Good Wednesday morning, Alexandria!
☀️ Today’s weather: Expect mostly sunny conditions and a high temperature around 65 degrees, accompanied by a gentle west wind between 3 and 5 mph. In the evening, the sky will turn partly cloudy and the temperature will drop to around 49 degrees, with a south wind also blowing at 3 to 5 mph.
🚨 You need to know
ACPS is implementing an app called “ParentSquare” to notify parents about their child’s absence throughout the day. The app sends out notifications in the morning, at mid-day and at 6 p.m.
According to the ACPS website, families can choose to:
- Receive messages from school via email, text or mobile app.
- Choose to receive information as it comes (Instant) or all at once at around 6:00 pm (Daily Digest).
- Communicate in your preferred language.
- Send two-way texts with automated translation between staff and families.
- Receive attendance notifications with the option to send in a digital note to excuse your student’s absence.
- Sign up for parent-teacher conferences.
- Sign permission slips and more all from your computer or mobile device.
Absenteeism nearly doubled between 2019 and 2021 for Black, Hispanic, economically disadvantaged, special education, and English learning students, according to an ACPS report. A quarter of ACPS’ Hispanic students were chronically absent in 2022, as were 16% of ACPS’ Black students.
Families can download the ParentSquare app through the ACPS website.
📈 Tuesday’s most read
The following is the most-read ALXnow article for Oct 17, 2023.
🗞 Other local coverage
- Alexandria City Council Hosting Town Hall Oct. 21
Zebra (Tuesday @ 8:52 pm)
- Alexandria City Council Answers Residents’ Questions During Town Hall Sept.24
Zebra (Tuesday @ 8:18 pm)
- Registration Now Open for City of Alexandria Composting Program
Zebra (Tuesday @ 7:39 pm)
- 2023 Leaf Collection Season Approaching In Alexandria
Patch (Tuesday @ 5:04 pm)
- T.J. Maxx To Open Relocated Store In Alexandria’s Potomac Yard
Patch (Tuesday @ 12:57 pm)
- Alexandria’s Brooks Elementary Unveils Innovative Book Machine, Encouraging Love of Reading
Zebra (Tuesday @ 12:29 pm)
- Underage Alcohol Sales Targeted By Alexandria ‘Sticker Shock’ Campaign
Patch (Tuesday @ 10:40 am)
- Alexandria’s Best Businesses
Alexandria Living (Tuesday @ 7:52 am)
- ACPS Errs on Flag Position
Alexandria Living (Tuesday @ 7:28 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- No events today. Have one to promote? Submit it to the calendar.
It’s been a busy week in Alexandria. Just days after Alexandria’s City Council voted unanimously to ditch single-family-only zoning, Mayor Justin Wilson announced that he would not be running for…
The days of digging through archives by address to find a historical report on a building in Alexandria could, themselves, be a thing of the past. Anyone can now easily…
Friends of Guest House needs pajamas and cozy socks for their female residents who are transitioning back to the community from prison. Realtor Maureen Clyne started the annual effort four years ago…
A 4 BD/2.5 BA home with a gas fireplace, patio and a large landscaped yard is included in Just Listed.
Get ready to Shake, Rattle and Roll with this one-of-a-kind, high-octane rockabilly concert experience! Rockabilly Rumble is the all-new, musical experience celebrating the southern rock music that exploded on the scene in the 1950s. Organized by Alexandria City High School Alum and pro-musician Sam C. Jones, this band of world-class performers will have you dancing in your Blue Suede Shoes all night long with songs made famous by Bo Ridley, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley and more. Relive their most popular hits, along with some forgotten gems. “Rockabilly Rumble” is a dance-worthy, foot stomping evening you’ll never forget!
This show is 21+ only.
YOU MUST HAVE A VALID PHYSICAL ID. A PICTURE OF YOUR ID IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Unwrap the magic of Black Friday and Small Business Saturday all weekend at Current Boutique! Dive into luxury with exclusive deals on pre-loved designer treasures, celebrating sustainable fashion with every purchase. Whether in-store or online, indulge in guilt-free glamour and support local businesses. ✨🛍️👗
💥 Sale: 25% off everything & 50% off tall boots
📅 Date: Friday November 24 – Sunday November 26