Three more Alexandria residents have died from COVID-19, and the death toll from the virus now stands at 86. The city has also reached 7,107 cases of COVID-19 in the city, an increase of 390 cases since this time last week.
The victims were two men and a woman. Two victims were in their 80s and one was in their 70s, according to the Virginia Department of Health.
On the vaccine front, 392 vaccines have been administered to health care workers and seniors in Alexandria. There have been more than 200,000 doses of the vaccine distributed across Virginia, and a total of 41,709 first doses of the vaccine have been administered.
Across Virginia, there have been 4,861 deaths and there are or have been 336,175 cases of the virus. There have also been 4.2 million PCR (polymerase chain reaction) tests and the state’s seven-day positivity rate is 12.3%.
There are or have been 3,720 women (with 39 deaths) and 3,367 men (with 46 deaths) in Alexandria with the virus. The only age groups that have not experienced a death are children and teenagers.
- 80+ — 38 deaths, 186 cases
- 70-79 — 21 deaths, 231 cases
- 60-69 — Nine deaths, 529 cases
- 50-59 — 14 deaths, 845 cases
- 40-49 — One death, 1,220 cases
- 30-39 — Two deaths, 1,643 cases
- 20-29 — One death, 1,428 cases
- 10-19 — Zero deaths, 496 cases
- 0-9 — Zero deaths, 506 cases
Latino residents have the most infections with 2,793 reported cases (with 15 deaths), white residents with 1,632 cases (46 deaths), and Black residents with 1,398 cases (21 deaths). There are 285 cases with Asian or Pacific Islander residents (one death), 196 cases classified as “other” (two deaths) and seven native American cases (no deaths).
There have also been 63 outbreaks in the city (an increase of seven since last week), including 19 at long term care facilities, 33 in congregate settings, six in child care settings, one at a college, one in a K-12 setting and two at a correctional facility. There have been 664 cases associated with the outbreaks. Health care workers also make up 434 positive COVID cases, according to VDH.
There have been 88,843 COVID tests administered in the city; 5,981 antibody tests and 4,403 antigen tests. The city’s seven-day positivity rate is now at 8.1%.
- Arlington County has 8,054 cases, 169 deaths and a 7.5% seven-day positivity rate
- Fairfax County has 40,551 cases, 670 deaths and a 10.8% seven-day positivity rate
- Loudoun County has 12,861 cases, 155 deaths and a 12.2% seven-day positivity rate
Need a test? Find out where tests are administered here.
Cases By ZIP Code
The areas of the city with the leading number of cases are the 22304, 22305 and 22312 ZIP codes, which include the West End and Arlandria, Potomac Yard and Potomac West neighborhoods.
Some of the areas share jurisdictions between Alexandria and Arlington and Fairfax Counties:
- 22301 — 313 cases, 7,855 people tested (Estimated population 15,171)
- 22302 — 816 cases, 13,982 people tested (Estimated population 20,238)
- 22304 — 2,294 cases, 25,290 people tested (Estimated population 54,003)
- 22305 — 1,211 cases, 9,618 people tested (Estimated population 16,095)
- 22311 — 1,211 cases, 10,627 people tested (Estimated population 16,898)
- 22312 — 1,765 cases, 14,075 people tested (Estimated population 6,901)
- 22314 — 878 cases, 18,471 people tested (Estimated population 47,826)
Photo via CDC/Unsplash
Bonchon Chicken opens new Alexandria restaurant — “South Korean chicken chain opens its first restaurant in the City of Alexandria.” [Alexandria Living Magazine] George Washington Birthday Parade on Feb. 21…
Just hours before a Joint City Council/School Board Subcommittee meeting, new Alexandria City Manager Jim Parajon spoke with Alexandria City Public Schools Superintendent Gregory Hutchings, Jr. Parajon, who started work…
Alexandria is hoping to cut back on the noise nuisance from leafblowers and street buskers. At a Waterfront Commission meeting last week, city staff discussed changes made to the noise…
A 40-year-old Alexandria man suspected of participating in a drive-by shooting in the West End earlier this month was released on bond shortly after being booked in the Alexandria jail….