An Alexandria man was arrested last month for a half dozen petit larceny incidents where packages were stolen from the front doors of homes in Old Town.
The 56-year-old suspect, who lives in the West End, was arrested on October 1 and released on $2,000 bond the following day. He was charged with six counts of petit larceny for incidents that go back as far as February.
On August 18, at around 1:30 p.m., a woman reported that the suspect walked up to her front door in the 500 block of Gibbon Street in Old Town and removed a package with $60 of merchandise from her property, according to a search warrant affidavit. The victim told police that the suspect fled with an accomplice in an older model beige-colored Toyota Camry.
Police tracked down the car and its owner, who filled the description of the suspect, according to the affidavit.
Using footage from homes using the Ring video doorbell surveillance system, police found the following similar incidents:
- $50 worth of food items stolen on February 23, 2021 in the 500 block of N. Pitt Street
- $250 sleep apnea machine stolen from the unit block of Cockrell Avenue on July 9
- A pair of $39.95 sneakers were stolen from the 5000 block of Donavan Drive on July 9
- $393.17 worth of electrical lighting fixtures were stolen from the 500 block of N. Patrick Street on August 26
- $74 worth of delivered food was stolen from the 500 block of N. Patrick Street on August 26
- $52 worth of delivered food was stolen from 125 S. Payne Street on September 6
After police seized the property, the suspect repeatedly called the investigating officer and asked for a return of the stolen merchandise.
The suspect goes to court on December 20.
The big story in Alexandria this week was the murder of Luis Mejia Hernandez on Tuesday. Hernandez was stabbed and killed in a brawl outside of the Mcdonald’s in the…
After a Sunday storm that knocked out power to much of the city, some locals suggested Dominion Energy look into undergrounding more of its utilities, but the power company says…
A 3 BD/2.5 BA home with a slate patio, fully finished basement and over 2,000 sq. ft. is included in Open Houses.
A severe thunderstorm warning has been issued for Alexandria and the city is starting to see heavy rainfall. The city is also under an areal flood watch. “The National Weather…