Alexandria’s DASH bus system is inviting the public to provide input on a new zero-emissions electric bus.
The 60-foot-long Xcelsior CHARGE XE60 bus can carry more than 120 people, and will be available for the public to take a test ride late this week. The event is happening on Wednesday from 4-6 p.m. at Market Square (301 King St.).
DASH has been experimenting with the bus since last week in an effort to replace its older articulated (connected by a joint) buses. The bus is also being tried out on various routes this week, including one used by Mayor Justin Wilson on Monday morning.
— Justin Wilson (@justindotnet) February 10, 2020
The bus is made by New Flyer of America, and was provided to the city free of charge during the demonstration.
- Highest battery storage capacity and range of any zero-emissions bus available in the United States.
- Ability to serve all current or future routes within the City (navigates tighter turns than many current DASH buses due to special turning technology)
- Nearly doubles passenger capacity for routes with overcrowding issues (carries 120-130 passengers vs. 80 on current DASH buses)
- 3 articulated buses can replace 4 standard buses, reducing long term operating and capital costs
- Remedies bunching issues on routes where too many buses create service reliability issues
Photo via Justin Wilson/Facebook
Alexandria’s Part 1 crime rate is up, and it’s mostly due to an increase in larcenies and thefts from cars. Police released the city’s Part 1 crime statistics for 2022…
Terrier mix Carlie might be a handful, but she makes up for it with positive energy. The three-year-old’s adoption fees have also been pre-paid by a generous donor, and the…
A 13-year-old boy was robbed by a group of males in the 4600 block of Kenmore Avenue on May 12 (Thursday). The incident occurred at around 4 p.m. near the…
With a potential wave of evictions incoming next month, a group representing tenants of Southern Towers is trying to indirectly pressure the building’s owner into giving residents a reprieve. The…