There are or have been 4,363 total cases of COVID-19 in Alexandria, which is an increase of 133 cases since last Monday, according to the Virginia Department of Health.
There have also been 325 total hospitalizations in the city (an increase of two hospitalizations since this time last week). The death count still stands at 74 with two probable cases associated with the virus.
The Alexandria Health Department says that one in 13 infected Alexandrians has been hospitalized.
According to the city:
An estimated 66% of Virginia adults who become infected never have symptoms, so everyone must maintain at least six feet of distance from others, wear a mask over both the nose and mouth, and carry and use hand sanitizer with at least 60% ethyl alcohol. Be prepared to help your family and neighbors by answering a call from AHD if you are identified as a close contact of someone who tests positive for COVID-19.
Across Virginia, there have been 3,658 deaths and there are or have been 183,418 cases of the virus. There have been 2.7 million PCR (polymerase chain reaction) tests and the state’s seven-day positivity rate is 5.8%.
Demographic, Age and Sex Breakdown
Of the 74 deaths, 96% have been residents above the age of 50.
Latino residents have the most infections with 1,992 reported cases, followed by white residents with 905 cases, Black residents with 903 cases, Asian or Pacific Islander residents with 162 cases, 108 cases classified as “other” and four native American cases.
There are or have been 2,260 women (with 37 deaths) and 2,090 men (with 37 deaths) in Alexandria with the virus. The only age groups that have not experienced a death so far are children and teenagers.
- 80+ — 31 deaths, 130 cases (Two new cases)
- 70-79 — 21 deaths, 150 cases (Four new cases)
- 60-69 — Five deaths, 324 cases (10 new cases)
- 50-59 — 14 deaths, 548 cases (17 new cases)
- 40-49 — One death, 754 cases (24 new cases)
- 30-39 — One death, 986 cases (30 new cases)
- 20-29 — One death, 845 cases (28 new cases)
- 10-19 — Zero deaths, 308 cases (Seven new cases)
- 0-9 — Zero deaths, 305 cases (Nine new cases)
There have been 51,621 COVID tests administered in the city so far and 5,343 antibody tests. The city’s seven-day positivity rate is now at 4.4%.
- Arlington County has 4,778 cases, 154 deaths and a 4.2% seven-day positivity rate
- Fairfax County has 24,642 cases, 620 deaths and a 5.3% seven-day positivity rate
- Loudoun County has 8,048 cases, 132 deaths and a 6.2% seven-day positivity rate
Cases By ZIP Code
The areas of the city with the leading number of cases are the 22304, 22305 and 22312 ZIP codes, which include the West End and Arlandria, Potomac Yard and Potomac West neighborhoods.
Some of the areas share jurisdictions between Alexandria and Arlington and Fairfax Counties:
- 22301 — 161 cases, 4,453 people tested (Estimated population 15,171)
- 22302 — 475 cases, 7,867 people tested (Estimated population 20,238)
- 22304 — 1,380 cases, 15,485 people tested (Estimated population 54,003)
- 22305 — 872 cases, 6,131 people tested (Estimated population 16,095)
- 22311 — 782 cases, 7,298 people tested (Estimated population 16,898)
- 22312 — 1,101 cases, 9,043 people tested (Estimated population 6,901)
- 22314 — 481 cases, 10,387 people tested (Estimated population 47,826)
Photo via CDC/Unsplash