The big story this week was a fight at Alexandria City High School that got big enough for the police to get involved.
The school was not placed on lockdown, but three students were arrested after the fight. The incident occurs in the middle of intense scrutiny around violence in Alexandria City Public Schools. A student was murdered a few blocks away earlier this year. Virginia Attorney General Jason Miyares urged the city to work more closely with law enforcement as a result of “the high level of violence and disruption which has taken place in Alexandria City Public Schools recently.”
Mayor Justin Wilson and School Board Chair Meagan Alderton pushed back against that characterization. ACPS also instituted new safety measures at the start of this school year.
- Police called after ‘altercations’ at Alexandria City High School
- JUST IN: Crash with injury shuts down section of Beltway near Woodrow Wilson Bridge
- Woman robbed of wallet near waterfront in Old Town
- Wesley Housing won’t expand affordable housing properties beyond D.C. Metro area
- Vienna-based chocolate and coffee shop coming to Old Town
- PHOTOS: Alexandria’s Scottish Christmas Walk Parade in Old Town
- Planning Commission backs Landmark redevelopment plans
- Years of upheaval ahead as ACPS designs West End office building for elementary school swing space
- Harry Potter tour returning next week to Apothecary Museum in Old Town
- Inova development could honor woman who pioneered Alexandria healthcare
Super convenient location, all new sun filled patio, brand new siding
(Updated 9:55 p.m.) Alexandria’s Planning Commission voted to recommend eliminating outdoor music at Hops N’ Shine (3410 Mount Vernon Avenue) and the restaurant owners faced some withering rebukes from Planning Commissioners. The…
A man was shot in the West End early Sunday morning, and walked into a 7-Eleven on Lincolnia Road for help. The incident occurred at around 1:45 a.m. in the…
If you haven’t noticed, it’s pretty hazy outside. Smoke from wildfires in Canada has been working down the East Coast, spurring many localities to issue air quality alerts. The City…
Are you seeking a confidential space where you can explore your emotions, overcome challenges, and find inner peace? Look no further than our dedicated psychotherapy service! We understand that life can be overwhelming at times, and we’re here to support you every step of the way.
At Peaceful Mind Solutions, our passion lies in helping individuals like you navigate life’s complexities and find the strength to thrive. Our skilled and compassionate therapist is committed to creating a warm, non-judgmental environment where you can express your thoughts and feelings openly. With our personalized approach, we tailor each session to address your unique needs and empower you to overcome obstacles.
Through evidence-based techniques and a deep understanding of the human mind, our therapist will guide you on a transformative journey of self-discovery. Whether you’re dealing with anxiety, depression, relationship issues, or simply seeking personal growth, we’re here to provide guidance and practical tools for lasting change.
Time flies when you’re having fun! The T.C. Williams High School Class of 1973 will hold its 50th reunion July 21-23, 2023 in Alexandria. All graduates and their adult nears and dears are welcome. Events include a Friday evening icebreaker, Saturday dinner dance, and a Sunday brunch. For more information: tcwilliams73.com, 770.789.3534.