The “Dogs of Del Ray” mural is just the latest story that has put this beloved Alexandria neighborhood in the news the past few years. The Dairy Godmother landed in the spotlight summer of 2009 when President Obama dropped by. Just a few years later, The Sushi Bar was mentioned on the Today Show for being an adult sushi bar (no children under 18) opening in a neighborhood known for being kid-friendly.
Of course, national news is not what has made Del Ray one of the most desirable places to live in the area. Del Ray has an incredibly strong and warm sense of community. On any given day, take a stroll down Mount Vernon Avenue (the main street), and you will find dogs being walked, kids in strollers and neighbors talking with one another. The Saturday farmers market (every Saturday year-round at 203 E. Oxford) is a great place to test out the community vibe.
If a Saturday morning doesn’t work for you, there are many great events throughout the year that also demonstrate how strong (and frequently!) this community comes together. Consider taking part in a “First Thursday” to support the local businesses (May through September), the Halloween parade (October) or the annual Art on the Avenue festival that brings in people from around northern VA (October). Catch a family-friendly outdoor movie surrounded by locals at Cinema Del Ray (next movie Sept. 18). Enjoy samplings from the many local restaurants at the Taste of Del Ray (June).
However, we guarantee you don’t need to wait for the Taste of Del Ray to experience one of the many fun dining options offered. Here are just a few of our favorites:
- Pizza: Piece Out, Stracci and Del Ray Pizzeria
- Beer: Hops N Shine and The Garden
- Wine: Cheesetique and Planet Wine
- Mexican: Los Tios and Taqueria el Poblano
- Asian Fusion/Sushi: Kaizen Tavern and The Sushi Bar
- Coffee: St. Elmos and Swing’s
- Other favorites: Evening Star Café and Junction Bakery
Annually, the Del Ray Business Association presents an award to a local business that represents the heart and soul of Del Ray. Known as the “Heart of Del Ray Award,” it was bestowed upon Dolce & Bean in 2021.
If you are new to the Alexandria or Arlington area, chances are you may not have heard of Del Ray — small-town America nestled between S. Arlington and Old Town Alexandria. If you always take Richmond Highway (aka Route 1) to/from Alexandria to Arlington or D.C., you are literally driving by one of the most charming neighborhoods where “everyone knows your name” as they said on “Cheers.”
This vibrant town offers convenient access to Amazon HQ2, National Landing/Crystal City, Pentagon City, Old Town, Reagan National Airport, Virginia Tech Innovation Campus, The District, the Pentagon, 395 and more! Geographically, it’s bounded by West and East Glebe Road (north), Braddock Road (south), Russell Road (west) and Richmond Highway (east).
Del Ray’s Fee Simple Market
Attached Homes (duplexes or townhouses)
- Active/Coming Soon: At the time of publication, there are 7 attached homes for sale with an average list price of $723,314.
- Under Contract: At the time of publication, there are 17 attached homes under contract with an average list price of $751,524.
- Closed: Within the six months prior to publication, 92 attached homes closed with an average closed price of $725,495.
- Active/Coming Soon: At the time of publication, 6 active are detached with an average list price of $1,240,667.
- Under contract: At the time of publication, there are 7 are detached homes under contract with an average list price of $1,324,714.
- Closed: Within the six months prior to publication, 54 detached homes closed with an average closed price of $1,120,000.
About The Seward Group: We are award-winning real estate agents with TTR Sotheby’s International Realty. Lyssa Seward, Brittanie DeChino, Melody Abella, Anita Edwards, Laura Catron, Gina Wimpey and Elaine McCall make up our team. We offer our clients Full-Spectrum Concierge Real Estate Service at all price points, assisting with every step of the process from beginning to end. We are licensed in Virginia, D.C. and Maryland with TTR Sotheby’s International Realty in Old Town Alexandria.
What a week in Alexandria. Here’s the rundown. Our top story this week is about Ricardo Roberts, a District B candidate for the Alexandria School Board. Roberts, who intends to…
Growing older hasn’t improved Dr. Robert Wallace’s memory, and he’s doing something about it. For the last two months, the resident of Alexandria’s Goodwin House Incorporated has participated in StrongerMemory,…
Alexandria Police have been dispatched to Alexandria City Public Schools three times to respond to students fighting since school started on August 24. The most recent incident occurred on Tuesday,…
Included in the latest Just Listed is a 4BD/3.5BA home in Del Ray with a covered front porch, gas fireplace, and private stone patio and backyard.