Alexandria City Public Schools has added two more mobile pop-up breakfast and lunch distribution locations for “grab and go” meals for children over the age of two.
The school system is also asking families to fill out a survey on its operations during the COVID-19 shutdown.
“It’s been almost two months since we closed our school buildings in an effort to combat the spread of COVID-19 and adhere to our Governor’s stay-at-home order. Today, we want to hear from you to help us assess how we continue to serve and meet your needs through our COVID-19 situation,” ACPS Superintendent Dr. Gregory Hutchings wrote in an early morning email on Wednesday. “We are asking that you please take two to three minutes to complete our quick Pulse survey. We will be administering these surveys every three weeks from now through the remainder of the academic year.”
Hutchings added, “The results will be used to help us assess whether we are meeting your expectations as well as how we can continue to support you. The anonymous information you provide to us will directly impact the way we provide each of you with the necessary support during these unprecedented times.”
Food distribution at all the ACPS locations has also been limited to Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays to encourage social distancing during the COVID-19 pandemic that has shuttered the school system for the rest of the academic year.
Parents and students can pick up two days worth of meals, which consist of a cold breakfast and lunch, including fresh fruits and vegetables, salads and sandwiches.
Registration is not required to receive meals, according to ACPS.
ACPS is distributing food at the following locations:
- William Ramsay Elementary School, 5700 Sanger Avenue, from 9 a.m. to noon
- Francis C. Hammond Middle School, 4646 Seminary Road, from 9 a.m. to noon
- Cora Kelly School for Math, Science and Technology, 3600 Commonwealth Avenue, from 9 a.m. to noon
- Jefferson-Houston PreK-8 IB School, 1501 Cameron Street, from 9 a.m. to noon
- T.C. Williams High School, 3330 King Street, from 9 a.m. to noon
- Mason Apartments at South Reynolds Street, from 10:45 to 11:15 a.m.
- Brent Place Apartments at 375 South Reynolds Street, from 11:20 to 11:50 a.m.
- Ruby Tucker Family Center at 322 Tancil Court, from 10:45 to 11:15 a.m.
- Community Lodgings at 607 Notabene Drive, from 10:45 to 11:15 a.m.
- Old Towne West Apartments (parking lot) at 500 South Alfred Street, from 11:20 to 11:50 a.m.
- Corner of Florence Drive and Four Mile Road, from 10:45 to 11:15 a.m.
- The Fields of Alexandria at 4309 Duke Street, from 10:45 to 11:15 a.m.
- Bennington Crossing Apartment Homes at 441 North Armistead Street, from 11:30 a.m. to noon
Staff photo by James Cullum