After more than 10 years in development, the high-capacity Duke Street Transitway is getting the show on the road.
The Alexandria City Council, at its meeting March 8, will vote on authorizing the city manager to appoint an Ad Hoc Duke Street Transitway Advisory Group. The nine-person body will spend the next year providing recommendations for corridor design alternatives, and will endorse a preferred alternative by spring 2023.
The new advisory group will be tasked with adopting or amending the 2012 Transit Corridors Feasibility Plan, which outlines the project below:
- It would create dedicated transit lanes in existing six-lane sections of Duke Street between Landmark Mall and Jordan Street and between Roth Street and Diagonal Road
- In the remaining section of Duke Street between Jordan Street and Roth Street, transit would operate in mixed flow
- A parallel off-corridor bicycle facility should be examined to accommodate bicyclists along Duke Street and improved pedestrian facilities would be provided at intersections and near transit stations
- Preliminary implementation should prioritize enhanced pedestrian safety and improvements at Taylor Run Parkway
The advisory group will be made up of nine members:
- Transportation commissioner
- Planning Commissioner
- Alexandria Commission on Persons with Disabilities member or designee
- DASH Bus Riders Group member or designee
- Three at-large community representatives
- Representative of the development community
- Federation of Civic Associations member or designee
The city manager will designate a chair of the advisory group, and choose the three at-large members.
Good Friday morning, Alexandria! ☀️ Today’s weather: Sunny, with a high near 92. Calm wind becoming northeast 5 to 8 mph in the morning. At night: Partly cloudy, with a…
This past week saw 33 homes sold in Alexandria. The least expensive condo, single-family home or townhouse sale over the past seven days was $120,000 while the most expensive was…
Alexandria City Public Schools (ACPS) is looking for suggestions from the public on how it should update its Student Code of Conduct. The Student Code of Conduct — an 83-page…
Chadwicks (203 Strand Street) is about to get really busy. From now until mid-August, it’s the strong season for the unpretentious Old Town staple that has graced the Alexandria waterfront…
Are you seeking a confidential space where you can explore your emotions, overcome challenges, and find inner peace? Look no further than our dedicated psychotherapy service! We understand that life can be overwhelming at times, and we’re here to support you every step of the way.
At Peaceful Mind Solutions, our passion lies in helping individuals like you navigate life’s complexities and find the strength to thrive. Our skilled and compassionate therapist is committed to creating a warm, non-judgmental environment where you can express your thoughts and feelings openly. With our personalized approach, we tailor each session to address your unique needs and empower you to overcome obstacles.
Through evidence-based techniques and a deep understanding of the human mind, our therapist will guide you on a transformative journey of self-discovery. Whether you’re dealing with anxiety, depression, relationship issues, or simply seeking personal growth, we’re here to provide guidance and practical tools for lasting change.
Time flies when you’re having fun! The T.C. Williams High School Class of 1973 will hold its 50th reunion July 21-23, 2023 in Alexandria. All graduates and their adult nears and dears are welcome. Events include a Friday evening icebreaker, Saturday dinner dance, and a Sunday brunch. For more information: tcwilliams73.com, 770.789.3534.
Spring Fling at Rising Sol Yoga School
Join us for a day of FREE hot yoga. Experience our class styles and meet our teachers. Buy a bite at the Bake Sale to benefit The Carpenter’s Shelter, peruse some special vendors, take advantage of in-person only discounts on