Hundreds of new cases of COVID-19 have been reported in Alexandria in the last week, as the number of positive cases has jumped to 5,366, according to the Virginia Department of Health.
No new deaths have been reported and the number of fatalities remains at 77.
There have also been 364 total hospitalizations since the onset of the pandemic in Alexandria. About one in 13 city residents who tested positive for the virus have been hospitalized, according to the Alexandria Health Department.
Across Virginia, there have been 4,062 deaths and there are or have been 237,835 cases of the virus. There have been 3.3 million PCR (polymerase chain reaction) tests and the state’s seven-day positivity rate is 7.5%.
There are or have been 2,806 women (with 38 deaths) and 2,539 men (with 39 deaths) in Alexandria with the virus. The only age groups that have not experienced a death so far are children and teenagers.
- 80+ — 33 deaths, 150 cases
- 70-79 — 21 deaths, 179 cases
- 60-69 — Five deaths, 394 cases
- 50-59 — 14 deaths, 644 cases
- 40-49 — One death, 923 cases
- 30-39 — Two deaths, 1,219 cases
- 20-29 — One death, 1,079 cases
- 10-19 — Zero deaths, 374 cases
- 0-9 — Zero deaths, 382 cases
Latino residents have the most infections with 2,322 reported cases (with 13 deaths), white residents with 1,186 cases (40 deaths), and Black residents with 1,077 cases (19 deaths). There are 196 cases with Asian or Pacific Islander residents (and one death), 142 cases classified as “other” (with two deaths) and four native American cases (no deaths).
There have also been 43 outbreaks in the city, including 12 at long term care facilities, 24 in congregate settings, four in child care settings, one at a college, one in a K-12 setting and one at a correctional facility.
There have been 513 cases associated with the outbreaks. Health care workers also make up 353 positive COVID cases, according to VDH.
There have been 65,893 COVID tests administered in the city so far and 5,468 antibody tests. The city’s seven-day positivity rate is now at 6.3%.
- Arlington County has 6,299 cases, 157 deaths and a 4.8% seven-day positivity rate
- Fairfax County has 31,388 cases, 638 deaths and a 7.5% seven-day positivity rate
- Loudoun County has 10,049 cases, 143 deaths and a 7.3% seven-day positivity rate
Need a test? Find out where tests are administered here.
Cases By ZIP Code
The areas of the city with the leading number of cases are the 22304, 22305 and 22312 ZIP codes, which include the West End and Arlandria, Potomac Yard and Potomac West neighborhoods.
Some of the areas share jurisdictions between Alexandria and Arlington and Fairfax Counties:
- 22301 — 210 cases, 5,883 people tested (Estimated population 15,171)
- 22302 — 604 cases, 10,426 people tested (Estimated population 20,238)
- 22304 — 1,696 cases, 19,443 people tested (Estimated population 54,003)
- 22305 — 1,025 cases, 7,664 people tested (Estimated population 16,095)
- 22311 — 938 cases, 8,692 people tested (Estimated population 16,898)
- 22312 — 1,333 cases, 11,059 people tested (Estimated population 6,901)
- 22314 — 613 cases, 13,785 people tested (Estimated population 47,826)
Photo via CDC/Unsplash
ALXnow is heading into another long weekend with Fourth of July on Monday. The big stories this week involved back-and-forths over city policy, from a new conditional height increase to…
Open Houses includes a 3 BD/2.5 BA home with a fenced backyard, new roof and sun porch.
A 3 BD/2 BA updated brick townhome with an enclosed backyard and rear deck is included in Just Listed.
Alexandria City Public Schools expects its interim superintendent to serve for the entire 2022-2023 school year, according to a new job listing for the position. “It is anticipated that this…