This week saw possibly the most contentious meeting between the City Council and School Board in years for a debate over School Resources Officers that ultimately culminated in the Council voting to temporarily restore the program. The reversal has been advocated by school officials and some parents, but was lamented by advocacy group Tenants and Workers United that saw it as a step-backward for racial justice.
The following day, ACPS was also hit with lockdowns at Alexandria City High School’s King Street and Minnie Howard campuses and Hammond Middle School, though police later said initial calls about a school shooting were unfounded. At the same time, a gas leak near Potomac Yard led to two homes being evacuated and the temporary closure of Richmond Highway.
Here are this week’s most-read stories.
- Man injured and juvenile arrested after fight at the McDonald’s in Bradlee Shopping Center
- In dramatic reversal, City Council brings back school resource officers to Alexandria City Public Schools
- Planned bus rapid transit route from Alexandria to Tysons rolls ahead
- Alexandria City High School on lockdown after anonymous threat
- Police: Call about shooting at Hammond Middle School unfounded
- City rethinks waterfront flood mitigation plans after seeing the price tag
- Tenants and Workers United upset by City Council restoration of school resource officer program
- City Council to consider swapping parking for ‘parklets’
- Man attempts to steal $1,850 in merchandise from Restaurant Depot with discarded receipt
- Project crowdsourcing Alexandria history aims to go nationwide next year
The big story in Alexandria this week was the murder of Luis Mejia Hernandez on Tuesday. Hernandez was stabbed and killed in a brawl outside of the Mcdonald’s in the…
After a Sunday storm that knocked out power to much of the city, some locals suggested Dominion Energy look into undergrounding more of its utilities, but the power company says…
A 3 BD/2.5 BA home with a slate patio, fully finished basement and over 2,000 sq. ft. is included in Open Houses.
A severe thunderstorm warning has been issued for Alexandria and the city is starting to see heavy rainfall. The city is also under an areal flood watch. “The National Weather…