Good Friday morning, Alexandria!
☀️ Today’s weather: Mostly sunny, with a high near 74. East wind 5 to 9 mph. At night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 53. East wind 3 to 7 mph.
🚨 You need to know
The Alexandria Police Department (APD) arrested two people in connection with yesterday’s Arlandria Autozone (3705 Mount Vernon Avenue) robbery.
Two people, 19-year-old Fredricksburg resident Michael Lazo and 32-year-old Alexandria resident Deshuan Stoney were charged with robbery. The latter was also charged with use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.
The press release is below:
On Thursday, May 25, 2023, Alexandria Police Officers responded to a call reporting a commercial robbery in the 3700 block of Mount Vernon Avenue.
The two suspects were identified and arrested later in the day. Mr. Michael Lazo, a 19-year-old resident of Fredericksburg, Va., was arrested and charged with robbery. Mr. Deshaun Stoney, a 32-year-old City of Alexandria resident, was arrested and charged with robbery and the use of a firearm in the commission of a felony. The firearm suspected of being used in the offense was also seized.
No injuries were sustained in connection with this incident.
The Alexandria Police Department urges anyone who possesses information related to this incident to come forward and assist in the ongoing investigation by reaching out to Detective John Brattelli via phone at (703) 746-6699 or through email at j[email protected] Alternatively, individuals may contact our non-emergency number at (703) 746-4444.
📈 Thursday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for May 25, 2023.
- Potomac River could rise by two feet on Alexandria waterfront by 2050 (2281 views)
- Police responding to robbery at AutoZone in Arlandria | ALXnow (2071 views)
- No arrest after shots fired and blood trail leads into West End hotel (1138 views)
- Alexandria kicking off Pride Month with drag queen storytelling (432 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- 79 Years: Alexandria Honors D-Day Anniversary June 4
Zebra (Thursday @ 5:41 pm)
- Charming Victorian In Old Town Alexandria Has Domed Skylight
Patch (Thursday @ 4:24 pm)
- Poor Robert’s Ruminations with Rob Whittle: Mad Men
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 1:18 pm)
- Worst Times To Travel In NoVA For Memorial Day Weekend 2023
Patch (Thursday @ 1:12 pm)
- Your View: City’s vision of zero cars
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 1:05 pm)
- Your View: Remebering Alexandria’s Hodding Carter
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 1:01 pm)
- Your View: Where’s the soil test?
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 12:59 pm)
- Our View: An unexpected light
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 12:55 pm)
- Real Talk: Renovate for returns: Home improvements to consider to increase home value
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 12:49 pm)
- Through their eyes: A look back at the segregated Johnson Memorial Pool
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 12:27 pm)
- Tom Hodges named sportsman of the Year
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 12:20 pm)
- Drug Take Back Day disposal details
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 12:16 pm)
- Community Valor award announced
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 12:11 pm)
- EJI awards $5k to ACHS students ALEXANDRIA TIMES
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 12:06 pm)
- Office of the Arts announced art map
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 12:02 pm)
- Cultivating kindness in Alexandria
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 11:56 am)
- Arrest made in stolen auto incident
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 11:53 am)
- Win Free Wendy’s for a Year in Alexandria on June 3
Zebra (Thursday @ 11:10 am)
- Life’s a kick on the pitch: ASA Reds launch second season in the semi-pro National Premier Soccer League
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 10:58 am)
- Council hears plan for flood mitigation: Street renaming also considered during legislative meeting
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 10:49 am)
- New Restaurant To Open In Former Columbia Firehouse Location
Patch (Thursday @ 10:16 am)
- Replacement Restaurant For Stomping Ground Opens In Del Ray
Patch (Thursday @ 9:34 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today and this weekend in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- 12:00 pm Saturday: The Patio Concert
A 27-year-old Maryland man has been charged with robbing two separate Alexandria banks in March and April. Jaquan Royal, of Prince George’s County, was arrested on May 24 in connection…
It’s been another busy week in Alexandria as the city heads into Memorial Day weekend. For those driving this weekend, be aware that some of the major roads are likely…
Virginia’s junior U.S. Sen. Tim Kaine was in Alexandria today to discuss early childhood education and said that the current debt ceiling fight in Washington should be wrapped up by…
It might take some time, but Alexandria City Public Schools has opened the door to collective bargaining with its employees. On Thursday, the School Board conducted its first work session…
Are you seeking a confidential space where you can explore your emotions, overcome challenges, and find inner peace? Look no further than our dedicated psychotherapy service! We understand that life can be overwhelming at times, and we’re here to support you every step of the way.
At Peaceful Mind Solutions, our passion lies in helping individuals like you navigate life’s complexities and find the strength to thrive. Our skilled and compassionate therapist is committed to creating a warm, non-judgmental environment where you can express your thoughts and feelings openly. With our personalized approach, we tailor each session to address your unique needs and empower you to overcome obstacles.
Through evidence-based techniques and a deep understanding of the human mind, our therapist will guide you on a transformative journey of self-discovery. Whether you’re dealing with anxiety, depression, relationship issues, or simply seeking personal growth, we’re here to provide guidance and practical tools for lasting change.
Time flies when you’re having fun! The T.C. Williams High School Class of 1973 will hold its 50th reunion July 21-23, 2023 in Alexandria. All graduates and their adult nears and dears are welcome. Events include a Friday evening icebreaker, Saturday dinner dance, and a Sunday brunch. For more information: tcwilliams73.com, 770.789.3534.
Spring Fling at Rising Sol Yoga School
Join us for a day of FREE hot yoga. Experience our class styles and meet our teachers. Buy a bite at the Bake Sale to benefit The Carpenter’s Shelter, peruse some special vendors, take advantage of in-person only discounts on