Alexandria City Public Schools expects its interim superintendent to serve for the entire 2022-2023 school year, according to a new job listing for the position.
“It is anticipated that this opportunity could last for the entirety of SY22-23,” ACPS said on the job listing, which was posted on Thursday (June 30). “The Interim Superintendent will report to and work in partnership with the Alexandria City School Board to carry out the vision and strategic goals of the division to ensure the success of students, employees, and the overall school community while the search for the permanent superintendent is underway.”
ACPS asked for community input on the superintendent selection earlier this week, with the goal of filling the job by July 28.
The interim superintendent’s contract would last “Up to six months or until a permanent superintendent is in place,” ACPS said.
Superintendent Gregory Hutchings, Jr.’s resignation goes into effect at the end of August, and the interim superintendent will be chosen by July 28.
Hutchings was hired in 2017, following a one-year stint by former interim Superintendent Lois Berlin, the former superintendent of Falls Church City Public Schools.
ACPS posted than 70 positions to its career site last month, including principal jobs at George Washington Middle School and Samuel W. Tucker Elementary School, media relations specialists, school security officers, teachers, counselors and bus drivers.
Over 70 jobs were added to the #ACPS career site this month! Help us fill some vacancies and apply now at https://t.co/UqMq9bXals #alexandria #jobs #hiring #education
— Alexandria City Public Schools (@ACPSk12) June 30, 2022
The full interim superintendent job description below the jump.
Alexandria City Public Schools has an opening for an Interim Superintendent to lead our uniquely diverse school division of over 15,500 students. It is anticipated that this opportunity could last for the entirety of SY22-23. The Interim Superintendent will report to and work in partnership with the Alexandria City School Board to carry out the vision and strategic goals of the division to ensure the success of students, employees, and the overall school community while the search for the permanent superintendent is underway. The successful candidate will perform complex professional and administrative work directing and providing leadership for all programs, operations, and activities. The School Board expects the Interim Superintendent to carefully maintain the well-established processes and procedures in place while also continuing the effective and efficient implementation of ACPS programs.
A combination of education and experience equivalent to a Doctorate degree in education and five or more years of experience in public school administration; a Division Superintendent Licensure endorsement or eligibility to receive one prior to appointment; knowledge of both central and school-based administrative policies and procedures; comprehensive knowledge of school law and the regulations of the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) that govern school operations; ability to manage fiscal and physical resources, and to direct the operations of a broad range of activities through departmental leaders.
- Successfully carry out the division’s responsibilities and Equity for All 2025 Strategic Plan.
- Ensure that ACPS is in compliance with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Plan, supervise and evaluate the work of all professionals and administrators while fostering a supportive work environment for all division employees.
- Plan agendas, attend School Board meetings, serve as a liaison between the School Board and staff; facilitate communications and represent School Board positions and decisions.
- Fiscally manage the school system through supervising and providing oversight of the annual budget and capital improvement plan to reflect budgetary priorities and maintain the quality of the instructional program.
- Interpret the needs of ACPS and make reports to the Board, providing facts and explanations needed to assist the School Board in its decision-making process.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with the community by developing and operating effective school-community relations, while acting as a public advocate for the school division at all times.
- Exercise fairness, objectivity, and attention to the best interests of the school division in the conduct of all personnel relations and decisions.
- Oversee the instructional program, emphasizing Social Emotional Academic Learning, within the framework of the regulations of the VDOE, and as supported by the goals and policies of the School Board
- Prioritize and support school safety initiatives in collaboration with staff, community stakeholders, and the school board.
Length of Contract:
- Up to six months or until a permanent Superintendent is in place.
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance.
- Tuberculosis Skin Test.
Public Health Compliance
- Proof of COVID vaccination. Exemptions for religious/medical will be reviewed.
- Must follow safety and health protocols.
The proposed redevelopment of a pair of blue and white buildings, a former Burke & Herbert Bank and a former Walgreens, is heading back to city review next month….
Good Tuesday morning, Alexandria! ⛅ Today’s weather: Mostly cloudy throughout the day. High of 55 and low of 41. ⛅ Tomorrow: Partly cloudy throughout the day. High of 57 and…
Four Alexandria school zones have been selected for a pilot program to install speed cameras, according to a presentation prepared for a joint City Council and School Board meeting. This…
A proposed extension of the King Street Trolley has reappeared in a new DASH transit plan. The bus network’s FY 2023-2028 Transit Development Plan includes a look behind the curtain…
Monarch Montessori School located in the heart of Del Ray is enrolling children 6 weeks to 6 years of age for our half day and full day program.
Our hours of operation are 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM, Monday-Friday. Monarch Montessori School is open year round, with intermittent breaks.
Children engage in self-directed, self-initiated activities under the guidance of a trained Montessori teacher. Classroom sizes range from 8-12 students. Our robust curriculum includes botany, sensorial activities, the social graces, culture, math, science, practical life, geography, music appreciation and language arts.
You’ll get half off of the registration fee when you register and begin care with us before April 30, 2023.
EDBS Dental Billing Solutions is pleased to announce that it has achieved compliance with the federally mandated standards of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) through the use of Compliancy Group’s proprietary HIPAA methodology, The Guard® compliance tracking software, and HIPAA Seal of Compliance®.
The HIPAA Seal of Compliance is issued to organizations that have implemented an effective HIPAA compliance program through the use of The Guard, Compliancy Group’s proprietary compliance tracking solution.
Clients and patients are becoming more aware of the requirements of HIPAA compliance and how the regulation protects their personal information. Forward-thinking providers like EDBS Dental Billing Solutions choose the HIPAA Seal of Compliance to differentiate their services.
Del Ray Dog Fest & Yappy Hour
The 1st Annual Del Ray Dog Fest is a fun outdoor event that will include dog-centered activities, dog menu items, live music, vendors and food on Sunday, April 2 from 11am- 3pm at the George Washington Middle School parking lot.