Two more Alexandria residents have died from COVID-19, and the death toll from the virus now stands at 88. The city has reached 7,538 cases, an increase of 431 cases since this time last week.
The victims were a woman and a man, and one was in their 40s and the other in their 70s, according to the Virginia Department of Health.
On the vaccine front, 1,032 vaccines have been administered to health care workers and seniors in nursing homes in Alexandria. There have been more than 200,000 doses of the vaccine distributed across Virginia, and a total of 87,618 first doses have been administered, according to the Virginia Department of Health.
Across Virginia, there have been 4,861 deaths and there are or have been 336,175 cases of the virus. There have also been 4.4 million PCR (polymerase chain reaction) tests and the state’s seven-day positivity rate is 15.4%.
There are or have been 3,941 women (with 40 deaths) and 3,575 men (with 47 deaths) in Alexandria with the virus. The only age groups that have not experienced a death are children and teenagers.
- 80+ — 38 deaths, 196 cases
- 70-79 — 21 deaths, 251 cases
- 60-69 — Nine deaths, 572 cases
- 50-59 — 14 deaths, 897 cases
- 40-49 — One death, 1,282 cases
- 30-39 — Two deaths, 1,737 cases
- 20-29 — One death, 1,523 cases
- 10-19 — Zero deaths, 533 cases
- 0-9 — Zero deaths, 523 cases
Latino residents have the most infections with 2,900 reported cases (with 15 deaths), white residents with 1,741 cases (46 deaths), and Black residents with 1,503 cases (21 deaths). There are 306 cases with Asian or Pacific Islander residents (one death), 205 cases classified as “other” (two deaths) and seven native American cases (no deaths).
There have also been 64 outbreaks in the city, including 19 at long term care facilities, 34 in congregate settings, six in child care settings, one at a college, one in a K-12 setting and two at a correctional facility. There have been 675 cases associated with the outbreaks. Health care workers also make up 459 positive COVID cases, according to VDH.
There have been 89,826 COVID tests administered in the city; 6,076 antibody tests and 4,893 antigen tests. The city’s seven-day positivity rate is now at 10.9%.
- Arlington County has 9,290 cases, 182 deaths and a 11.2% seven-day positivity rate
- Fairfax County has 46,595 cases, 703 deaths and a 14.5% seven-day positivity rate
- Loudoun County has 14,569 cases, 161 deaths and a 16.2% seven-day positivity rate
Need a test? Find out where tests are administered here.
Cases By ZIP Code
The areas of the city with the leading number of cases are the 22304, 22305 and 22312 ZIP codes, which include the West End and Arlandria, Potomac Yard and Potomac West neighborhoods.
Some of the areas share jurisdictions between Alexandria and Arlington and Fairfax Counties:
- 22301 — 340 cases, 8,203 people tested (Estimated population 15,171)
- 22302 — 858 cases, 14,534 people tested (Estimated population 20,238)
- 22304 — 2,448 cases, 26,588 people tested (Estimated population 54,003)
- 22305 — 1,266 cases, 9,985 people tested (Estimated population 16,095)
- 22311 — 1,274 cases, 11,027 people tested (Estimated population 16,898)
- 22312 — 1,865 cases, 14,797 people tested (Estimated population 6,901)
- 22314 — 953 cases, 19,489 people tested (Estimated population 47,826)
Photo via CDC/Unsplash