Alexandria is one of several localities around Virginia selected for a Virginia Department of Health (VDH) program that will be distributing free COVID testing kits from the local libraries.
“Today [Tuesday], the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) announced its partnership with 18 libraries and library systems across the commonwealth to distribute COVID-19 rapid antigen at-home test kits at no cost,” the VDH said. “The pilot program begins this week and will run through Friday, Dec. 31.”
The tests being offered are the Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Antigen Card Home Test, and the VDH said they can be used at home with digital results returned in 15 minutes.
“We are pleased to work with public libraries to provide another testing option for our community and to increase accessibility,” Dr. Laurie Forlano, deputy director of the Office of Epidemiology, said in the press release. “Testing continues to be important to stop the spread of COVID-19, particularly as we enter the holiday season when people gather.”
The Alexandria Health Department also put out a quick reminder of safety tips and recommendations as the holiday season approaches.
- Get all eligible members of your family fully vaccinated, including booster shots, if appropriate.
- Wear a mask indoors when around those not in your household.
- Stay home when sick.
- Maintain 6 feet of physical distance from others as much as possible.
- Avoid crowded and indoor areas where distancing is not possible, or where you will be in close contact with those whose vaccination status is unknown.
- If you think you may have COVID-19 or may have been exposed, get tested and follow guidelines for isolation and quarantine.
- Wash your hands with soap and water, or use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available. This will help prevent many diseases, including the seasonal flu.
- If not fully vaccinated, stay away from others and get tested 3-5 days after returning home from travel.
Like expert fingers knitting a long scarf, Danielle Romanetti is busy. Romanetti’s yarn shop fibre space (1319 Prince Street) is prepped and ready for Plaid Friday, an alternative to Black…
The Alexandria Health Department is advising residents to take COVID-19 tests before and after traveling this Thanksgiving holiday weekend. “Everyone has a role in keeping COVID-19 out of holiday gatherings,”…
Included in this week’s Just Listed is a 5 BD/4 BA brick colonial home with a finished lower level, patio and fenced rear yard.
(Updated 1:30 p.m.) Police say a barricade situation that’s been ongoing for roughly 24 hours has been peacefully resolved. It started with a road-rage incident around noon yesterday (Tuesday) that…