It was a tense week in Alexandria.
Meanwhile, police have also been trying to determine who abandoned a toddler at 8 S. Van Dorn Street that evening. Police said they’ve been in contact with members of the family and the child is currently in the custody of child protective services.
The most-read stories this week were:
- BREAKING: Police evacuate Charles Barrett Elementary due to threat (11074 views)
- Asteroid collision that killed the dinosaurs unveiled as new public art at Alexandria’s Waterfront Park (8027 views)
- Alexandria police investigating two Sunday night shootings (4623 views)
- Alexandria City Council approves redevelopment in Old Town North with more affordable housing for seniors (4265 views)
- Off-site parking and shuttles are being considered for the new arena at Potomac Yard (4179 views)
- Notes: Man shot in lobby of West End hotel Monday night, suspect taken into custody (2412 views)
- Theft from Alexandria’s Virginia ABC stores jumped more than 200% in 2023 (2316 views)
- Family assisting Alexandria Police Department in abandoned toddler investigation (2207 views)
- More ‘no turn on red’ restrictions coming to Old Town North (1895 views)
- Alexandria man held without bond after allegedly shooting coworker in face with BB gun (1864 views)
A bit of a slower news week in Alexandria. The fight over the Potomac Yard arena was still ongoing and Metro funding got tied up into the mix. Over the…
A new pilot program to step up parking enforcement in Old Town netted 4,000 citations in its first month. A staff memo (page 8) to the Traffic and Parking Board…
The Alexandria School Board approved its fiscal year 2025 $384.4 million combined funds budget on Thursday night and it is asking City Council for $21 million more than the previous…
A 4 BD/3 BA brick townhome with a gas fireplace, floor to ceiling windows and a 2 car garage is featured in Just Listed.
Are you looking to work on health and fitness from the comfort of your own home?
Skip the big box gym and try out our in-home personal training service. We bring the gym to you so that you can save time and avoid the hassle of going the the crowded gym.
We bring all the equipment you need for a solid workout and if you have a community gym we can use that too.
We offer programs that will help with weight loss, strength, flexibility, more energy and overall feeling better.
Peace in Gaza: Prayer Liturgy and Community Discussion for Peace in Arlington VA, Sunday, Feb. 11, 10:15 AM
Prayer, liturgy, and community discussion for peace in Gaza, an immediate cease fire and resumption of humanitarian aid will be hosted by Nova Catholic Community. The focus will be Pope Francis’ call for an immediate ceasefire, the release of all hostages, resumption of humanitarian aid for Palestinians in Gaza, and peace talks for a lasting and just peace for all people in the region.
Discussion will follow at Noon on US military role in the conflict and appropriate steps the US should take to foster peace and rebuilding. Light lunch served.
Again this year, The Critical Mass, LLC, the Made in ALX store and local Ukrainian-American artists are throwing a Pysanky Party — and partnering on a fundraiser for the nonprofit organization Razom for Ukraine.
The free event, from 5 –