Good Friday morning, Alexandria!
☔ Today’s weather: Isolated showers after 3 p.m. Mostly sunny with a high of 86.
☔ Tomorrow: Rain showers. Overcast. Mild. High of 71 and low of 65. Sunrise at 5:57 am and sunset at 8:11 pm.
🚨 You need to know
Two police officers shot and killed a man the department alleges had attacked another officer and was trying to take his gun in the Penn Daw area (6239 Richmond Highway) just south of Alexandria.
Fairfax County Police Chief Kevin Davis said the incident started when an officer got a license plate alert for a U-Haul truck that was reported stolen in Richmond. The officer pulled into a Citgo gas station next to the McDonalds when he saw the truck and driver.
Davis said the driver shoved the police officer into the open front door of the police car and started to attack him. Over scanner traffic, the officer can be heard saying “He’s got my gun.”
Two officers responded to the dispatch and opened fire on the man, killing him.
This is the second fatal shooting by Fairfax County police this year, after D.C. resident Timothy Johnson was killed outside Tysons Corner Center on Feb. 22.
Image via FCPD/Facebook
📈 Thursday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for May 11, 2023.
- Man allegedly robbed at gunpoint in Arlandria by woman he met on Instagram (1614 views)
- JUST IN: Alexandria City High School Principal Peter Balas announces move to Arlington (1549 views)
- Alexandria man sentenced in fatal fentanyl trafficking conspiracy (1038 views)
- Most and least expensive townhouses sold in Alexandria (Apr-May 2023) | ALXnow (379 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Public Tours of former Potomac River Generating Site Set
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 8:41 pm)
- Festivals, Pub Crawls, Arts on Tap This Summer in Alexandria
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 8:29 pm)
- Home Sales ‘Remain Muted’ in Alexandria
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 5:30 pm)
- Bike To Work Day Set for May 19
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 5:08 pm)
- Del Ray Vs. Old Town: Neighborhood Rivalry Reignited In Softball Game
Patch (Thursday @ 4:55 pm)
- Man Shot Dead By Cop After Attack On 2nd Officer: Fairfax Police Chief
Patch (Thursday @ 4:37 pm)
- Exciting Events Planned for Alexandria This Summer!
Zebra (Thursday @ 4:15 pm)
- 1820 Updated Rowhouse Lists For $2.2M In Old Town Alexandria
Patch (Thursday @ 4:00 pm)
- FREE ADMISSION: Check Out the First West Potomac Marketplace Saturday, May 13
Zebra (Thursday @ 3:21 pm)
- School Board seeks staggered elections
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 2:14 pm)
- Bike To Work Day 2023 Includes City Of Alexandria Stops
Patch (Thursday @ 12:53 pm)
- ‘I Was Very Lucky: ‘Susan Oelze Talks About Her Late Husband, Former Birchmere Owner Gary on the Next ‘Living On Music’
Zebra (Thursday @ 12:52 pm)
- Pre-offer inspections: A small investment for a big win!
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 11:04 am)
- Fatal Fentanyl Overdose Leads To Sentence For Alexandria Drug Dealer
Patch (Thursday @ 9:56 am)
- Student overdoses prompt action: Fentanyl surge expedites education collaboration, expanded Narcan distribution
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:58 am)
- Filling in the Blanks with Melanie Kay-Wyatt, Ed.D.: Don’t Suffer in silence
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:39 am)
- Your View: Community, not congestion
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:33 am)
- Your View: Goodbye American Dream
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:30 am)
- Our View: New superintendent, old problems
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:18 am)
- Reduce, reuse, redecorate: Shop pre-owned for furniture and help the environment, too
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:13 am)
- ‘Sister Act’ soars: The ACHS production is captivating and hilarious
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:08 am)
- Alexandria Times staff win 11 VPA awards
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:01 am)
- Drumgold indictment issued
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:55 am)
- Felony assault results in arrest
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:51 am)
- Part of Del Ray makes Preservation Virginia’s Most Endangered list
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:49 am)
- Kay-Wyatt named superintendent
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:45 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today and this weekend in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- 👉 9:00 am Friday: Public Site Tours of Potomac River Generating Station Redevelopment Site
- 7:30 pm Friday: US Navy Band – Young Artist Concerto Competition Concert
- 10:00 am Saturday: Lost Buildings in Alexandria
- 10:00 am Saturday: West Potomac Marketplace
In some ways, it wasn’t a great week for shops around Alexandria. Three Alexandria stores had drivers crash into them this week. At the Bradlee Shopping Center, a driver was…
Westbound drivers may want to avoid Duke Street near Landmark next week as construction will shut down part of the road. The closures will affect the westbound lanes on Duke…
Parents and teachers at a School Board meeting last night said the rollout of a new plan to split specialist teachers across schools has been an unmitigated disaster. The change…
Just Listed features a 3 BD/2 BA home with a wooden pergola, slate patio and fenced in backyard.
Are you seeking a confidential space where you can explore your emotions, overcome challenges, and find inner peace? Look no further than our dedicated psychotherapy service! We understand that life can be overwhelming at times, and we’re here to support you every step of the way.
At Peaceful Mind Solutions, our passion lies in helping individuals like you navigate life’s complexities and find the strength to thrive. Our skilled and compassionate therapist is committed to creating a warm, non-judgmental environment where you can express your thoughts and feelings openly. With our personalized approach, we tailor each session to address your unique needs and empower you to overcome obstacles.
Through evidence-based techniques and a deep understanding of the human mind, our therapist will guide you on a transformative journey of self-discovery. Whether you’re dealing with anxiety, depression, relationship issues, or simply seeking personal growth, we’re here to provide guidance and practical tools for lasting change.
Time flies when you’re having fun! The T.C. Williams High School Class of 1973 will hold its 50th reunion July 21-23, 2023 in Alexandria. All graduates and their adult nears and dears are welcome. Events include a Friday evening icebreaker, Saturday dinner dance, and a Sunday brunch. For more information: tcwilliams73.com, 770.789.3534.
Spring Fling at Rising Sol Yoga School
Join us for a day of FREE hot yoga. Experience our class styles and meet our teachers. Buy a bite at the Bake Sale to benefit The Carpenter’s Shelter, peruse some special vendors, take advantage of in-person only discounts on