Alexandria now has 6,260 cases of COVID-19, an increase of 470 cases since this time last week.
The update comes as Governor Ralph Northam recently announced plans to release the first doses of the COVID-19 vaccine. The first doses will only be available to health care workers in hospitals and long-term care facilities.
This is an important update from the @GovernorVA
The City has worked with the Commonwealth to plan for vaccinations for most of 2020.
It is a thrill and a relief that the first allotment will reach VA within the next 48 hours for distribution to the highest risk populations. https://t.co/K192MFB9Np
— Justin Wilson (@justindotnet) December 12, 2020
Across Virginia, there have been 4,414 deaths and there are or have been 285,149 cases of the virus. There have been 3.5 million PCR (polymerase chain reaction) tests and the state’s seven-day positivity rate is 10.8%.
There are or have been 3,297 women (with 40 deaths) and 2,945 men (with 42 deaths) in Alexandria with the virus. The only age groups that have not experienced a death so far are children and teenagers.
- 80+ — 36 deaths, 165 cases
- 70-79 — 21 deaths, 200 cases
- 60-69 — Seven deaths, 460 cases
- 50-59 — 14 deaths, 742 cases
- 40-49 — One death, 1,081 cases
- 30-39 — Two deaths, 1,457 cases
- 20-29 — One death, 1,259 cases
- 10-19 — Zero deaths, 430 cases
- 0-9 — Zero deaths, 444 cases
Latino residents have the most infections with 2,584 reported cases (with 14 deaths), white residents with 1,398 cases (45 deaths), and Black residents with 1,223 cases (19 deaths). There are 243 cases with Asian or Pacific Islander residents (one death), 168 cases classified as “other” (two deaths) and five native American cases (no deaths).
There have also been 49 outbreaks in the city (an increase of six since last week), including 12 at long term care facilities, 28 in congregate settings, five in child care settings, one at a college, one in a K-12 setting and one at a correctional facility.
There have been 540 cases associated with the outbreaks. Health care workers also make up 370 positive COVID cases, according to VDH.
There have been 75,319 COVID tests administered in the city; 5,767 antibody tests and 3,381 antigen tests. The city’s seven-day positivity rate is now at 9%.
- Arlington County has 7,463 cases, 164 deaths and a 7.8% seven-day positivity rate
- Fairfax County has 37,440 cases, 657 deaths and a 11% seven-day positivity rate
- Loudoun County has 11,937 cases, 151 deaths and a 12.4% seven-day positivity rate
Need a test? Find out where tests are administered here.
Cases By ZIP Code
The areas of the city with the leading number of cases are the 22304, 22305 and 22312 ZIP codes, which include the West End and Arlandria, Potomac Yard and Potomac West neighborhoods.
Some of the areas share jurisdictions between Alexandria and Arlington and Fairfax Counties:
- 22301 — 260 cases, 6,764 people tested (Estimated population 15,171)
- 22302 — 689 cases, 12,264 people tested (Estimated population 20,238)
- 22304 — 2,007 cases, 22,147 people tested (Estimated population 54,003)
- 22305 — 1,122 cases, 8,580 people tested (Estimated population 16,095)
- 22311 — 1,094 cases, 9,699 people tested (Estimated population 16,898)
- 22312 — 1,553 cases, 12,480 people tested (Estimated population 6,901)
- 22314 — 752 cases, 15,865 people tested (Estimated population 47,826)
Photo via CDC/Unsplash