Alexandria City Public Schools expects its interim superintendent to serve for the entire 2022-2023 school year, according to a new job listing for the position.
“It is anticipated that this opportunity could last for the entirety of SY22-23,” ACPS said on the job listing, which was posted on Thursday (June 30). “The Interim Superintendent will report to and work in partnership with the Alexandria City School Board to carry out the vision and strategic goals of the division to ensure the success of students, employees, and the overall school community while the search for the permanent superintendent is underway.”
ACPS asked for community input on the superintendent selection earlier this week, with the goal of filling the job by July 28.
The interim superintendent’s contract would last “Up to six months or until a permanent superintendent is in place,” ACPS said.
Superintendent Gregory Hutchings, Jr.’s resignation goes into effect at the end of August, and the interim superintendent will be chosen by July 28.
Hutchings was hired in 2017, following a one-year stint by former interim Superintendent Lois Berlin, the former superintendent of Falls Church City Public Schools.
ACPS posted than 70 positions to its career site last month, including principal jobs at George Washington Middle School and Samuel W. Tucker Elementary School, media relations specialists, school security officers, teachers, counselors and bus drivers.
— Alexandria City Public Schools (@ACPSk12) June 30, 2022
The full interim superintendent job description below the jump.
Alexandria City Public Schools has an opening for an Interim Superintendent to lead our uniquely diverse school division of over 15,500 students. It is anticipated that this opportunity could last for the entirety of SY22-23. The Interim Superintendent will report to and work in partnership with the Alexandria City School Board to carry out the vision and strategic goals of the division to ensure the success of students, employees, and the overall school community while the search for the permanent superintendent is underway. The successful candidate will perform complex professional and administrative work directing and providing leadership for all programs, operations, and activities. The School Board expects the Interim Superintendent to carefully maintain the well-established processes and procedures in place while also continuing the effective and efficient implementation of ACPS programs.
A combination of education and experience equivalent to a Doctorate degree in education and five or more years of experience in public school administration; a Division Superintendent Licensure endorsement or eligibility to receive one prior to appointment; knowledge of both central and school-based administrative policies and procedures; comprehensive knowledge of school law and the regulations of the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) that govern school operations; ability to manage fiscal and physical resources, and to direct the operations of a broad range of activities through departmental leaders.
- Successfully carry out the division’s responsibilities and Equity for All 2025 Strategic Plan.
- Ensure that ACPS is in compliance with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Plan, supervise and evaluate the work of all professionals and administrators while fostering a supportive work environment for all division employees.
- Plan agendas, attend School Board meetings, serve as a liaison between the School Board and staff; facilitate communications and represent School Board positions and decisions.
- Fiscally manage the school system through supervising and providing oversight of the annual budget and capital improvement plan to reflect budgetary priorities and maintain the quality of the instructional program.
- Interpret the needs of ACPS and make reports to the Board, providing facts and explanations needed to assist the School Board in its decision-making process.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with the community by developing and operating effective school-community relations, while acting as a public advocate for the school division at all times.
- Exercise fairness, objectivity, and attention to the best interests of the school division in the conduct of all personnel relations and decisions.
- Oversee the instructional program, emphasizing Social Emotional Academic Learning, within the framework of the regulations of the VDOE, and as supported by the goals and policies of the School Board
- Prioritize and support school safety initiatives in collaboration with staff, community stakeholders, and the school board.
Length of Contract:
- Up to six months or until a permanent Superintendent is in place.
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test.
Public Health Compliance
- Proof of COVID vaccination. Exemptions for religious/medical will be reviewed.
- Must follow safety and health protocols.
Alexandria is moving forward with plans to install new speed enforcement cameras with public meetings planned this fall ahead of implementation next year. In a release, the City of Alexandria…
There are still a number of ways to volunteer in Alexandria this summer. Art and music lovers can get their fix by volunteering as gallery guides at the Torpedo Factory…
The summer break is nearly over, and Alexandria City Public Schools students will walk into more secure buildings on Monday, August 22. That’s the message from ACPS, which after a…
Discover the quick and efficient home selling process when your dream job in a new location is obtained.
Do you struggle with anxiety, depression, stress, grief, trauma or anger? Are you ready to make a change?
Lauren K. Nickum, LCSW, CSAC from Peaceful Mind Solutions is now taking new clients for psychotherapy. Lauren has over 10 years of experience treating mental health disorders and general life stress in adults and adolescents. For more information visit
5 Star Auto Glass, an auto glass repair and replacement company based out of Fairfax, Virginia, now covers most of Fairfax County in its service area.
Part of 5 Star Auto Glass’ commitment to excellent customer service includes their super convenient mobile service. Whether you’re at home or the office, this highly-rated and experienced company will come to you.
As an added benefit, their OEM-grade adhesive provides a seal that’s not only trusted by top auto manufacturers but cures in just a couple of hours, allowing you to get back on the road safely and quickly.
For a free quote, visit their website www.5starautoglass.com or contact them at 703-539-0404.