Alexandria is on the brink of reaching 3,000 coronavirus cases, as the city has seen more than 100 new cases reported in the last five days.
There are now or have been 2,976 cases of the virus in Alexandria, which is an increase of 104 new cases in the last five days. Last Friday, 30 new cases were reported after a Virginia Department of Health backlog that was updated, according to the city.
The number of fatalities in the city remains unchanged at 60, since the most recent death was reported on August 4. Statewide, there are 2,327 COVID-related fatalities throughout Virginia, and there are or have been 100,749 cases.
It is not clear how many city residents have recovered from the virus. There have also been 278 total hospitalizations since the beginning of the pandemic in March, and Alexandria Hospital staff are concerned of a resurgence in cases.
Latino residents in the city have been hardest hit with 1,507 reported cases, followed by Black residents with 563 cases, white residents with 554 cases, Asian or Pacific Islander residents with 103 cases; 51 cases classified as “other” and two native American cases.
Age and Sex Breakdown
There are or have been 1,537 women (with 33 deaths) and 1,430 men (with 27 deaths) in Alexandria with the virus.
- 80+ — 27 deaths, 100 cases
- 70-79 — 18 deaths, 109 cases
- 60-69 — Three deaths, 238 cases
- 50-59 — 11 deaths, 371 cases
- 40-49 — Zero deaths, 550 cases
- 30-39 — Zero deaths, 686 cases
- 20-29 — One death, 531 cases
- 10-19 — Zero deaths, 215 cases
- 0-9 — Zero deaths, 165 cases
There have been 24,611 PCR (polymerase chain reaction) tests administered in Alexandria so far, and the city’s seven-day positivity rate shows a 5.4% infection rate of those tested (no change from last week). There have also been 3,711 antibody tests in Alexandria.
Cases By ZIP Code
The areas of the city with the leading number of cases are the 22304, 22305 and 22312 ZIP codes, which include the West End and Arlandria, Potomac Yard and Potomac West neighborhoods.
Some of the areas share jurisdictions between Alexandria and Arlington and Fairfax Counties:
- 22301 — 101 cases, 1,877 people tested (Estimated population 15,171)
- 22302 — 300 cases, 3,746 people tested (Estimated population 20,238)
- 22304 — 895 cases, 7,476 people tested (Estimated population 54,003)
- 22305 — 662 cases, 3,405 people tested (Estimated population 16,095)
- 22311 — 564 cases, 3,614 people tested (Estimated population 16,898)
- 22312 — 752 cases, 4,478 people tested (Estimated population 6,901)
- 22314 — 280 cases, 4,491 people tested (Estimated population 47,826)
Fingerprints have linked a 59-year-old Alexandria man to a February 25 robbery at the 7-Eleven at 3412 Mount Vernon Avenue in the Arlandria area. The same suspect, Stanley Rivers, was…
(Updated 9:30 p.m.) After advancing in two straight preliminary races, Noah Lyles will run for the gold medal in the Tokyo Olympics on Wednesday. Lyles’s family is staying at a…
Last year marked the first time in 14 years that ACPS saw an enrollment decrease, and with schools headed back to in-person teaching at the end of the month it’s…
A 5 BD/3.5 BA home on a half-acre lot sold for $2.5 million, making it one of the most expensive homes sold in July.