near the intersection of S. Patrick Street and…
Good Tuesday morning, Alexandria! ☔ Today’s weather: Light rain in the morning and afternoon. High of 51 and low of 33. ⛅ Tomorrow: Mostly cloudy throughout the day. High of…
Hi, my name is Moneim Z., and I am a blind male with chronic kidney disease, who needs a living kidney donor for a transplant. My blood type is B+, and I can accept a kidney from individuals who have blood types B and O.
To read my story, please see the attached letter.
To contact me directly, please email me at [email protected] or call at 571-428-5065. My living donor coordinator at INOVA Hospital, Amileen Cruz can be reached at (703) 776-8370 , or via email at [email protected]
If you’re looking for a mental health professional in Virginia, Washington D.C., or Maryland, we can help.
We provide a confidential and convenient way to get the help you need from the comfort of your own home.
We offer a free 15-minute consultation to see if our services fit your needs.
The services we offer are: