Five more Alexandria residents have died from COVID-19, and the death toll from the virus now stands at 96. The city has reached 8,810 cases, an increase of 654 cases since this time last week.
On the vaccine front, there have been more than 300,000 doses of the vaccine distributed across Virginia, and 36,826 people have been fully vaccinated, according to the Virginia Department of Health.
The vaccine is now available to seniors older than 65, anyone ages 16-64 with preexisting conditions and health care workers. Pre-register to receive a vaccine in Alexandria here. Need a test? Find where tests are administered here.
Across Virginia, there have been 5,798 deaths and there are or have been 451,076 cases of the virus. There have also been 4.6 million PCR (polymerase chain reaction) tests and the state’s seven-day positivity rate is 16.7%.
There are or have been 4,578 women (with 41 deaths*) and 4,183 men (with 49 deaths*) in Alexandria with the virus. The only age groups that have not experienced a death are children and teenagers.
- 80+ — 39 deaths*, 227 cases
- 70-79 — 23 deaths*, 296 cases
- 60-69 — 10 deaths*, 655 cases
- 50-59 — 14 deaths*, 1,028 cases
- 40-49 — Two deaths*, 1,502 cases
- 30-39 — Two deaths*, 2,040 cases
- 20-29 — One death*, 1,776 cases
- 10-19 — Zero deaths*, 634 cases
- 0-9 — Zero deaths*, 622 cases
*Updated demographic information, including deaths, was not available on the VDH COVID-19 website.
Latino residents have the most infections with 3,189 reported cases, white residents with 2,157 cases, and Black residents with 1,768 cases. There are 381 cases with Asian or Pacific Islander residents, 251 cases classified as “other” and nine native American cases.
Cases By ZIP Code
The areas of the city with the leading number of cases are the 22304, 22305 and 22312 ZIP codes, which include the West End and Arlandria, Potomac Yard and Potomac West neighborhoods.
Some of the areas share jurisdictions between Alexandria and Arlington and Fairfax Counties:
- 22301 — 433 cases, 9,239 people tested (Estimated population 15,171)
- 22302 — 981 cases, 15,997 people tested (Estimated population 20,238)
- 22304 — 2,916 cases, 29,858 people tested (Estimated population 54,003)
- 22305 — 1,369 cases, 10,986 people tested (Estimated population 16,095)
- 22311 — 1,461 cases, 12,366 people tested (Estimated population 16,898)
- 22312 — 2,091 cases, 16,447 people tested (Estimated population 6,901)
- 22314 — 1,220 cases, 22,337 people tested (Estimated population 47,826)
Photo via CDC/Unsplash
A GoFundMe campaign has been launched to revitalize a memorial garden dedicated to peace and reflection after the 9/11 attacks. So far, more than $4,000 (out of a $9,000 goal)…
Since Birchmere reopened last July, the venue (3701 Mt Vernon Avenue) has had a few hit shows like KT Tunstall and The Steeldrivers later this week (tickets are sold out,…
A former receptionist at Landmark Honda posted bail after being arrested earlier this month for stealing and using a customer’s credit card. The incident occurred in January, and the suspect…
In its first regular show since shutting down last year, the Little Theatre of Alexandria is back to suspending disbelief with its latest farce, Neil Simon’s Rumors. “Laugh hard,” director…