Good Wednesday morning, Alexandria!
🌧️ Today’s weather: Sprinkles are possible before 3pm, followed by a slight chance of rain and patchy fog after 9am. Expect cloudy skies with a high near 47 and a southeast wind at 3-5 mph. There is a 20% chance of precipitation. Wednesday night, rain is likely after 1am, accompanied by patchy fog. Cloudy conditions will continue, with temperatures rising to 52 by 4am and south winds at 6-8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%, with less than a tenth of an inch of new precipitation possible.
🚨 You need to know
The City of Alexandria is collecting people’s fun anecdotes about the city for a 275th birthday celebration next year.
A release from Alexandria City Public Schools said the City of Alexandria is collecting stories, memories and experiences from locals.
According to the release:
The City of Alexandria is planning fun and inspiring activities to celebrate its 275th birthday next year, and we want you to be a part of it. Here’s a new opportunity to put your creative talents to work and share your unique stories.
We are looking for Alexandria residents — including ACPS students — to share the following:
- Your Story: Share personal anecdotes, memories and experiences that reflect your connection to our great city.
- Milestones: Celebrate personal achievements or city milestones that have shaped your journey.
Here is how you can participate in this commemoration:
- Craft your creative entry: It can be a written story, art or digital media.
- If your entry is a physical piece, please provide details in the entry form below.
Virtual entries must be submitted online between Jan. 2 and March 31, 2024.
This is your chance to leave a long-lasting mark on our City’s history and be remembered for generations to come. So, unleash your creativity, let your stories shine and join us in celebrating 275 years of our extraordinary City! For more information or inquiries, email [email protected].
📈 Tuesday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Jan 23, 2024.
- Asteroid collision unveiled as new public art at Alexandria’s Waterfront Park (7212 views)
- Off-site parking and shuttles are being considered for the new arena at Potomac Yard (3992 views)
- Alexandria City Council approves redevelopment in Old Town North with more affordable housing for seniors (2922 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Alexandria Native Serves at Navy Region Mid-Atlantic
Zebra (Tuesday @ 8:27 pm)
- Alexandria Pet Of The Week: A Snuggle Couch Potato
Patch (Tuesday @ 5:12 pm)
- Confederate References Removed From Several Alexandria Streets
Patch (Tuesday @ 4:57 pm)
- Businesses, 275th Anniversary, Development: What’s New In Alexandria
Patch (Tuesday @ 12:25 pm)
- Adopt a Pet in Alexandria: Meet Stache
Zebra (Tuesday @ 11:35 am)
- Tatte Bakery and Cafe is Bringing Sweet and Savory Delights to Alexandria
Zebra (Tuesday @ 11:29 am)
- Visit Alexandria Presents New Offerings for Visitors, Locals
Alexandria Living (Tuesday @ 8:07 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- No events today. Have one to promote? Submit it to the calendar.
A bit of a slower news week in Alexandria. The fight over the Potomac Yard arena was still ongoing and Metro funding got tied up into the mix. Over the…
A new pilot program to step up parking enforcement in Old Town netted 4,000 citations in its first month. A staff memo (page 8) to the Traffic and Parking Board…
The Alexandria School Board approved its fiscal year 2025 $384.4 million combined funds budget on Thursday night and it is asking City Council for $21 million more than the previous…
A 4 BD/3 BA brick townhome with a gas fireplace, floor to ceiling windows and a 2 car garage is featured in Just Listed.
Are you looking to work on health and fitness from the comfort of your own home?
Skip the big box gym and try out our in-home personal training service. We bring the gym to you so that you can save time and avoid the hassle of going the the crowded gym.
We bring all the equipment you need for a solid workout and if you have a community gym we can use that too.
We offer programs that will help with weight loss, strength, flexibility, more energy and overall feeling better.
Peace in Gaza: Prayer Liturgy and Community Discussion for Peace in Arlington VA, Sunday, Feb. 11, 10:15 AM
Prayer, liturgy, and community discussion for peace in Gaza, an immediate cease fire and resumption of humanitarian aid will be hosted by Nova Catholic Community. The focus will be Pope Francis’ call for an immediate ceasefire, the release of all hostages, resumption of humanitarian aid for Palestinians in Gaza, and peace talks for a lasting and just peace for all people in the region.
Discussion will follow at Noon on US military role in the conflict and appropriate steps the US should take to foster peace and rebuilding. Light lunch served.
Again this year, The Critical Mass, LLC, the Made in ALX store and local Ukrainian-American artists are throwing a Pysanky Party — and partnering on a fundraiser for the nonprofit organization Razom for Ukraine.
The free event, from 5 –