There have been three more coronavirus-related deaths in Alexandria, and the case count has reached 10,186, according to the Virginia Department of Health.
That’s 149 cases since Monday, continuing a downward trend in cases. Two of the deaths were in their 80s and one was in their 60s. One victim was a woman and two were men.
There have also been 503 total hospitalizations in Alexandria since the onset of the pandemic, and the city’s seven-day moving average is now at 26.6, which is down from last Monday’s total of 37.4 cases.
Across Virginia, there have been 7,486 deaths and there are or have been 565,270 cases of the virus. There have also been 5.7 million PCR (polymerase chain reaction) tests and the state’s seven-day positivity rate is 8.1%.
As of last Friday, 17,099 residents have received at least one dose and 5,799 residents have been fully vaccinated. More than 35,000 city residents have pre-registered to get the vaccine.
According to the Alexandria Health Department:
Between February 12 and February 18, AHD administered 1,192 first doses and 792 second doses. These numbers do not include vaccines administered by private providers and pharmacies. This week’s inclement weather forced rescheduled events, delayed vaccine shipments, and resulted in lower than expected weekly total of vaccinations. Alexandria continues to receive under 2,000 first doses a week, with about half going to AHD events and half going to private provider partners.
Across Virginia, 1.1 million people have received at least one dose, and 481,287 people have been fully vaccinated, according to VDH.
There are or have been 5,286 women (with 51 deaths) and 4,841 men (with 56 deaths) in Alexandria with the virus. The only age groups that have not experienced a death are children and teenagers.
- 80+ — 45 deaths, 254 cases
- 70-79 — 27 deaths, 335 cases
- 60-69 — 16 deaths, 765 cases
- 50-59 — 14 deaths, 1,206 cases
- 40-49 — Two deaths, 1,721 cases
- 30-39 — Two deaths, 2,373 cases
- 20-29 — One death, 2,032 cases
- 10-19 — Zero deaths, 747 cases
- 0-9 — Zero deaths, 728 cases
Latino residents have the most infections with 3,489 reported cases (17 deaths), white residents with 2,580 cases (54 deaths), and Black residents with 2,083 cases (26 deaths). There are 471 cases with Asian or Pacific Islander residents (four deaths), 308 cases classified as “other” (two deaths) and 10 native American cases (no deaths).
There have also been 88 outbreaks in the city, including 20 at long term care facilities, 46 in congregate settings, five at health care settings, 11 in child care settings, two at a college, two in a K-12 setting and two at a correctional facility. There have been 905 cases associated with the outbreaks. Health care workers also make up 568 of those positive COVID cases, according to VDH.
There have been 119,382 Polymer Chain Reaction (PCR) tests administered in the city; 6,729 antibody tests and 12,528 antigen tests.
Alexandria’s seven-day positivity rate is now at 6.2% (down 2% from last week). Below are statistics for neighboring jurisdictions:
- Arlington County has 12,894 cases, 214 deaths and a 5.9% seven-day positivity rate
- Fairfax County has 66,137 cases, 879 deaths and a 7.8% seven-day positivity rate
- Loudoun County has 22,704 cases, 203 deaths and a 8.8% seven-day positivity rate
Need a test? Find where tests are administered here.
Cases By ZIP Code
The areas of the city with the leading number of cases are the 22304, 22305 and 22312 ZIP codes, which include the West End and Arlandria, Potomac Yard and Potomac West neighborhoods.
Some of the areas share jurisdictions between Alexandria and Arlington and Fairfax Counties:
- 22301 — 514 cases, 11,027 people tested (Estimated population 15,171)
- 22302 — 1,137 cases, 19,384 people tested (Estimated population 20,238)
- 22304 — 3,403 cases, 35,273 people tested (Estimated population 54,003)
- 22305 — 1,499 cases, 12,768 people tested (Estimated population 16,095)
- 22311 — 1,646 cases, 14,271 people tested (Estimated population 16,898)
- 22312 — 2,506 cases, 19,210 people tested (Estimated population 6,901)
- 22314 — 1,468 cases, 26,659 people tested (Estimated population 47,826)
Photo via CDC/Unsplash
Police are investigating a grand larceny from a local glasses business in the city’s West End. The incident took place at the Bauer’s Optical (4680 King Street) in Shoppes at…
Three years after Alexandria’s School Board voted to stick with one high school, plans are headed to Alexandria’s City Council that could help shed light on what that one high…
Among the slate of new officials being picked for statewide positions under Governor Glenn Youngkin is a familiar face among Alexandria Republicans: former City Council candidate Monique Miles. Miles was…
Alexandria Sheriff Sean Casey says the recent actions of a deputy against a YouTuber outside the city jail are “inconsistent” with its policies and procedures. In a video that posted…