(Updated 4:50 p.m.) It’s been a busy week in Alexandria, with police arresting a suspect in an attempted abduction and on the hunt for a driver after a hit-and-run.
The driver of a yellow Penske truck struck a 15-year-old boy in the Braddock neighborhood earlier this week and nearly ran over several other children at the nearby George Washington Middle School. Javone Scott, the juvenile struck by the truck, spoke to ABC7 yesterday and said he was running away when the truck hit him from behind.
The truck was later found abandoned on the Eisenhower Connector shortly after, but no suspect has been found.
Police also made an arrest in an attempted abduction case. On Sept. 1, a 30-year-old woman flagged down an Alexandria Police Department officer and said she was the victim of an attempted abduction and assault, according to the police scanner. Xavier Cooper, 34, was arrested on Sept. 29 and charged with abduction with intent to defile.
The most-read stories this week were:
- JUST IN: Police make arrest in alleged attempted abduction in Old Town (8880 views)
- NEW: HRP proposes designs inspired by iconic New York building for former power plant in Old Town North (4882 views)
- Alexandria moves up in Best Small City rankings (4351 views)
- City Council to consider removing panhandling restrictions in Alexandria (4063 views)
- Foxfire Grill near Alexandria is permanently closing on Halloween (3562 views)
- POLICE: Juvenile pedestrian struck and hospitalized in Braddock hit-and-run (3448 views)
- Notes: Experts divided over chances of snow this winter in Alexandria (3253 views)
- ‘Banned Book’ reading event planned in Old Town this Wednesday (2669 views)
- Alexandria staff break down behind-the-scenes limits of massive zoning overhaul (2344 views)
- Notes: Police say witnesses helped detain driver after car chase in Old Town (1620 views)
It’s been a busy week in Alexandria. Just days after Alexandria’s City Council voted unanimously to ditch single-family-only zoning, Mayor Justin Wilson announced that he would not be running for…
The days of digging through archives by address to find a historical report on a building in Alexandria could, themselves, be a thing of the past. Anyone can now easily…
Friends of Guest House needs pajamas and cozy socks for their female residents who are transitioning back to the community from prison. Realtor Maureen Clyne started the annual effort four years ago…
A 4 BD/2.5 BA home with a gas fireplace, patio and a large landscaped yard is included in Just Listed.
Get ready to Shake, Rattle and Roll with this one-of-a-kind, high-octane rockabilly concert experience! Rockabilly Rumble is the all-new, musical experience celebrating the southern rock music that exploded on the scene in the 1950s. Organized by Alexandria City High School Alum and pro-musician Sam C. Jones, this band of world-class performers will have you dancing in your Blue Suede Shoes all night long with songs made famous by Bo Ridley, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley and more. Relive their most popular hits, along with some forgotten gems. “Rockabilly Rumble” is a dance-worthy, foot stomping evening you’ll never forget!
This show is 21+ only.
YOU MUST HAVE A VALID PHYSICAL ID. A PICTURE OF YOUR ID IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Unwrap the magic of Black Friday and Small Business Saturday all weekend at Current Boutique! Dive into luxury with exclusive deals on pre-loved designer treasures, celebrating sustainable fashion with every purchase. Whether in-store or online, indulge in guilt-free glamour and support local businesses. ✨🛍️👗
💥 Sale: 25% off everything & 50% off tall boots
📅 Date: Friday November 24 – Sunday November 26