The ACT Now COVID-19 Response Fund has raised more than $500,000, and more than $350,000 has been given to 39 local nonprofits.
The city donated $100,000 at the onset of the outbreak of COVID-19, and Amazon donated $200,ooo toward the effort, according to ACT for Alexandria.
As of this week, $95,400 in grants was awarded to 11 nonprofits in the city, with most of the funds going toward emergency food, supplies and financial assistance in the city.
The recent grants were awarded to:
- Dar Al-Hijrah Islamic Center’s Food Bank: The Food Bank, which has seen requests double, provides culturally appropriate food and personal hygiene items. Funding will allow them to expand their mobile distribution sites to reach those who are home-bound and disproportionately impacted communities in the West End.
- Offender Aid and Restoration of Arlington will provide financial assistance for medical expenses, utilities, transportation and vocational training to people who have recently returned to Alexandria from incarceration and who are set back by the virus outbreak.
- St. Martin de Porres Senior Center is keeping vulnerable seniors connected with medical consultations, case management and other supports.
As of April 2, 2020, The ACT Now COVID-19 Response Fund has awarded more than $350,000 in grants to the following organizations:
- AHC, Inc.
- Alexandria Housing Development Corporation
- Basilica of St. Mary St. Vincent de Paul Society
- Best Buddies
- Capital Caring Health
- Carpenter’s Shelter
- Casa Chirilagua
- Catholic Charities Migration and Refugee Services
- Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Arlington
- Christ Church
- Christ Church Refugee Ministry
- Communities in Schools NOVA
- Community Lodgings
- Dar Al-Hijrah Islamic Center
- Family to Family, Old Presbyterian Meeting House
- Friends of Guest House
- Fruitful Planet
- Mother of Light Center
- Neighborhood Health
- Northern Virginia Family Services
- Nueva Vida
- OAR of Arlington, Alexandria & Falls Church
- Phoenix Houses of the Mid-Atlantic
- Project ID & Spread the Vote
- SCAN of Northern Virginia
- Senior Services of Alexandria
- Senior Services of Alexandria
- St. Paul’s-Lazarus
- St. Rita Church
- The Campagna Center
- The Child & Family Network Centers
- Together We Bake
- United Community
- Urban Alliance
- Volunteer Alexandria
- Volunteers of America Chesapeake
- Wesley Housing Development Corporation
- YMCA Metropolitan Washington
Staff photo by James Cullum
Bonaventure has released its second concept design for its mixed use shopping center proposal for 2525 Mount Vernon Avenue in the middle of Del Ray. Bonaventure made a few big…
(Updated 11:30 a.m.) Three arrests have been made in an attempting carjacking in Potomac Yard on Friday that left one dead and another injured. Police said that Jordan Poteat, an…
The City of Alexandria has announced that the long-awaited Freedom House Museum (1315 Duke Street) is scheduled to reopen near the end of this month. The museum is scheduled to…
Ting kicks off its internet service — “A company called Tucows is bringing its Ting Internet service to Alexandria in the coming months.” [Alexandria Living Magazine] It’s Tuesday — Clear throughout…