Good Wednesday morning, Alexandria!
🌧️ Today’s weather: Scattered rain and snow showers are expected before 9am, followed by a slight chance of rain showers until noon. The day will be mostly cloudy with a high near 44, accompanied by a northwest wind of 6 to 14 mph and gusts up to 24 mph. There is a 30% chance of precipitation. For Wednesday night, the skies will be partly cloudy and will reach a low of around 29, with northwest wind ranging from 6 to 11 mph.
🚨 You need to know
A $300,000 donation to a Catholic school in Lincolnia helped the school with an environmentally friendly upgrade.
The donation from construction company Traylor/Shea Joint Venture helped Queen of Apostles Catholic Church (4409 Sano Street) renovate the school’s bathrooms and gymnasium with new equipment to cut down on the school’s carbon footprint, among other things.
The 159-student school is right on the Lincolnia, Fairfax, side of the border with Alexandria, not far from the Dora Kelley Nature Park.
According to a release from the school:
The recent renovations have improved the school and gymnasium in the following ways:
- The new gymnasium LED lighting has nearly doubled interior light levels and improved the color rendering in the gymnasium, which serves as a critical event space for both the school and the parish. These lights come with a very long-life expectancy. Unlike the previous fixtures, these new fixtures will not require changing for many years. Additionally, the new lights will save the school about 60% in energy costs, which will add up to thousands of dollars per year in savings.
- The new plumbing fixtures save water using sensors and minimize failure more effectively than traditional/mechanical valves.
📈 Tuesday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Dec 5, 2023.
- Notes: Home explodes in Arlington neighborhood last night amid police incident (2775 views)
- Alexandria Police Department arrests four local teens for robbery and assault at Bradlee Shopping Center McDonald’s (2132 views)
- POLICE: Arrest made after man assaulted in Landmark area (1445 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Alexandria Resident Glenn D’Amore Named President of Silver Diner
Zebra (Tuesday @ 10:38 pm)
- ALX Community Recognized by New York-Based Business Publication, Inc., for Its Philanthropic Efforts
Zebra (Tuesday @ 2:07 pm)
- VIDEO: Alexandria Virginia Holds Its 52nd Annual Scottish Christmas Walk
Zebra (Tuesday @ 1:31 pm)
- Chanukah Festival in Old Town Alexandria, Thursday, December 7
Zebra (Tuesday @ 11:49 am)
- Old Town Businesses Can Participate in Alexandria’s Upcoming George Washington Birthday Parade
Zebra (Tuesday @ 8:22 am)
- Lori’s Table Closes in Old Town
Alexandria Living (Tuesday @ 7:41 am)
- Crème de la Crème to Open Alexandria Store
Alexandria Living (Tuesday @ 7:20 am)
- Gaskins Announces Run for Mayor
Alexandria Living (Tuesday @ 7:11 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
A bit of a slower news week in Alexandria. The fight over the Potomac Yard arena was still ongoing and Metro funding got tied up into the mix. Over the…
A new pilot program to step up parking enforcement in Old Town netted 4,000 citations in its first month. A staff memo (page 8) to the Traffic and Parking Board…
The Alexandria School Board approved its fiscal year 2025 $384.4 million combined funds budget on Thursday night and it is asking City Council for $21 million more than the previous…
A 4 BD/3 BA brick townhome with a gas fireplace, floor to ceiling windows and a 2 car garage is featured in Just Listed.
Are you looking to work on health and fitness from the comfort of your own home?
Skip the big box gym and try out our in-home personal training service. We bring the gym to you so that you can save time and avoid the hassle of going the the crowded gym.
We bring all the equipment you need for a solid workout and if you have a community gym we can use that too.
We offer programs that will help with weight loss, strength, flexibility, more energy and overall feeling better.
Peace in Gaza: Prayer Liturgy and Community Discussion for Peace in Arlington VA, Sunday, Feb. 11, 10:15 AM
Prayer, liturgy, and community discussion for peace in Gaza, an immediate cease fire and resumption of humanitarian aid will be hosted by Nova Catholic Community. The focus will be Pope Francis’ call for an immediate ceasefire, the release of all hostages, resumption of humanitarian aid for Palestinians in Gaza, and peace talks for a lasting and just peace for all people in the region.
Discussion will follow at Noon on US military role in the conflict and appropriate steps the US should take to foster peace and rebuilding. Light lunch served.
Again this year, The Critical Mass, LLC, the Made in ALX store and local Ukrainian-American artists are throwing a Pysanky Party — and partnering on a fundraiser for the nonprofit organization Razom for Ukraine.
The free event, from 5 –