Alexandria City Public Schools is looking for community input on its national search for a new superintendent. The school system wants to hire the superintendent by the end of March and for them to start work on July 1, 2023.
“We are excited about our search for a permanent superintendent for ACPS and want to encourage all internal and external stakeholders to please share their input to help inform this search,” said Board Chair Meagan L. Alderton. “It is important for the School Board to hear from community members as we consider the needs of our school division and the characteristics of the next superintendent to lead ACPS in the future.”
ACPS hired Interim Superintendent Melanie Kay-Wyatt after the resignation of Superintendent Gregory Hutchings, Jr. in June. Kay-Wyatt has not indicated whether she will apply for the permanent position.
Recruiting firm McPherson & Jacobson is identifying and screening candidates.
The superintendent’s job description is below.
The candidate must have the background, skills, and abilities essential for excellence in educational leadership to include high expectations, being data driven and maintaining a culture of accountability throughout the division. Experience as a superintendent or in a central office leadership position in a diverse, suburban/urban district to include classroom teaching experience is required. Doctorate and Virginia Superintendent certification – or eligibility for it – are required as is a preference for living in the city of Alexandria. The Board is seeking a candidate with the following desired characteristics:
- An educational leader with a proven track record of leading teams to implement equitable practices that result in improved academic achievement in a suburban/urban school division.
- A leader with experience in the successful development and implementation of a division-wide strategic plan with the understanding that the current plan must continue to be implemented with fidelity through 2025.
- A leader who builds consensus through collaboration resulting in trust and mutual respect throughout the division and the broader community.
- A steward of public resources with expertise in budget development, the ability to foster positive relationships with the city government officials and experience in carrying out capital projects.
- An effective communicator whose vision can be translated into practical terms for all stakeholders in the division and the broader community.
- A leader with the ability to identify staff’s potential and build capacity throughout the organization.
As rainfall travels down the hills of the Parkfairfax neighborhood, the momentum sweeps it past the slim gutters meant to catch the water, propelling it further downhill to devastating effect….
Cloud is a 10-year-old black and brown medium-haired cat searching for her forever home. Currently up for adoption at the Animal Welfare League of Alexandria, she has a decade of…
A 23-year-old Lorton man was charged with driving while intoxicated after allegedly crashing into four cars in Old Town. The crash occurred near the intersection of S. Patrick Street and…
Good Tuesday morning, Alexandria! ☔ Today’s weather: Light rain in the morning and afternoon. High of 51 and low of 33. ⛅ Tomorrow: Mostly cloudy throughout the day. High of…
Hi, my name is Moneim Z., and I am a blind male with chronic kidney disease, who needs a living kidney donor for a transplant. My blood type is B+, and I can accept a kidney from individuals who have blood types B and O.
To read my story, please see the attached letter.
To contact me directly, please email me at [email protected] or call at 571-428-5065. My living donor coordinator at INOVA Hospital, Amileen Cruz can be reached at (703) 776-8370 , or via email at [email protected]
If you’re looking for a mental health professional in Virginia, Washington D.C., or Maryland, we can help.
We provide a confidential and convenient way to get the help you need from the comfort of your own home.
We offer a free 15-minute consultation to see if our services fit your needs.
The services we offer are: