There have been six additional deaths from COVID-19 in Alexandria, as the death toll from the virus now stands at 83.
The victims were three men and two women, and three of the victims were in their 80s and two were in their 60s. Information on the sixth victim is not available, as the city says there is a reporting lag with the Virginia Department of Health.
“This is the most deaths related to COVID-19 in a one-week period since June, and the total is now 83 deaths,” the Alexandria Health Department noted. “The increase in fatalities coincides with Alexandria’s highest seven-day running average of (41.6) positive cases since the pandemic began.”
There are now or have been 5,790 cases of COVID-19 in Alexandria, a jump of 424 cases since this time last week.
There have also been 383 total hospitalizations since the onset of the pandemic in Alexandria. About one in 13 city residents who tested positive for the virus have been hospitalized, according to the Alexandria Health Department.
Across Virginia, there have been 4,208 deaths and there are or have been 258,870 cases of the virus. There have been 3.5 million PCR (polymerase chain reaction) tests and the state’s seven-day positivity rate is 10.8%.
Mental health-related emergency room visits are also on the rise, according to the city.
“The holidays are normally a time of increased stress, but with more positive cases of COVID-19 in Alexandria and the region, this year’s holiday stress may be compounded by feelings of isolation and depression,” according to AHD. “Self-care techniques, such as reaching out to loved ones, exercising and getting enough sleep, can help manage normal holiday stress. The City has compiled coping resources.”
There are or have been 3,024 women (with 40 deaths) and 2,749 men (with 42 deaths) in Alexandria with the virus. The only age groups that have not experienced a death so far are children and teenagers.
- 80+ — 36 deaths, 157 cases
- 70-79 — 21 deaths, 194 cases
- 60-69 — Seven deaths, 430 cases
- 50-59 — 14 deaths, 696 cases
- 40-49 — One death, 990 cases
- 30-39 — Two deaths, 1,336 cases
- 20-29 — One death, 1,159 cases
- 10-19 — Zero deaths, 402 cases
- 0-9 — Zero deaths, 404 cases
*One death not reported
Latino residents have the most infections with 2,416 reported cases (with 14 deaths), white residents with 1,277 cases (45 deaths), and Black residents with 1,138 cases (19 deaths). There are 207 cases with Asian or Pacific Islander residents (one death), 160 cases classified as “other” (two deaths) and four native American cases (no deaths).
There have also been 49 outbreaks in the city (an increase of six since last week), including 12 at long term care facilities, 28 in congregate settings, foive in child care settings, one at a college, one in a K-12 setting and one at a correctional facility.
There have been 540 cases associated with the outbreaks. Health care workers also make up 370 positive COVID cases, according to VDH.
There have been 70,396 COVID tests administered in the city; 5,604 antibody tests and 1,984 antigen tests. The city’s seven-day positivity rate is now at 8.4%.
- Arlington County has 6,904 cases, 158 deaths and a 8.7% seven-day positivity rate
- Fairfax County has 34,108 cases, 641 deaths and a 11.7% seven-day positivity rate
- Loudoun County has 10,832 cases, 150 deaths and a 11.7% seven-day positivity rate
Need a test? Find out where tests are administered here.
Cases By ZIP Code
The areas of the city with the leading number of cases are the 22304, 22305 and 22312 ZIP codes, which include the West End and Arlandria, Potomac Yard and Potomac West neighborhoods.
Some of the areas share jurisdictions between Alexandria and Arlington and Fairfax Counties:
- 22301 — 239 cases, 6,312 people tested (Estimated population 15,171)
- 22302 — 653 cases, 11,170 people tested (Estimated population 20,238)
- 22304 — 1,825 cases, 20,826 people tested (Estimated population 54,003)
- 22305 — 1,074 cases, 8,098 people tested (Estimated population 16,095)
- 22311 — 1,014 cases, 9,147 people tested (Estimated population 16,898)
- 22312 — 1,426 cases, 11,760 people tested (Estimated population 6,901)
- 22314 — 676 cases, 14,843 people tested (Estimated population 47,826)
Photo via CDC/Unsplash
MS-13 Members Found Guilty in Alexandria Teen’s Murder — “Five members of the gang were found guilty in the killings of a 17-year-old boy from Falls Church and a 14-year-old boy…
ALXnow is heading into another long weekend with Fourth of July on Monday. The big stories this week involved back-and-forths over city policy, from a new conditional height increase to…
Open Houses includes a 3 BD/2.5 BA home with a fenced backyard, new roof and sun porch.
A 3 BD/2 BA updated brick townhome with an enclosed backyard and rear deck is included in Just Listed.