Good Friday morning, Alexandria!
☀️ Today’s weather: The forecast predicts a sunny day with a high temperature near 70 degrees, accompanied by a gentle northeast wind at 5 to 7 mph. As nighttime approaches, expect an increase in cloudiness and a low temperature around 51 degrees, with a light east wind.
🚨 You need to know
Wishing a very happy Friday to one particular Alexandrian, who hopefully remembers their favorite local news organization now that they’re flush with cash from a $1 million winning Powerball ticket.
The $1 million winning ticket was bought online by a player in Alexandria using the Virginia Lottery app.
Five $50,000 winning tickets were also bought at locations in Midlothian, Williamsburg, Chesapeake and Arlington.
Image via Virginia Lottery/Facebook
📈 Thursday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Oct 12, 2023.
- City staff reflect on one of Alexandria’s most bizarre and troubled transportation projects (3580 views)
- Alexandria Mayor says city spent $1.8 million on stream restoration projects with nothing to show for it (3365 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- City Creatives: Putting the pieces together
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 9:56 pm)
- City Creatives: A Mountain of music
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 9:51 pm)
- City Creatives: Local brothers debut first feature film
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 9:47 pm)
- Filling in the Blanks with Melanie Kay-Wyatt, Ed.D.: Special education calls for community
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 9:40 pm)
- Faulty ‘Remember the Titans Football Night’
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 9:38 pm)
- Half a world away
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 9:36 pm)
- The burden of service
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 9:33 pm)
- A city of creatives
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 9:29 pm)
- City Creatives: Hanoi Ragmen’s rise to fame
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 9:23 pm)
- You Don’t Want to Miss Crab Shack Live’s Fall Backyard Concert Featuring Isaac “Deacon Izzy” Bell and10-Piece Band, Saturday, October 21
Zebra (Thursday @ 8:12 pm)
- Tanner: A Zest and Vibrance for Life
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 6:58 pm)
- City to Host West End Planning Process Open Houses
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 6:51 pm)
- City of Alexandria Proposes New Street Names
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 6:15 pm)
- A fall favorite: Pumpkin bread for the family
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 5:02 pm)
- Leaf Collection in Alexandria Begins Oct. 30
Zebra (Thursday @ 4:12 pm)
- Confederate Street Names Proposed For Renaming In Alexandria
Patch (Thursday @ 4:00 pm)
- Alexandria Archaeology Commission Names Winners of Brenman Archaeology Award
Zebra (Thursday @ 2:39 pm)
- High Interest Rates Slow Down Alexandria Real Estate Market
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 1:49 pm)
- Book Vending Machine Donated By PTA Introduced To Alexandria Students
Patch (Thursday @ 12:45 pm)
- Alexandria Lawyer Frees Innocent Man from Death Row
Zebra (Thursday @ 12:01 pm)
- One $1M Powerball Winner In VA As CA Player Grabs $1.76B Jackpot
Patch (Thursday @ 10:35 am)
- City Council rethinks panhandling regulations
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:57 am)
- Alexandria Man Killed In Prince George’s County Shooting
Patch (Thursday @ 8:54 am)
- School Board discusses restructuring options
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:50 am)
- Port City Brewing Co. Releases Long Black Veil
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 8:15 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today and this weekend in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
It’s been a busy week in Alexandria. Just days after Alexandria’s City Council voted unanimously to ditch single-family-only zoning, Mayor Justin Wilson announced that he would not be running for…
The days of digging through archives by address to find a historical report on a building in Alexandria could, themselves, be a thing of the past. Anyone can now easily…
Friends of Guest House needs pajamas and cozy socks for their female residents who are transitioning back to the community from prison. Realtor Maureen Clyne started the annual effort four years ago…
A 4 BD/2.5 BA home with a gas fireplace, patio and a large landscaped yard is included in Just Listed.
Get ready to Shake, Rattle and Roll with this one-of-a-kind, high-octane rockabilly concert experience! Rockabilly Rumble is the all-new, musical experience celebrating the southern rock music that exploded on the scene in the 1950s. Organized by Alexandria City High School Alum and pro-musician Sam C. Jones, this band of world-class performers will have you dancing in your Blue Suede Shoes all night long with songs made famous by Bo Ridley, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley and more. Relive their most popular hits, along with some forgotten gems. “Rockabilly Rumble” is a dance-worthy, foot stomping evening you’ll never forget!
This show is 21+ only.
YOU MUST HAVE A VALID PHYSICAL ID. A PICTURE OF YOUR ID IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Unwrap the magic of Black Friday and Small Business Saturday all weekend at Current Boutique! Dive into luxury with exclusive deals on pre-loved designer treasures, celebrating sustainable fashion with every purchase. Whether in-store or online, indulge in guilt-free glamour and support local businesses. ✨🛍️👗
💥 Sale: 25% off everything & 50% off tall boots
📅 Date: Friday November 24 – Sunday November 26