There’s a lot in store this week in Alexandria. Here’s a few events to look forward to.
Wednesday, September 8
- Blue Oyster Cult at The Birchmere (7:30 p.m.) — The 1960s-era band is known for such hits as ” The Reaper”, “Burnin’ for You”, and “Godzilla”. All guests must provide proof of vaccination if they want to attend the performance.
- Outdoor story time for toddlers (11:30 a.m.) –This outdoor program is perfect for ages two-to-five, and will be held outdoors and in-person at Burke Branch Library. Masks are required, and you might want to bring something to sit on.
- Trivia night at The Light Horse (7 p.m.) — “Grab your mates & head down to 715 King Street for a great evening of Q&A in a fun and friendly atmosphere. Delicious food, cold craft beers and delish cocktails await”
Thursday, September 9
- Julia Fordham at The Birchmere (7:30 p.m.) — The British singer-songwriter is performing after her shows were rescheduled from April and October 2020, and all tickets from those shows will be honored. Additional tickets for Thursday night are on sale.
- Willa Cather book discussion (7 p.m.) — “In the upcoming year, a statue of novelist Willa Cather will be installed in statuary hall in the U.S. Capital Building. Let’s celebrate with a discussion about one of Cather’s intriguing novels, The Professor’s House.”
Friday, September 10
- August Wilson’s “Fences” at the Little Theatre of Alexandria (7 p.m.) — “Join Manumission Tour Company on September 10th at 7pm to see a special performance of August Wilson’s famous play, FENCES. Proceeds raised from this special showing will go to the production of an upcoming MTC about black history in Old Town’s South East Quadrant.”
Saturday, September 11s
- September 11 remembrance ceremony (10 a.m.) — The city will honor all of the victims on the 20th anniversary of the attacks of September 11. The event will be held at Waterfront Park, or, in the event of rain, at City Hall. Masks are required at the event.
- Madeleine Peyroux ‘Careless Love Tour’ at The Birchmere (7:30 p.m.) — The American singer-songwirter with Parisian roots will perform vintage jazz and blues.
Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana Sets Opening For July In Alexandria — “Frank Pepe, the brand that created the New Haven-style pizza, will arrive in Alexandria during July.” [Patch] It’s Thursday —…
Even after pushback by groups ranging from tenants and worker unions to the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA), Alexandria’s City Council approved a major step for the GenOn Power Plant…
Alexandria leaders will be on-hand on Thursday, July 14, for the unveiling and dedication of AlexRenew’s RiverRenew Tunnel Project. The $454.4 million project will replace Old Town’s 19th century combined sewer…
Residents in Arlington and Alexandria can now report suspected sightings of the spotted lanternfly, an invasive insect spreading around the region. Master Gardeners of Northern Virginia has launched an online survey for people…