This reporter’s got a six-hour drive ahead of him, so we’re going to keep things snappy on this recap.
It was Halloween this week, unquestionably the best holiday in Alexandria, and the city did not disappoint this year. Thousands turned out for Del Ray’s acclaimed Halloween Parade and took over Lee Street with some spectacular costumes.
There was also a petition to cancel ACPS classes the day after Halloween. While ACPS didn’t cancel classes on Wednesday, a bomb threat forced students to evacuate Alexandria City High School early that day, forcing an early dismissal while police swept the school. No bomb or other ordinance was found.
Next week is a fairly quiet election day for Alexandria, and intrepid reporter James Cullum will be leading the site for the first half of the week while this reporter is away.
The most-read stories this week were:
- Former Bishop Ireton High School student performed on SNL this weekend (21129 views)
- Petition to cancel ACPS classes the day after Halloween raises nearly 1,200 signatures (7895 views)
- Alexandria man allegedly beaten, robbed and forced to strip naked at knifepoint in West End (6986 views)
- BREAKING: Alexandria City High School evacuated due to possible bomb threat (5499 views)
- Former manager of Hanks Oyster Bar in Old Town pleads guilty to embezzling $680K (4997 views)
- BREAKING: Thousands of Alexandrians from Seminary Hill to Del Ray hit with power outage (4621 views)
- Lost Dog Cafe hosting special adoption event this weekend for a litter of puppies (3874 views)
- Sweeping City Hall renovation plans could also reshape Market Square and nearby parking garage (3583 views)
- Alexandria police investigate alleged stabbing Sunday night in Arlandria (3476 views)
It’s been a busy week in Alexandria. Just days after Alexandria’s City Council voted unanimously to ditch single-family-only zoning, Mayor Justin Wilson announced that he would not be running for…
The days of digging through archives by address to find a historical report on a building in Alexandria could, themselves, be a thing of the past. Anyone can now easily…
Friends of Guest House needs pajamas and cozy socks for their female residents who are transitioning back to the community from prison. Realtor Maureen Clyne started the annual effort four years ago…
A 4 BD/2.5 BA home with a gas fireplace, patio and a large landscaped yard is included in Just Listed.
Get ready to Shake, Rattle and Roll with this one-of-a-kind, high-octane rockabilly concert experience! Rockabilly Rumble is the all-new, musical experience celebrating the southern rock music that exploded on the scene in the 1950s. Organized by Alexandria City High School Alum and pro-musician Sam C. Jones, this band of world-class performers will have you dancing in your Blue Suede Shoes all night long with songs made famous by Bo Ridley, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley and more. Relive their most popular hits, along with some forgotten gems. “Rockabilly Rumble” is a dance-worthy, foot stomping evening you’ll never forget!
This show is 21+ only.
YOU MUST HAVE A VALID PHYSICAL ID. A PICTURE OF YOUR ID IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Unwrap the magic of Black Friday and Small Business Saturday all weekend at Current Boutique! Dive into luxury with exclusive deals on pre-loved designer treasures, celebrating sustainable fashion with every purchase. Whether in-store or online, indulge in guilt-free glamour and support local businesses. ✨🛍️👗
💥 Sale: 25% off everything & 50% off tall boots
📅 Date: Friday November 24 – Sunday November 26