Kelly Grant made it happen.
Last year, after five months of an exhausting pandemic, Grant struck oil after launching the Alexandria Drive-In. The effort raised more than $100,000, with more than 12,000 people safely seeing movies on the big screen again. Proceeds from the films went to ACT for Alexandria, the Scholarship Fund of Alexandria and Athena Rapid Response.
“It’s incredibly moving to watch the power of community make lasting impacts in our city,” Grant said. “Keep an eye out for ALX Community’s future community initiatives, as we continue to serve and support the wonderful people, small businesses, and communities that make Alexandria the place we love and call home.”
The Drive-In has since gone into its second season.
Volunteer Alexandria presented the following awards:
The Joan White Volunteer Service Award
- Cynthia Chin – Mentor and Creative Director volunteer with Space of her Own. Cynthia has used her creativity and passion to empower and inspire girls and her experience as an Asian-American woman to spread a message of acceptance; from mentor to board member, co-program manager, and creative director, her volunteer service has been instrumental in enhancing and expanding youth programs in Alexandria
- Phyllis and Anthony Johnson – Volunteers for the West End Food pantry. Both volunteers replaced senior volunteers during COVID and worked every Monday night so the pantry can stay open during the pandemic and hungry families could be fed
- John Perlman – Volunteers for the food program and delivers groceries and serves on the Early Childhood committee for ALIVE!
- Charlotte Martinsson – Serves on ALIVE!’s executive board, volunteers for several programs – Food, Family Assistance, and for the Quarantine Food Program.
Emergency Preparedness Volunteer Service Award
- Bridget Donohue – Medical Reserve Corps (MRC) volunteer for the Alexandria Health Department; answered Information Line Call Center
- Paul Mazzuca – Medical Reserve Corps (MRC) for the Alexandria Health Department
Above & Beyond Recognition During a Time of COVID Award
- Allen Brooks, The Garden and Building Momentum – Co-founder of the drive-in movies, which allowed families to enjoy movies and agencies to receive unrestricted money
- Holly Batal – Volunteered for Safehouse and hotline for the Alexandria Domestic Violence Program. Holly is passionate, committed, and driven about assisting victims experiencing violence
- Kobi Carter – Teacher, tutor, translator, interpreter, registration assistant, and Zoom coach for the Literacy Council of NoVa
- Elyse Demaray – Writer and researcher for grants and the newsletter that help tell the story for Community Lodgings
- Haywon Kim – Volunteered with Learn & PlayGroup as co-facilitator for the group of children with the Center for Alexandria’s Children
- Mike Mixon – RSVP Northern Virginia volunteer who works with the American Red Cross to assist with disasters
- Maria Sanchez-Carlo – Volunteered with the Groceries to Go and Friendly Visitor program with Senior Services of Alexandria
- Kenneth Tieu – Mentor for high school students with the Dream Project
- Mike Zito – Mentor for high school students
Chewish Deli Opens King Street Location — “Chewish Deli, which started as a pop-up and food truck, now has its second brick-and-mortar location serving Alexandria” [Patch] It’s Tuesday — Humid…
With summer heat in full swing, Covid cases are trending downward in Alexandria. As of Monday (August 8), there are 39,692 reported cases, according to the Virginia Department of Health….
The Woodbine Rehabilitation and Healthcare facility (2729 King Street) near Ivy Hill Cemetery is seeking permission from the city to build a new three-story addition to the healthcare complex, though…
If there’s a business you’re a particularly big fan of in Alexandria, you might be able to help them out by nominating them for The Chamber ALX’s Best in Business…
5 Star Auto Glass, an auto glass repair and replacement company based out of Fairfax, Virginia, now covers most of Fairfax County in its service area.
Part of 5 Star Auto Glass’ commitment to excellent customer service includes their super convenient mobile service. Whether you’re at home or the office, this highly-rated and experienced company will come to you.
As an added benefit, their OEM-grade adhesive provides a seal that’s not only trusted by top auto manufacturers but cures in just a couple of hours, allowing you to get back on the road safely and quickly.
For a free quote, visit their website www.5starautoglass.com or contact them at 703-539-0404.
Do you struggle with anxiety, depression, stress, grief, trauma or anger? Are you ready to make a change?
Lauren K. Nickum, LCSW, CSAC from Peaceful Mind Solutions is now taking new clients for psychotherapy. Lauren has over 10 years of experience treating mental health disorders and general life stress in adults and adolescents. For more information visit peacefulmindsolutions.com.