Alexandria’s death toll from the coronavirus hit 60 yesterday, and Inova Alexandria Hospital staff are concerned about a resurgence.
Hospital staff are experiencing burnout, and they are currently treating 16 COVID patients in the hospital and nine symptomatic persons, Inova Alexandria Hospital President Dr. Rina Bansal told ALXnow.
“Our teams are exhausted, and they are burned out,” Bansal said. “COVID is nowhere near controlled nationally… As we start to see a few more patients in the ICU, our teams rightfully are wondering if we’re going back to what we experienced in March and April.”
During that period, the hospital saw upward of 90 coronavirus patients. Visitation is still restricted at the facility, which saw about 30 COVID patients in the early days of the pandemic.
The most recent fatality in Alexandria is a woman in her 80s.
There are now or have been 2,872 cases of the virus in Alexandria, which is an increase of 28 cases since Monday. There are 2,274 COVID-related fatalities throughout Virginia, and there are or have been 95,049 cases. It is also not clear how many city residents have recovered from the virus.
Latino residents in the city have been hardest hit with 1,482 reported cases, followed by white residents with 531 cases and Black residents with 524 cases.
Age and Sex Breakdown
There are or have been 1,481 women (with 33 deaths) and 1,383 men (with 27 deaths) in Alexandria with the virus.
- 80+ — 27 deaths, 97 cases
- 70-79 — 18 deaths, 108 cases
- 60-69 — Three deaths, 232 cases
- 50-59 — 11 deaths, 359 cases
- 40-49 — Zero deaths, 530 cases
- 30-39 — Zero deaths, 663 cases
- 20-29 — One death, 499 cases
- 10-19 — Zero deaths, 211 cases
- 0-9 — Zero deaths, 162 cases
- Missing — Eight cases not listed by age
There have been 23,288 PCR (polymerase chain reaction) tests administered in Alexandria so far, and the city’s seven-day positivity rate shows a 5.4% infection rate of those tested. There have also been 3,550 antibody tests in Alexandria.
Cases By ZIP Code
The areas of the city with the leading number of cases are the 22304, 22305 and 22312 ZIP codes, which include the West End and Arlandria, Potomac Yard and Potomac West neighborhoods.
Some of the areas share jurisdictions between Alexandria and Arlington and Fairfax Counties:
- 22301 — 98 cases, 1,760 people tested (Estimated population 15,171)
- 22302 — 285 cases, 3,592 people tested (Estimated population 20,238)
- 22304 — 851 cases, 7,098 people tested (Estimated population 54,003)
- 22305 — 656 cases, 3,239 people tested (Estimated population 16,095)
- 22311 — 547 cases, 3,462 people tested (Estimated population 16,898)
- 22312 — 734 cases, 4,245 people tested (Estimated population 6,901)
- 22314 — 265 cases, 4,142 people tested (Estimated population 47,826)
Staff photo by James Cullum