There are or have been 4,230 total cases of COVID-19 in Alexandria, which is an increase of 107 cases since last Monday, according to the Virginia Department of Health.
There have also been 325 total hospitalizations in the city (an increase of two hospitalizations since this time last week). The death count stands at 74 with two probable cases associated with the virus.
The Alexandria Health Department says that one in 12 infected Alexandrians have been hospitalized.
Across Virginia, there have been 3,581 deaths and there are or have been 174,275 cases of the virus. There have been 2.53 million PCR (polymerase chain reaction) tests and the state’s seven-day positivity rate is at 5%.
Demographic, Age and Sex Breakdown
Of the 74 deaths, 96% have been residents above the age of 50.
Latino residents have the most infections with 1,939 reported cases, followed by Black residents with 877 cases, white residents with 850 cases, Asian or Pacific Islander residents with 158 cases, 96 cases classified as “other” and four native American cases.
There are or have been 2,193 women (with 37 deaths) and 2,024 men (with 37 deaths) in Alexandria with the virus. The only age groups that have not experienced a death so far are children and teenagers.
- 80+ — 31 deaths, 128 cases (Three new cases)
- 70-79 — 21 deaths, 146 cases (Three new cases)
- 60-69 — Five deaths, 314 cases (15 new cases)
- 50-59 — 14 deaths, 531 cases (24 new cases)
- 40-49 — One death, 730 cases (37 new cases)
- 30-39 — One death, 956 cases (29 new cases)
- 20-29 — One death, 817 cases (51 new cases)
- 10-19 — Zero deaths, 301 cases (Nine new cases)
- 0-9 — Zero deaths, 296 cases (16 new cases)
There have been 49,808 COVID tests administered in the city so far and 5,166 antibody tests. The city’s seven-day positivity rate is now at 4.9%.
- Arlington County has 4,562 cases, 154 deaths and a 3.3% seven-day positivity rate
- Fairfax County has 23,695 cases, 621 deaths and a 4.2% seven-day positivity rate
- Loudoun County has 7,784 cases, 130 deaths and a 4.5% seven-day positivity rate
Cases By ZIP Code
The areas of the city with the leading number of cases are the 22304, 22305 and 22312 ZIP codes, which include the West End and Arlandria, Potomac Yard and Potomac West neighborhoods.
Some of the areas share jurisdictions between Alexandria and Arlington and Fairfax Counties:
- 22301 — 156 cases, 4,198 people tested (Estimated population 15,171)
- 22302 — 454 cases, 7,435 people tested (Estimated population 20,238)
- 22304 — 1,334 cases, 14,746 people tested (Estimated population 54,003)
- 22305 — 848 cases, 5,869 people tested (Estimated population 16,095)
- 22311 — 771 cases, 7,021 people tested (Estimated population 16,898)
- 22312 — 1,067 cases, 8,616 people tested (Estimated population 6,901)
- 22314 — 454 cases, 9,811 people tested (Estimated population 47,826)
Photo via CDC/Unsplash
(Updated at 4:20 p.m.) A flash flood warning has been issued for Alexandria and other nearby localities. The National Weather Service said an earlier watch will be in effect until…
Late last week, a third grader at Jefferson-Houston School was exhibiting COVID symptoms. By Sunday her mother received positive test results, and that evening she sent word to the school…
The wellness-related businesses in Del Ray are bottling their creative energies into a new blog. Every Wednesday morning, the Wellness District Blog will publish two new posts to help folks…
The Eisenhower Partnership is planning an Oktoberfest celebration early next month to help raise funding for the Engin and Agnès Artemel Urban Planning Scholarship, a scholarship for students majoring in…