Good Thursday morning, Alexandria!
☔ Today’s weather: Partly cloudy throughout the day. High of 49 and low of 31.
🌤 Tomorrow: Clear throughout the day. High of 43 and low of 31. Sunrise at 7:20 am and sunset at 5:24 pm.
🚨 You need to know
The meeting comes in the wake of two shootings and an armed robbery around Princess and West streets.
Police Chief Don Hayes told neighbors the city has stepped up police presence since the first week of the year and a video camera is being set up in the area.
Alexandria Mayor Wilson and Police Chief Hayes hear concerns of Old Town neighbors over gun shots heard twice and an armed robbery in the past 3 weeks in the area of Princess and West Streets @wtop pic.twitter.com/vqJvTGymbo
— Dick Uliano (@DickUliano) January 25, 2023
Notification:: There is a moderate police presence at the intersection of N. West and Princess Street. This is in reference to a shots fired call for service. No injuries were reported in connection to this incident. APD is on scene and investigating. pic.twitter.com/JeZ8m6ifIM
— Alexandria Police (@AlexandriaVAPD) January 20, 2023
Elsewhere in the city, a shots fired call at the 5400 block of Richenbacher Avenue sent schools into “secure the building” mode on Tuesday. That means normal school operations continue inside the building but no one can enter or leave.
“Today, four Alexandria City Public Schools (ACPS) were placed in ‘secure the building’ status for a brief period in response to nearby police activity (unrelated to school operations),” ACPS said in a release to parents. “These schools are James K. Polk Elementary School, Patrick Henry PreK-8 School, Douglas MacArthur Elementary School and Francis C. Hammond Middle School.”
📈 Wednesday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Jan 25, 2023.
- Woodbridge man arrested after stabbing incident in West End (796 views)
- Crumbl Cookies plans to open in Bradlee Shopping Center this summer (678 views)
- Notes: Neighboring Arlington embroiled in single-family zoning fight Alexandria has avoided… so far (526 views)
- City Council commits to support collective bargaining with fire department union (79 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- The Chamber ALX’s CareerCon Set for March 13
Alexandria Living (Wednesday @ 11:01 pm)
- Learn About Black History in Alexandria This February, Immersive Events Planned
Zebra (Wednesday @ 8:41 pm)
- Jones Point Park and Woodrow Wilson Bridge Offer Park Goers Scenic Views and Wide-Open Space
Zebra (Wednesday @ 4:07 pm)
- Firefighter Collective Bargaining Agreement Finalized In Alexandria
Patch (Wednesday @ 3:24 pm)
- Charlotte Hall to be Grand Marshal of Alexandria’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade Hosted by the Ballyshaners
Zebra (Wednesday @ 2:34 pm)
- $100,000 Jackpot In VA Lottery Game Claimed By Alexandria Woman
Patch (Wednesday @ 12:58 pm)
- Register Now: Free Plastic-Free Kitchen Workshop and Wine Tasting at Mason & Greens
Zebra (Wednesday @ 12:32 pm)
- Lawsuit Pauses Minority-Owned Business Grant Program In Alexandria
Patch (Wednesday @ 10:31 am)
- Who Won $1 Million Powerball Purchased in Alexandria?
Alexandria Living (Wednesday @ 10:26 am)
🐦 Tweets of note
— Drew Hansen (@Drubaru) January 24, 2023
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
Alexandrians should brace for a stormy weekend. Rain is likely to kick off tonight after 11 p.m. and there’s a good chance it will continue through the weekend as a…
There were no injuries or arrests after gunfire was reported in the West End early Friday morning — a separate incident from the other West End shooting this morning where…
A 2 BD/1.5 BA home with refinished floors, renovated bathroom and fenced backyard is included in Just Listed.
One male victim was seriously injured in an armed robbery just before 9:30 this morning, and as of 10 a.m. the suspects are still at large.
Sometimes mold is easy to spot, but you don’t know how deep inside your walls it has spread. It can grow in sinks, cabinets, and other places you frequent every day. If you find mold, the question remains: Do I call a professional? Thistle Environmental, LLC believes in quality, comprehensive testing.
CALL NOW: (703) 929-4036
WOW 1 DAY PAINTING brings people a fast, affordable, and high-quality solution for all of their interior or exterior residential and commercial painting projects. We respect your time as much as you do and provide the quality paint job you expect, in a timeline that is unexpected.
Schedule a consult today:
The Made in ALX Fall Makers’ Market at Port City Brewing Co. in Alexandria is set for Sunday, Sept. 24!
This is the fall’s most fun sip-and-shop, featuring craft beer from the award-winning Port City Brewing Co. along with food,