Good Tuesday morning, Alexandria!
⛅ Today’s weather: Partly cloudy throughout the day. High of 33 and low of 23.
🌤 Tomorrow: Clear throughout the day. High of 36 and low of 23. Sunrise at 7:27 am and sunset at 4:54 pm.
🚨 You need to know
It’s Tuesday in the middle of the week between holidays. Alexandria is coming out of Christmas weekend and heading into New Year’s Day, which in Alexandria is an even bigger deal than it is in most places.
In Alexandria, the new year is celebrated with First Night — a day full of family-friendly festivities in Old Town running from noon until midnight on Saturday, Dec. 31.
Tickets are $10 for daytime activities and scale up to $75 per ticket for a “VIP Fast Pass” ticket to various venues around town.
The celebration is includes dozens of activities and small concerts around town, from musical performances across the city to line dancing and juggling. The festivities culminate with fireworks over the Potomac River to ring in the new year.
📈 Friday’s most read
The following are the most-read ALXnow articles for Dec 23, 2022.
- JUST IN: More than 1,600 without power around Seminary Hill and Taylor Run (1935 views)
- Fleurir Chocolates closing for good on Christmas Eve in Old Town (657 views)
- Where to take friends and family in Alexandria for the holidays? | ALXnow (520 views)
- Notes: The rain could clear, but the cold is here to stay for the weekend (217 views)
🗞 Other local coverage
- Guns At Airports, Waterskiing Santa, Llama Drama, Cold: Top VA News
Patch (Friday @ 3:04 pm)
- Power Outages Hit Part Of Alexandria As Temperature Drops
Patch (Friday @ 12:34 pm)
- Waterskiing Santa Coming to Alexandria Waterfront, Saturday, December 24
Zebra (Friday @ 12:25 pm)
- Historic 1840 House In Alexandria Has Modern Kitchen, Bathrooms
Patch (Friday @ 11:57 am)
- Federal Spending Bill Includes Funds For Alexandria Projects
Patch (Friday @ 10:32 am)
📅 Upcoming events
Here is what’s going on today in Alexandria, from our event calendar.
- No events today. Have one to promote? Submit it to the calendar.
Douglass Memorial Cemetery (1421 Wilkes Street) has long suffered flooding and neglect, but the City of Alexandria said plans to address issues at the cemetery will be presented at a…
A new development at 1604-1614 King Street, sharing a similar name with a London locale and a mediocre Overwatch map, could see a group of new condos built a stone’s…
After a flurry of activity, the Del Ray Christmas tree is finally at home at Pat Miller Neighborhood Square. The 32-foot-tall Fraser fir was lifted by a crane and installed…
French and Italian tableware and home goods boutique Crème de la Crème will open at 907 King Street in March. The Middleburg-based retailer recently signed a five-year lease with building…
Unwrap the magic of Black Friday and Small Business Saturday all weekend at Current Boutique! Dive into luxury with exclusive deals on pre-loved designer treasures, celebrating sustainable fashion with every purchase. Whether in-store or online, indulge in guilt-free glamour and support local businesses. ✨🛍️👗
💥 Sale: 25% off everything & 50% off tall boots
📅 Date: Friday November 24 – Sunday November 26
The Georgetown Visitation Masqueraders proudly present
Descendants The Musical