Alexandria has seen an increase of 86 cases since this time last week, and the city’s seven-day positivity rate is no longer the lowest in the region, according to the Virginia Department of Health.
There have been 62 deaths in the city due to the virus (unchanged since last week) and there are or have been 3,613 cases of coronavirus in the city since the first case was reported on March 11.
There have also been 34,982 (polymerase chain reaction) tests administered in the city so far, 4,442 antibody tests and the city’s seven-day positivity rate jumped from being the lowest in the region at 4.3% to 5.8% and stands behind Arlington County.
- Arlington County has 3,741 cases, 145 deaths and a 3.8% seven-day positivity rate
- Fairfax County has 19,854 cases, 582 deaths and a 6.1% seven-day positivity rate
- Loudoun County has 6,449 cases, 118 deaths and a 8.0% seven-day positivity rate.
“The City of Alexandria and the Alexandria Health Department (AHD) remind everyone that you are safest at home,” according to a city news release. “Older adults and persons with underlying medical conditions are at greater risk for severe disease and are advised to minimize potential exposures as much as possible.”
Demographic, Age and Sex Breakdown
Latino residents are the hardest hit with 1,702 reported cases, followed by Black residents with 738 cases, white residents with 698 cases, Asian or Pacific Islander residents with 129 cases, 82 cases classified as “other” and three native American cases.
There are or have been 1,881 women (with 34 deaths) and 1,721 men (with 28 deaths) in Alexandria with the virus.
- 80+ — 27 deaths, 116 cases
- 70-79 — 18 deaths, 126 cases
- 60-69 — Three deaths, 276 cases
- 50-59 — 12 deaths, 457 cases
- 40-49 — Zero deaths, 637 cases
- 30-39 — Zero deaths, 841 cases
- 20-29 — One death, 666 cases
- 10-19 — Zero deaths, 258 cases
- 0-9 — Zero deaths, 225 cases
Cases By ZIP Code
The areas of the city with the leading number of cases are the 22304, 22305 and 22312 ZIP codes, which include the West End and Arlandria, Potomac Yard and Potomac West neighborhoods.
Some of the areas share jurisdictions between Alexandria and Arlington and Fairfax Counties:
- 22301 — 132 cases, 2,820 people tested (Estimated population 15,171)
- 22302 — 379 cases, 5,016 people tested (Estimated population 20,238)
- 22304 — 1,113 cases, 10,592 people tested (Estimated population 54,003)
- 22305 — 751 cases, 4,445 people tested (Estimated population 16,095)
- 22311 — 661 cases, 5,393 people tested (Estimated population 16,898)
- 22312 — 946 cases, 6,369 people tested (Estimated population 6,901)
- 22314 — 360 cases, 6,713 people tested (Estimated population 47,826)
Photo via CDC/Unsplash
Ask McEnearney reviews the real estate during the first half of 2022.
Alexandria is developing a request for proposal (RFP) to potentially sell a tiny parcel of land at 2 King Street on the Alexandria waterfront. The 1,825-square-foot property is between Waterfront…
Children and adults who missed their Hogwarts letter can celebrate Harry Potter’s birthday with a special tour of the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum. This July 31, the Apothecary Museum will celebrate…
Gourmet Mexican Opens in Del Ray — “The shop sells high quality and authentic Mexican food and other goods.” [Alexandria Living Magazine] It’s Wednesday — Heavy rain starting in the afternoon….