The top two stories this week in Alexandria pertained to an incident inside one of the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) buildings.
It was a mental health crisis where police were involved but no one was killed, but it has kept the offices shut down until Saturday and neither the USPTO nor the Alexandria Police Department are sharing more information about what took place, which has only further fueled questioning and rumors from employees at the site.
In lighter news, NOVA Parks reached an agreement with the Winkler Organization to take over Winkler Botanical Preserve, an off-the-beaten-path West End park hidden near the Mark Center development. There’s a sort of Rivendell-vibe to the Preserve, complete with trails and a waterfall, and in a signing ceremony yesterday city leaders said they were excited for the expanded opportunities NOVA Parks will bring to the location.
- Police: Mental health crisis at U.S. Patent and Trademark Office resolved peacefully
- Patent and Trademark Office building closed until Saturday following ‘incident’
- NOVA Parks takes over a hidden gem in the Alexandria’s West End
- Why aren’t Metro shuttles using the Route 1 dedicated bus lanes?
- Commonwealth’s Attorney seeks to limit internet for man acquitted by insanity in brutal Old Town murder
- One injured after shots fired in Arlandria Sunday night
- The Alexandria Fire Department is ‘on fire,’ says union
- King Street Walgreens replacement headed to City Council
- Alexandria man arrested for allegedly brandishing handgun outside West End nightclub
- Tiki Bar Del Ray pop-up closing September 24, reopening as ‘Nightmare On The Avenue’
It’s been a busy week in Alexandria. Just days after Alexandria’s City Council voted unanimously to ditch single-family-only zoning, Mayor Justin Wilson announced that he would not be running for…
The days of digging through archives by address to find a historical report on a building in Alexandria could, themselves, be a thing of the past. Anyone can now easily…
Friends of Guest House needs pajamas and cozy socks for their female residents who are transitioning back to the community from prison. Realtor Maureen Clyne started the annual effort four years ago…
A 4 BD/2.5 BA home with a gas fireplace, patio and a large landscaped yard is included in Just Listed.
Get ready to Shake, Rattle and Roll with this one-of-a-kind, high-octane rockabilly concert experience! Rockabilly Rumble is the all-new, musical experience celebrating the southern rock music that exploded on the scene in the 1950s. Organized by Alexandria City High School Alum and pro-musician Sam C. Jones, this band of world-class performers will have you dancing in your Blue Suede Shoes all night long with songs made famous by Bo Ridley, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley and more. Relive their most popular hits, along with some forgotten gems. “Rockabilly Rumble” is a dance-worthy, foot stomping evening you’ll never forget!
This show is 21+ only.
YOU MUST HAVE A VALID PHYSICAL ID. A PICTURE OF YOUR ID IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Unwrap the magic of Black Friday and Small Business Saturday all weekend at Current Boutique! Dive into luxury with exclusive deals on pre-loved designer treasures, celebrating sustainable fashion with every purchase. Whether in-store or online, indulge in guilt-free glamour and support local businesses. ✨🛍️👗
💥 Sale: 25% off everything & 50% off tall boots
📅 Date: Friday November 24 – Sunday November 26