There’s a lot in store this week in Alexandria. Here’s a few events to look forward to.
Wednesday, September 8
- Blue Oyster Cult at The Birchmere (7:30 p.m.) — The 1960s-era band is known for such hits as ” The Reaper”, “Burnin’ for You”, and “Godzilla”. All guests must provide proof of vaccination if they want to attend the performance.
- Outdoor story time for toddlers (11:30 a.m.) –This outdoor program is perfect for ages two-to-five, and will be held outdoors and in-person at Burke Branch Library. Masks are required, and you might want to bring something to sit on.
- Trivia night at The Light Horse (7 p.m.) — “Grab your mates & head down to 715 King Street for a great evening of Q&A in a fun and friendly atmosphere. Delicious food, cold craft beers and delish cocktails await”
Thursday, September 9
- Julia Fordham at The Birchmere (7:30 p.m.) — The British singer-songwriter is performing after her shows were rescheduled from April and October 2020, and all tickets from those shows will be honored. Additional tickets for Thursday night are on sale.
- Willa Cather book discussion (7 p.m.) — “In the upcoming year, a statue of novelist Willa Cather will be installed in statuary hall in the U.S. Capital Building. Let’s celebrate with a discussion about one of Cather’s intriguing novels, The Professor’s House.”
Friday, September 10
- August Wilson’s “Fences” at the Little Theatre of Alexandria (7 p.m.) — “Join Manumission Tour Company on September 10th at 7pm to see a special performance of August Wilson’s famous play, FENCES. Proceeds raised from this special showing will go to the production of an upcoming MTC about black history in Old Town’s South East Quadrant.”
Saturday, September 11s
- September 11 remembrance ceremony (10 a.m.) — The city will honor all of the victims on the 20th anniversary of the attacks of September 11. The event will be held at Waterfront Park, or, in the event of rain, at City Hall. Masks are required at the event.
- Madeleine Peyroux ‘Careless Love Tour’ at The Birchmere (7:30 p.m.) — The American singer-songwirter with Parisian roots will perform vintage jazz and blues.
The Del Ray Menorah and Christmas tree lightings are back on Sunday. Holiday carols will bring Santa Claus back to the neighborhood for the event, which starts at 6 p.m….
American Horticultural Society plans for future — “Following a long saga of many ups, downs, twists and turns, the American Horticultural Society is celebrating its 100th anniversary this year.” [Alexandria Times]…
A new authority responsible for promoting railways in Virginia said the only real solution to a degraded bridge over King Street is full replacement. The Virginia Passenger Rail Authority (VPRA)…
(Updated 2:30 p.m.) If you’ve got a Christmas list, there’s a mailbox in Alexandria dedicated to sending letters to Santa Claus and he’s responding. For the second straight year, Bill…
High School Senior Anxious about College Life? Our amazing graduate interns, Meghan Damminger and Kelly Charwat are starting an affordable College Readiness group in early 2023. Working out day and time. Please email [email protected] to set up a free consultation after the Thanksgiving holiday. And yes, Meghan and Kelly have a few openings for individual clients as well. Their rate is $45 per session. [www.sarahmoorelpc.com](http://www.sarahmoorelpc.com/?fbclid=IwAR3ZlfQnSLVRCc78HbTZutDYZErTctC_5pl- zt4eo_wjQo1gF6uHS–k32g).
Monarch Montessori School, located in the education center at 218 East Monroe Avenue, is currently enrolling infants and toddlers for the 2022-2023 school year. We’re an authentic Montessori preschool with a STEM emphasis!
We Offer: Arts & Crafts, Yoga & Pottery, Language & Early Literacy, Botany & Culinary Arts, Music Appreciation, Chorus & Language Immersion, Mathematics, Geography & Science, Practical Life & Culture.
Full-time, part-time, flexible and drop-in options!
Don’t miss this toe tapping celebration!
The Symphony Orchestra of Northern Virginia (SONOVA) presents “Brassy Jazzy Christmas,” a strong lineup of Christmas and holiday favorites. Inspired by Stan Keton’s album “A Merry Christmas!,” SONOVA has created a jazz band–substituting french
Join in Alexandria’s favorite Thanksgiving tradition- the 47th Turkey Trot 5 Mile Race. Alexandria’s favorite Thanksgiving morning tradition, the Alexandria Turkey Trot, returns to the streets of Del Ray on Thursday, November 24 at 9 a.m. In the spirit of