Alexandria’s Covid numbers are still going down for the second straight week. The city has experienced 8,873 cases in January, making it one of the worst months since the beginning of the pandemic nearly two years ago.
There have been 27,353 total cases in Alexandria, an increase of 1,467 cases since this time last week. There have also been 8,873 cases reported in Alexandria so far this month, including 930 cases reported within Alexandria City Public Schools since Dec. 1, of which 288 are children and 620 are staff.
The number of deaths has climbed by two since last week to 165.
The city’s transmission rate went from “Substantial” to “High” last month.
By the numbers
- The seven day average of daily new cases is now 208, down from 337 this time last week
- The seven-day average of positive COVID-19 tests is now 21.7%, down from 27.4% last week
- There are 28,503 unvaccinated Alexandria residents
- About 70% of residents (107,389 people) are fully vaccinated
- 82% (125,965) of residents have gotten at least one dose
- As of last week, 44,419 residents have gotten a booster shot (current numbers not available on VDH website)
The last month was rough, but:
Alexandria’s new case volume and positivity rate are dropping precipitously
Hospitalizations and deaths DID NOT track the case growth
We have the 2nd-lowest positivity in Virginia
Our testing centers all have appointments available for today. pic.twitter.com/gJ4XTqcMFV
— Justin Wilson (@justindotnet) January 24, 2022
Work to expand the I-495 Express Lanes to the north is only just warming up, but the Virginia Department of Transportation is now turning its attention to the southern end of…
A 37-year-old Maryland man is being held without bond after allegedly sexually assaulting a girl younger than 13 years old in the Braddock area. The incident occurred at around 9…
Local non-profits donate school supplies — “On Wednesday May 18, 2022, the entrance of Francis C. Hammond Middle School was flooded with backpacks of school, hygiene, and arts and crafts supplies.”…
Alexandria’s Part 1 crime rate is up, and it’s mostly due to an increase in larcenies and thefts from cars. Police released the city’s Part 1 crime statistics for 2022…