Just Listed highlights Alexandria City properties that came on the market within the past week. This feature is sponsored by the Jen Walker Team (Licensed in VA) of McEnearney Associates Realtors®.
Jen Walker here with The Jen Walker Team! We are a real estate group based out of Alexandria, Virginia. I, along with my two rock-star team members, Sue Kovalsky and Micki MacNaughton, have more than 35 years of experience in real estate and sold over $103 million in 2019.
With the hot spring market right around the corner, it’s that time of year that everyone looking to make the big move starts thinking, should I buy a new home or a fixer-upper? Let me tell you, that question is harder answered than you’d expect. With all major decisions, there are pros and cons to both.
Let’s start with a new build.
- No “surprise” fixes. If there are surprises that arise, the fix will more than likely be covered by your builder’s warranty
- No health hazards that could be lurking inside of the walls (asbestos, mold, lead paint, etc.)
- Everything is up to code
- Easier to predict your budget since there are fewer surprises that arise. Go ahead and get that couch you’ve been dreaming of
- No need to do updates to the electric, plumbing, HVAC systems
- You can move in immediately! Doesn’t that sound wonderful?!
- You have plenty of options for landscaping as there usually isn’t a well-established yard
- Materials used to build homes nowadays aren’t as “sturdy” materials used in modern times
- Fewer options for customization
- Less room for price negotiation
And the pros of a fixer-upper:
- Generally located in a more established neighborhood with wider streets and more trees
- Can have more character with old fireplaces, crown molding, lots of windows, cozy niches, etc.
- Ability to fully customize your dream home
- Greater chance to make a larger return on your investment if you ever sell
- Homes are usually filled with an interesting history
- Strong building materials
- Your list of to-do’s and things to decide is quite extensive
- Budgeting is hard when you run into unforeseen hurdles (new roof, new plumbing, termites, etc.)
- There could be a safety concern with asbestos, lead paint, mold, fire hazards with old wiring
- It tends to become very time consuming and may take away from your cherished weekends
As you can see, there are many things to weigh with both a new build and a fixer-upper and this is just the tip of the iceberg. Each home and each situation is different. However, we can help you determine which option is best for you.
There are a lot of things to consider, and we have the experience and connections with some of the best builders around to ensure that whatever route you choose to take, it is the right one for YOU.
Want to check out some Just Listed properties in the Alexandria area? The following properties feature a snapshot of what is new on the market. Click here for more Just Listed properties in Alexandria and call The Jen Walker Team to schedule a home tour at 703-675-1566 or email [email protected].
- 4611 Lambert Place, Alexandria 22311 — $769,999
- 1301 Van Valkenburgh Lane, Alexandria 22301 — $1,040,000
- 1213 Powhatan Street, Alexandria 22314 — $698,000
- 34 W Glebe Road, Alexandria 22305 — $725,000
- 2940 Hickory Street, Alexandria 22305 — $649,000
- 2908 Hickory Street, Alexandria 22305 — $674,900
Happy House Hunting!
In our highly competitive Alexandria market, the Jen Walker Team has the insider knowledge to connect you with homes that are not even public yet. With more than 35 years of experience, the Jen Walker Team has the expertise to answer questions, calm fears, and streamline your transaction. Want to see other homes not featured in this article? Contact our team today!
Please note: While The Jen Walker Team provides this information for the community, they may not be the listing agents of these homes. Equal Housing Opportunity.
McEnearney Associates Realtors®, 109 S. Pitt Street, Alexandria, VA 22314 #WeAreAlexandria
This past week saw 33 homes sold in Alexandria. The least expensive condo, single-family home or townhouse sale over the past seven days was $120,000 while the most expensive was…
Alexandria City Public Schools (ACPS) is looking for suggestions from the public on how it should update its Student Code of Conduct. The Student Code of Conduct — an 83-page…
Chadwicks (203 Strand Street) is about to get really busy. From now until mid-August, it’s the strong season for the unpretentious Old Town staple that has graced the Alexandria waterfront…
Potomac Yard’s microbrewery Hops Grill and Brewery didn’t live to see the new Potomac Yard Metro station open, but the Washington Business Journal reported the location at 3625 Richmond Highway…
Are you seeking a confidential space where you can explore your emotions, overcome challenges, and find inner peace? Look no further than our dedicated psychotherapy service! We understand that life can be overwhelming at times, and we’re here to support you every step of the way.
At Peaceful Mind Solutions, our passion lies in helping individuals like you navigate life’s complexities and find the strength to thrive. Our skilled and compassionate therapist is committed to creating a warm, non-judgmental environment where you can express your thoughts and feelings openly. With our personalized approach, we tailor each session to address your unique needs and empower you to overcome obstacles.
Through evidence-based techniques and a deep understanding of the human mind, our therapist will guide you on a transformative journey of self-discovery. Whether you’re dealing with anxiety, depression, relationship issues, or simply seeking personal growth, we’re here to provide guidance and practical tools for lasting change.
Time flies when you’re having fun! The T.C. Williams High School Class of 1973 will hold its 50th reunion July 21-23, 2023 in Alexandria. All graduates and their adult nears and dears are welcome. Events include a Friday evening icebreaker, Saturday dinner dance, and a Sunday brunch. For more information: tcwilliams73.com, 770.789.3534.
Spring Fling at Rising Sol Yoga School
Join us for a day of FREE hot yoga. Experience our class styles and meet our teachers. Buy a bite at the Bake Sale to benefit The Carpenter’s Shelter, peruse some special vendors, take advantage of in-person only discounts on