Next week is a double-hitter in terms of holidays, with Martin Luther King Jr. Day on Monday and Inauguration Day on Wednesday.
As with many holidays, all government offices will be completely closed on both days, but other services around the city are operating on different schedules:
- Residential trash and recycling will not be collected on Monday, with pickup delayed by one day throughout the week. Monday collection will be on Tuesday, Tuesday on Wednesday, and so-on. The hazardous waste center at 3224 Colvin Street will be closed on Monday.
- The animal shelter will be open be open from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. by appointment only
- Schools will be closed on Monday, but virtual classes will be held on Wednesday.
- All library services will be closed on Monday and Wednesday.
- The Alexandria Police Department also announced that they will suspend enforcement of parking restrictions at metered spaces and residential permit parking districts on Monday and Wednesday, though parking in normally prohibited zones is still subject to fines or towing.
- DASH bus service will operate on a Saturday schedule on Monday but will run regular service on Wednesday. The trolly remains suspended until further notice.
It was a big week for getting a glimpse at Alexandria’s future. At a meeting this week, Deputy Director for Infrastructure and Environmental Quality Bill Skrabak offered an in-depth look…
The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) has unveiled the bluebell and cherry blossom-inspired art that will wrap around the exterior of the new Potomac Yard Metro station. Artist Rob…
A 2 BD/2 BA renovated townhome with an open floor plan, patio and fenced backyard in featured in Just Listed.
Alexandria transportation officials say that a pilot program to ease evening congestion on and around Duke Street is working and they want to make the changes permanent. City staff announced…
St. Paul’s Episcopal Preschool, a play-based, half-day preschool in the heart of Old Town, Alexandria has limited openings for the ’23-’24 school year.
- 18 month old – Kindergarten classes
- Full day Kindergarten option (3 days/week)
- Early Care
- Transportation (ages 3+)
- Weekly Field Trips (ages 3+)
- Financial Aid available
Monarch Montessori School located in the heart of Del Ray is enrolling children 6 weeks to 6 years of age for our half day and full day program.
Our hours of operation are 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM, Monday-Friday. Monarch Montessori School is open year round, with intermittent breaks.
Children engage in self-directed, self-initiated activities under the guidance of a trained Montessori teacher. Classroom sizes range from 8-12 students. Our robust curriculum includes botany, sensorial activities, the social graces, culture, math, science, practical life, geography, music appreciation and language arts.
You’ll get half off of the registration fee when you register and begin care with us before April 30, 2023.
Del Ray Dog Fest & Yappy Hour
The 1st Annual Del Ray Dog Fest is a fun outdoor event that will include dog-centered activities, dog menu items, live music, vendors and food on Sunday, April 2 from 11am- 3pm at the George Washington Middle School parking lot.