The annual Lee Street gathering with trick-or-treaters isn’t happening this Halloween, and the city is recommending low-risk activities.
“While the spread of COVID-19 remains a threat, residents are encouraged to find safe ways to enjoy Halloween and Dia de los Muertos,” according to the city.
The city is recommending the following events low-risk events for Saturday, October 31.
- Del Ray Halloween Traditions – With the annual parade canceled due to COVID-19, residents can participate in a number of Halloween-themed contests online, including house decorating, group or pet costumes, and a scavenger hunt.
- West End Drive-Thru Trunk-or-Treat – Families can dress in costumes while remaining in vehicles to drive through the Shiloh Baptist parking lot to receive pre-bagged treats.
- Dia de los Muertos Virtual Requiem Concert – To remember the lives of those lost in the battle against COVID-19, the New Orchestra of Washington and Choral Arts will perform Brahms’ Requiem to embrace the spirit of celebrating, not mourning, the lives of those lost.
- Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian Dia de los Muertos Virtual Weekend – Online live events that feature educational and celebration with traditional music, mask-making, paper marigold demonstrations (including links to download and make your own), a reading list for children, and opportunities to remember loved ones.
What are you doing this Halloween? Join the AWLA on Oct. 31 for a morning of outdoor, physically-distanced pumpkin carving. Registration includes the cost of supplies and benefits animals in need, but space is limited, so sign up today at https://t.co/sYT4T6krRb. pic.twitter.com/pbYQQt6MD9
— AWLA Alexandria (@AlexAnimals) October 16, 2020
The City and AHD strongly urge Alexandrians to choose Halloween activities that are identified as lower risk by the @CDCgov. Treat yourself to lower risk options this year and reduce the likelihood of COVID-19 outbreaks. Learn more at https://t.co/IhnSURznXN pic.twitter.com/8KPTaQBUaS
— AlexandriaVAGov (@AlexandriaVAGov) October 21, 2020
Ting Internet started providing some long-awaited competition to Comcast in parts of Alexandria earlier this year, now the company says it’s expanding to central Alexandria soon. Catharine Rice, community engagement…
Alexandria Police Department Captain Courtney Ballantine just spent 10 weeks at the FBI National Academy, and spoke with ALXnow about his experience. Over the summer, Ballantine lived in a dorm…
Arlington calls for aid, and Alexandria will answer. Alexandria’s City Council is scheduled to vote at a meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 26, to support neighboring Arlington’s funding application for an…
Dylan, the best-selling luxury condominiums in the Metro Washington area is now delivering, with three beautiful new models to tour. You’re invited to a Grand Opening Event at Dylan on…
Are you ready for a family frolic in front of the lens? Look no further! Our Mini Photo Sessions are here, and they’re filled with laughter, wagging tails, and unforgettable moments.
What to Expect:
• Professional Portraits: Bring your furry friends or the whole family for a portrait experience like no other. We promise to capture the most charming moments!
This week, we are thrilled to welcome Jane Lowery to our women’s therapy practice. Jane specializes in grief+loss therapy and she’s forming a support group for young adults who have lost a parent.
Grief work is personal for Jane. She’s a host with The Dinner Party, a national non-profit reducing the isolation & stigma for grieving 20 & 30-something’s with live and virtual sit-down dinners.
Jane is a graduate of Northwestern University’s Masters in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program. Prior to becoming a therapist, she worked for over 10 years in technology philanthropy. Jane obtained her bachelor’s in American Studies from George Washington University.
The Made in ALX Fall Makers’ Market at Port City Brewing Co. in Alexandria is set for Sunday, Sept. 24!
This is the fall’s most fun sip-and-shop, featuring craft beer from the award-winning Port City Brewing Co. along with food,