Alexandria City Public Schools expects its interim superintendent to serve for the entire 2022-2023 school year, according to a new job listing for the position.
“It is anticipated that this opportunity could last for the entirety of SY22-23,” ACPS said on the job listing, which was posted on Thursday (June 30). “The Interim Superintendent will report to and work in partnership with the Alexandria City School Board to carry out the vision and strategic goals of the division to ensure the success of students, employees, and the overall school community while the search for the permanent superintendent is underway.”
ACPS asked for community input on the superintendent selection earlier this week, with the goal of filling the job by July 28.
The interim superintendent’s contract would last “Up to six months or until a permanent superintendent is in place,” ACPS said.
Superintendent Gregory Hutchings, Jr.’s resignation goes into effect at the end of August, and the interim superintendent will be chosen by July 28.
Hutchings was hired in 2017, following a one-year stint by former interim Superintendent Lois Berlin, the former superintendent of Falls Church City Public Schools.
ACPS posted than 70 positions to its career site last month, including principal jobs at George Washington Middle School and Samuel W. Tucker Elementary School, media relations specialists, school security officers, teachers, counselors and bus drivers.
— Alexandria City Public Schools (@ACPSk12) June 30, 2022
The full interim superintendent job description below the jump.
Alexandria City Public Schools has an opening for an Interim Superintendent to lead our uniquely diverse school division of over 15,500 students. It is anticipated that this opportunity could last for the entirety of SY22-23. The Interim Superintendent will report to and work in partnership with the Alexandria City School Board to carry out the vision and strategic goals of the division to ensure the success of students, employees, and the overall school community while the search for the permanent superintendent is underway. The successful candidate will perform complex professional and administrative work directing and providing leadership for all programs, operations, and activities. The School Board expects the Interim Superintendent to carefully maintain the well-established processes and procedures in place while also continuing the effective and efficient implementation of ACPS programs.
A combination of education and experience equivalent to a Doctorate degree in education and five or more years of experience in public school administration; a Division Superintendent Licensure endorsement or eligibility to receive one prior to appointment; knowledge of both central and school-based administrative policies and procedures; comprehensive knowledge of school law and the regulations of the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) that govern school operations; ability to manage fiscal and physical resources, and to direct the operations of a broad range of activities through departmental leaders.
- Successfully carry out the division’s responsibilities and Equity for All 2025 Strategic Plan.
- Ensure that ACPS is in compliance with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Plan, supervise and evaluate the work of all professionals and administrators while fostering a supportive work environment for all division employees.
- Plan agendas, attend School Board meetings, serve as a liaison between the School Board and staff; facilitate communications and represent School Board positions and decisions.
- Fiscally manage the school system through supervising and providing oversight of the annual budget and capital improvement plan to reflect budgetary priorities and maintain the quality of the instructional program.
- Interpret the needs of ACPS and make reports to the Board, providing facts and explanations needed to assist the School Board in its decision-making process.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with the community by developing and operating effective school-community relations, while acting as a public advocate for the school division at all times.
- Exercise fairness, objectivity, and attention to the best interests of the school division in the conduct of all personnel relations and decisions.
- Oversee the instructional program, emphasizing Social Emotional Academic Learning, within the framework of the regulations of the VDOE, and as supported by the goals and policies of the School Board
- Prioritize and support school safety initiatives in collaboration with staff, community stakeholders, and the school board.
Length of Contract:
- Up to six months or until a permanent Superintendent is in place.
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test.
Public Health Compliance
- Proof of COVID vaccination. Exemptions for religious/medical will be reviewed.
- Must follow safety and health protocols.
A look at the most and least expensive townhouses sold in Alexandria last month, August 2023.
Alexandria City Public Schools saw a 26% increase in student arrests last school year, and a disproportionate number of arrested students are Black males. There were 58 ACPS students arrested…
This weekend allows you to tour historic homes in Old Town (81st Annual Historic Alexandria Homes Tour), celebrate German style beers at Port City Brewing Company (Wunderfest), and much more….
Elevate your idea of elegance to new heights as you dive into luxury living like never before at Towngate North! With the recent completion of the final condominium building in…
Sometimes mold is easy to spot, but you don’t know how deep inside your walls it has spread. It can grow in sinks, cabinets, and other places you frequent every day. If you find mold, the question remains: Do I call a professional? Thistle Environmental, LLC believes in quality, comprehensive testing.
CALL NOW: (703) 929-4036
WOW 1 DAY PAINTING brings people a fast, affordable, and high-quality solution for all of their interior or exterior residential and commercial painting projects. We respect your time as much as you do and provide the quality paint job you expect, in a timeline that is unexpected.
Schedule a consult today:
The Made in ALX Fall Makers’ Market at Port City Brewing Co. in Alexandria is set for Sunday, Sept. 24!
This is the fall’s most fun sip-and-shop, featuring craft beer from the award-winning Port City Brewing Co. along with food,