Alexandria’s Covid numbers are going down, but the numbers of new reported cases continues to rise by the hundreds on a daily basis.
There have been 26,907 total cases reported by the Virginia Department of Health as of today (Monday, Jan. 18), and the number of deaths has climbed by two since last week to 163. Sunday, Jan. 17, saw the the fewest single day number of cases reported so far this year with 191 new cases.
There have been 7,406 cases reported in Alexandria so far this month alone. The city’s transmission rate went from “Substantial” to “High” last month.
By the numbers
- The seven day average of daily new cases is now 337, down from 409 this time last week
- The seven-day average of positive COVID-19 tests is now 27.4%, down from 28.6% last week
- There have been 37 cases reported within Alexandria City Public Schools so far this month
- There are 28,503 unvaccinated Alexandria residents
- About 70% of residents (107,033 people) are fully vaccinated
- 82% (125,377) of residents have gotten at least one dose
- 44,419 residents have gotten a booster shot
With a potential wave of evictions incoming next month, a group representing tenants of Southern Towers is trying to indirectly pressure the building’s owner into giving residents a reprieve. The…
Alexandria Police have released the identities of the two men killed on Insterstate 495 near Telegraph Road on May 12. Abdellah Bougrine, 54, of Alexandria, and Driss Bougrine, 59, of…
Mother of teen killed in attempted carjacking speaks out — “A mother is mourning the death of her 18-year-old son, who was fatally shot Friday in Alexandria, Virginia, after police say…
(Updated 5:30 p.m.) Alexandria law enforcement is investigating the death of Anthony Mouf, a 25-year-old Fairfax County man in Alexandria’s William G. Truesdale Adult Detention Center According to a city…