Good Thursday morning, Alexandria!
🌤 Today’s weather: Clear throughout the day. High of 59 and low of 47.
☔ Tomorrow: Possible light rain starting in the afternoon. High of 60 and low of 46. Sunrise at 7:18 am and sunset at 7:17 pm.
🚨 You need to know
Take it slow near Alexandria City High School (ACHS): there’s a new school zone speed limit in effect.
Along King Street between Radford and Quincy Streets, the speed limit will drop to 15 miles per hour from 30 minutes before and after the ACHS arrival and dismissal times, Alexandria City Public Schools (ACPS) said in a release.
“Most public schools in Alexandria have a school zone speed limit of 15 mph that is in effect during school arrival and dismissal, though ACHS did not have one,” Alexandria’s Complete Streets Program Manager Alex Carroll said in the release. “Establishing a school zone speed limit affords ACHS students the same safety benefits other students receive from having a school zone speed limit.”
The fine for violating an active school zone speed limit is up to $250. While other school zones recently had speed cameras installed, the Department of Transportation and Environmental Services said the speed camera program isn’t live yet and ACPS said there are no plans to add speed cameras to King Street.
Image via Google Maps
📈 Wednesday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Mar 15, 2023.
- BREAKING: Alexandria firefighter injured while responding to fire in Old Town home (1404 views)
- Notes: Internet provider Ting breaks Comcast monopoly on some Alexandria neighborhoods (1305 views)
- City Council says practical considerations of renaming Confederate-honoring streets needs to be addressed (361 views)
- BREAKING: Alexandria firefighter injured while responding to fire in Old Town home (142 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Q&A: Jackie Barnes with 1799 Prime Steak & Seafood
Alexandria Living (Wednesday @ 10:50 pm)
- Two-alarm house fire in Old Town
Alexandria Times (Wednesday @ 7:26 pm)
- Bollywood Masala Indian Restaurant to Open on King Street
Alexandria Living (Wednesday @ 6:16 pm)
- Old Alexandria Warehouse to Become Unique Restaurant
Alexandria Living (Wednesday @ 5:53 pm)
- New Concept, Name Planned for Alexandria’s Historic Waterfront Warehouse
Zebra (Wednesday @ 4:48 pm)
- Alexandria’s Chinquapin Wahoos Recruiting Swimmers for Summer 2023
Zebra (Wednesday @ 3:49 pm)
- Lengendary Metal Band Metallica Buys Controlling Stake in Alexandria-Based Vinyl Pressing Plant
Zebra (Wednesday @ 2:08 pm)
- Residential Fire Draws Fire Department Response In Old Town Alexandria
Patch (Wednesday @ 1:46 pm)
- Higher Real Estate Tax Rate Not Ruled Out By Alexandria City Council
Patch (Wednesday @ 1:14 pm)
- Feature Fim Debut of Virginia Native Mike Taylor Screening March 20
Zebra (Wednesday @ 10:48 am)
- Next Waterfront Park Art Installation Opening In Late March 2023
Patch (Wednesday @ 9:47 am)
- GoFundMe Started: Beloved Alexandria Bartender Shot in Attempted Carjacking
Zebra (Wednesday @ 7:32 am)
🐦 Tweets of note
— Alan Henney (@alanhenney) March 15, 2023
“I would like to give a big thank you to my staff…and all ACPS school nutrition staff for working hard in the pandemic,” says @PHSchoolACPS cafeteria manager Mirna Zalles, who was also recently named a No Kid Hungry school lunch hero. #ACPSWomensHistory #ThxACPSEssentialWorkers pic.twitter.com/fDLlOZPYrv
— Alexandria City Public Schools (@ACPSk12) March 15, 2023
Going through some old files in the office today. I love this photo from 1972 of a water quality health advisory sign in #AlexandriaVA. The Clean Water Act wasn't adopted until the following year. pic.twitter.com/maUY4IPpn3
— Becky Hammer (@beckyhammer) March 14, 2023
A new school zone speed limit will be implemented near @AlexCityTitans on King Street between Radford and Quincy Streets. The 15 mph limit will be in effect 30 minutes before and after ACHS arrival and dismissal times. Learn more: https://t.co/rmh4zopTsj
— Dr. Melanie Kay-Wyatt (@ACPSk12Supt) March 15, 2023
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- No events today. Have one to promote? Submit it to the calendar.
A look at the most and least expensive townhouses sold in Alexandria last month, August 2023.
Alexandria City Public Schools saw a 26% increase in student arrests last school year, and a disproportionate number of arrested students are Black males. There were 58 ACPS students arrested…
This weekend allows you to tour historic homes in Old Town (81st Annual Historic Alexandria Homes Tour), celebrate German style beers at Port City Brewing Company (Wunderfest), and much more….
Elevate your idea of elegance to new heights as you dive into luxury living like never before at Towngate North! With the recent completion of the final condominium building in…
Sometimes mold is easy to spot, but you don’t know how deep inside your walls it has spread. It can grow in sinks, cabinets, and other places you frequent every day. If you find mold, the question remains: Do I call a professional? Thistle Environmental, LLC believes in quality, comprehensive testing.
CALL NOW: (703) 929-4036
WOW 1 DAY PAINTING brings people a fast, affordable, and high-quality solution for all of their interior or exterior residential and commercial painting projects. We respect your time as much as you do and provide the quality paint job you expect, in a timeline that is unexpected.
Schedule a consult today:
The Made in ALX Fall Makers’ Market at Port City Brewing Co. in Alexandria is set for Sunday, Sept. 24!
This is the fall’s most fun sip-and-shop, featuring craft beer from the award-winning Port City Brewing Co. along with food,