Good Friday morning, Alexandria!
⛈️ Today’s weather: Showers and thunderstorms are expected between 2pm and 5pm, followed by more showers and a potential thunderstorm after 5pm, with a high near 70°F. South winds will reach 7-11 mph, gusting up to 18 mph, with an 80% chance of precipitation. Rainfall will likely be under a tenth of an inch, but could be higher in thunderstorms. For Friday night, anticipate showers and a possible thunderstorm before 11pm, then a chance of showers between 11pm and 2am, as temperatures drop to a low of around 52°F. Winds will shift to the northwest; precipitation will remain at an 80% chance, with similar rainfall amounts as earlier in the day.
🚨 You need to know
The second annual Chalk Walk is returning to Old Town North on Saturday. From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., artists will create chalk masterpieces in 10-by-10 spaces throughout Old Town North.
The event is sponsored by the Old Town North Alliance, and more information is below.
Attendees will be invited to stroll by each site and admire the artists at work or the finished work. Kid Creation areas will be available in various locations. Old Town North shops and restaurants are open and welcome attendees.
The public is invited to attend. Admission and children’s activities are FREE. Parking is available on surrounding streets and at Canal Center; follow local signage. Begin at Canal Center and get an updated map to all the art locations.
📈 Thursday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Oct 19, 2023.
- Del Ray restaurant listed as one of Washingtonian’s Best Brunch Spots (18932 views)
- Notes: Seminary Road resident calls for change after three drivers crash into his home this year (2885 views)
- City leaders break ground on Arlandria massive affordable apartment complex (1732 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Alexandria Planning Commission November 2023
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 11:56 pm)
- City Hall Watch with Bill Rossello: Losing your say in the matter
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 11:49 pm)
- Town hall meeting leaves residents frustrated and angry
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 11:46 pm)
- Remove oversized flag on the waterfront
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 11:44 pm)
- Don’t let time slip away
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 11:40 pm)
- Medicare open enrollment
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 11:36 pm)
- What’s in a name?
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 11:29 pm)
- A Fierce and Fabulous Lady Macbeth Showcases Female Empowerment in ‘Macbeth in Stride,’ STC’s Rock/Gospel Musical
Zebra (Thursday @ 10:28 pm)
- Alexandria Nonprofit Receives $48,000 Check from RUN! GEEK! RUN!
Zebra (Thursday @ 6:16 pm)
- PHOTOS and VIDEOS: 12 Community Heroes Inducted as Living Legends of Alexandria
Zebra (Thursday @ 5:53 pm)
- Major Affordable Housing Development In Alexandria Breaks Ground
Patch (Thursday @ 3:11 pm)
- Call for Artists: Apply for City of Alexandria Residency Program
Zebra (Thursday @ 1:10 pm)
- Chalk Walk To Turn Old Town North Into Outdoor Art Studio
Patch (Thursday @ 9:41 am)
- Renaming explained
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:57 am)
- Alexandria Symphony Orchestra turns 80
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:53 am)
- Better with age: A man with a million stories
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:49 am)
- Atlas Brew Works Plans to Open Later This Year
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 8:04 am)
- Council removes panhandling restrictions
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:55 am)
- Paws in the Park held
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:50 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today and this weekend in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- 11:00 am Saturday: Spooktacular Fit Crawl
- 11:00 am Saturday: Pumpkin Palooza
- 12:00 pm Saturday: Family Family Celebration at Columbia Gardens Cemetery
- 12:30 pm Saturday: AWARE
- 3:00 pm Saturday: The 8th annual Spooky Mad Science Expo
- 6:00 pm Saturday: Movie Night in the Park
- 7:00 pm Saturday: Alexandria Choral Society: Fables
It’s been a busy week in Alexandria. Just days after Alexandria’s City Council voted unanimously to ditch single-family-only zoning, Mayor Justin Wilson announced that he would not be running for…
The days of digging through archives by address to find a historical report on a building in Alexandria could, themselves, be a thing of the past. Anyone can now easily…
Friends of Guest House needs pajamas and cozy socks for their female residents who are transitioning back to the community from prison. Realtor Maureen Clyne started the annual effort four years ago…
A 4 BD/2.5 BA home with a gas fireplace, patio and a large landscaped yard is included in Just Listed.
Get ready to Shake, Rattle and Roll with this one-of-a-kind, high-octane rockabilly concert experience! Rockabilly Rumble is the all-new, musical experience celebrating the southern rock music that exploded on the scene in the 1950s. Organized by Alexandria City High School Alum and pro-musician Sam C. Jones, this band of world-class performers will have you dancing in your Blue Suede Shoes all night long with songs made famous by Bo Ridley, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley and more. Relive their most popular hits, along with some forgotten gems. “Rockabilly Rumble” is a dance-worthy, foot stomping evening you’ll never forget!
This show is 21+ only.
YOU MUST HAVE A VALID PHYSICAL ID. A PICTURE OF YOUR ID IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Unwrap the magic of Black Friday and Small Business Saturday all weekend at Current Boutique! Dive into luxury with exclusive deals on pre-loved designer treasures, celebrating sustainable fashion with every purchase. Whether in-store or online, indulge in guilt-free glamour and support local businesses. ✨🛍️👗
💥 Sale: 25% off everything & 50% off tall boots
📅 Date: Friday November 24 – Sunday November 26