Good Tuesday morning, Alexandria!
⛅ Today’s weather: Showers after 5 p.m. Cloudy, with a high near 79.
🌤 Tomorrow: Sunny, with a high near 72.
🚨 You need to know
Alexandria Living Magazine reported that it’s all quiet on the real estate front.
Compared to last April, real estate sales have seen a 33.6% decrease across the region, according to data from the Northern Virginia Association of Realtors — though the April figures are still a slight increase (3.6%) over figures from March.
The market statistics show that the average home sale price has stayed consistent, with a median sale price of $690,000 (only a .7% increase over last year). The median sold price in Alexandria was $622,500, according to Alexandria Living Magazine.
📈 Monday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for May 15, 2023.
- Notes: Police investigating dead body found at Landmark storage facility (934 views)
- Alexandria City Council unanimously endorses energy plan for former power plant in Old Town North (471 views)
- City Council approves modifications to Old Town home with strange architectural history (463 views)
- Poll: Should Alexandria do more to preserve historic buildings? | ALXnow (174 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Luxury Brand Frances Valentine to Open in Alexandria
Alexandria Living (Monday @ 4:14 pm)
- Adopt Cupcake, She’s As Sweet As Her Name
Zebra (Monday @ 3:49 pm)
- Taste Of Del Ray, Fireworks: Alexandria Summer 2023 Events
Patch (Monday @ 3:38 pm)
- Enjoy the Mount Vernon Spring Wine Festival May 19 to 21, Offering Unlimited Samples From VA Wineries
Zebra (Monday @ 2:25 pm)
- Alexandria Women for Good Donates $9,700 to Carpenter’s Shelter
Zebra (Monday @ 12:10 pm)
- Here’s Why Flags Are at Half-Staff in Virginia Today
Zebra (Monday @ 11:17 am)
- Embezzlement From Old Town Alexandria Restaurant Leads To Indictment
Patch (Monday @ 10:25 am)
🐦 Tweets of note
new achievement unlocked: longer to get into achs than to get though tsa pic.twitter.com/Af5pADXvbd
— ilona (@5qu1rtl3) May 15, 2023
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- No events today. Have one to promote? Submit it to the calendar.
By the time this story is published, candidates will have just an hour-and-a-half to file the necessary paperwork to run in the Jan. 9 special election to fill the vacant seat on the Alexandria School Board.
(Updated 3:20 p.m.) Alexandria has nabbed a top spot on another holiday-focused tour list, this time on holiday gift website Mixbook. The website’s list “America’s Favorite ‘Christmassy’ Towns 2023” ranked…
The Alexandria Police Department says that an arrest was made after a man was injured in an attempted robbery in the Landmark area of Alexandria’s West End last week. APD…
Eat Fish, Be Healthy — even at home! Opening their storefront in November 2020, owners Michael and Katy set out to supply top quality fresh and frozen seafood to Alexandria…
About Latinas Leading Tomorrow (LLT): Latinas Leading Tomorrow is a dynamic 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering young Latina women through education, mentorship, and leadership development. We are committed to fostering a community of future leaders who will make a significant impact to the community.
Job Description: We are seeking a passionate and dedicated Part-time Executive Director to lead our organization into its next phase of growth and impact. The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader who can oversee day-to-day operations, drive fundraising efforts, and cultivate relationships with stakeholders. This is a 1099 position; Remote position with ability to attend DMV events; 8-10 hours a week; $35-40/per hour.
Get ready to Shake, Rattle and Roll with this one-of-a-kind, high-octane rockabilly concert experience! Rockabilly Rumble is the all-new, musical experience celebrating the southern rock music that exploded on the scene in the 1950s. Organized by Alexandria City High School Alum and pro-musician Sam C. Jones, this band of world-class performers will have you dancing in your Blue Suede Shoes all night long with songs made famous by Bo Ridley, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley and more. Relive their most popular hits, along with some forgotten gems. “Rockabilly Rumble” is a dance-worthy, foot stomping evening you’ll never forget!
This show is 21+ only.
YOU MUST HAVE A VALID PHYSICAL ID. A PICTURE OF YOUR ID IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.