Good Friday morning, Alexandria!
☔ Today’s weather: Isolated showers after 3 p.m. Mostly sunny with a high of 86.
☔ Tomorrow: Rain showers. Overcast. Mild. High of 71 and low of 65. Sunrise at 5:57 am and sunset at 8:11 pm.
🚨 You need to know
Two police officers shot and killed a man the department alleges had attacked another officer and was trying to take his gun in the Penn Daw area (6239 Richmond Highway) just south of Alexandria.
Fairfax County Police Chief Kevin Davis said the incident started when an officer got a license plate alert for a U-Haul truck that was reported stolen in Richmond. The officer pulled into a Citgo gas station next to the McDonalds when he saw the truck and driver.
Davis said the driver shoved the police officer into the open front door of the police car and started to attack him. Over scanner traffic, the officer can be heard saying “He’s got my gun.”
Two officers responded to the dispatch and opened fire on the man, killing him.
This is the second fatal shooting by Fairfax County police this year, after D.C. resident Timothy Johnson was killed outside Tysons Corner Center on Feb. 22.
Image via FCPD/Facebook
📈 Thursday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for May 11, 2023.
- Man allegedly robbed at gunpoint in Arlandria by woman he met on Instagram (1614 views)
- JUST IN: Alexandria City High School Principal Peter Balas announces move to Arlington (1549 views)
- Alexandria man sentenced in fatal fentanyl trafficking conspiracy (1038 views)
- Most and least expensive townhouses sold in Alexandria (Apr-May 2023) | ALXnow (379 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Public Tours of former Potomac River Generating Site Set
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 8:41 pm)
- Festivals, Pub Crawls, Arts on Tap This Summer in Alexandria
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 8:29 pm)
- Home Sales ‘Remain Muted’ in Alexandria
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 5:30 pm)
- Bike To Work Day Set for May 19
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 5:08 pm)
- Del Ray Vs. Old Town: Neighborhood Rivalry Reignited In Softball Game
Patch (Thursday @ 4:55 pm)
- Man Shot Dead By Cop After Attack On 2nd Officer: Fairfax Police Chief
Patch (Thursday @ 4:37 pm)
- Exciting Events Planned for Alexandria This Summer!
Zebra (Thursday @ 4:15 pm)
- 1820 Updated Rowhouse Lists For $2.2M In Old Town Alexandria
Patch (Thursday @ 4:00 pm)
- FREE ADMISSION: Check Out the First West Potomac Marketplace Saturday, May 13
Zebra (Thursday @ 3:21 pm)
- School Board seeks staggered elections
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 2:14 pm)
- Bike To Work Day 2023 Includes City Of Alexandria Stops
Patch (Thursday @ 12:53 pm)
- ‘I Was Very Lucky: ‘Susan Oelze Talks About Her Late Husband, Former Birchmere Owner Gary on the Next ‘Living On Music’
Zebra (Thursday @ 12:52 pm)
- Pre-offer inspections: A small investment for a big win!
Alexandria Living (Thursday @ 11:04 am)
- Fatal Fentanyl Overdose Leads To Sentence For Alexandria Drug Dealer
Patch (Thursday @ 9:56 am)
- Student overdoses prompt action: Fentanyl surge expedites education collaboration, expanded Narcan distribution
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:58 am)
- Filling in the Blanks with Melanie Kay-Wyatt, Ed.D.: Don’t Suffer in silence
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:39 am)
- Your View: Community, not congestion
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:33 am)
- Your View: Goodbye American Dream
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:30 am)
- Our View: New superintendent, old problems
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:18 am)
- Reduce, reuse, redecorate: Shop pre-owned for furniture and help the environment, too
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:13 am)
- ‘Sister Act’ soars: The ACHS production is captivating and hilarious
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:08 am)
- Alexandria Times staff win 11 VPA awards
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 8:01 am)
- Drumgold indictment issued
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:55 am)
- Felony assault results in arrest
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:51 am)
- Part of Del Ray makes Preservation Virginia’s Most Endangered list
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:49 am)
- Kay-Wyatt named superintendent
Alexandria Times (Thursday @ 7:45 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today and this weekend in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- 👉 9:00 am Friday: Public Site Tours of Potomac River Generating Station Redevelopment Site
- 7:30 pm Friday: US Navy Band – Young Artist Concerto Competition Concert
- 10:00 am Saturday: Lost Buildings in Alexandria
- 10:00 am Saturday: West Potomac Marketplace
It’s been a busy week in Alexandria. Just days after Alexandria’s City Council voted unanimously to ditch single-family-only zoning, Mayor Justin Wilson announced that he would not be running for…
The days of digging through archives by address to find a historical report on a building in Alexandria could, themselves, be a thing of the past. Anyone can now easily…
Friends of Guest House needs pajamas and cozy socks for their female residents who are transitioning back to the community from prison. Realtor Maureen Clyne started the annual effort four years ago…
A 4 BD/2.5 BA home with a gas fireplace, patio and a large landscaped yard is included in Just Listed.
Get ready to Shake, Rattle and Roll with this one-of-a-kind, high-octane rockabilly concert experience! Rockabilly Rumble is the all-new, musical experience celebrating the southern rock music that exploded on the scene in the 1950s. Organized by Alexandria City High School Alum and pro-musician Sam C. Jones, this band of world-class performers will have you dancing in your Blue Suede Shoes all night long with songs made famous by Bo Ridley, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley and more. Relive their most popular hits, along with some forgotten gems. “Rockabilly Rumble” is a dance-worthy, foot stomping evening you’ll never forget!
This show is 21+ only.
YOU MUST HAVE A VALID PHYSICAL ID. A PICTURE OF YOUR ID IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Unwrap the magic of Black Friday and Small Business Saturday all weekend at Current Boutique! Dive into luxury with exclusive deals on pre-loved designer treasures, celebrating sustainable fashion with every purchase. Whether in-store or online, indulge in guilt-free glamour and support local businesses. ✨🛍️👗
💥 Sale: 25% off everything & 50% off tall boots
📅 Date: Friday November 24 – Sunday November 26