There are now or have been 3,014 cases of the coronavirus in Alexandria, according to the Virginia Department of Health.
The city surpassed the 3,000 case mark with 38 new cases in the last two days. Fatalities in the city remain at 60, and the most recent death was reported on August 4.
“With a recent increase in cases, you are more likely to encounter someone who is infected,” notes a city release. “Be prepared to answer a call from the Alexandria Health Department in case you are identified as a close contact.”
There have also been 281 total hospitalizations since the first case was reported on March 11, according to VDH.
It is not clear how many city residents have recovered from the virus.
Alexandria trails behind its more populated regional neighbors like Arlington County, which has reported 3,118 cases and 135 deaths; Fairfax County with 16,642 cases and 529 deaths; and Loudoun County with 5,372 cases and 115 deaths. Statewide, there are 2,352 COVID-related fatalities throughout Virginia, and there are or have been 102,521 cases.
Demographic, Age and Sex Breakdown
Latino residents in the city have been hardest hit with 1,526 reported cases, followed by Black residents with 571 cases, white residents with 560 cases, Asian or Pacific Islander residents with 102 cases, 54 cases classified as “other” and two native American cases.
There are or have been 1,558 women (with 33 deaths) and 1,446 men (with 27 deaths) in Alexandria with the virus.
- 80+ — 27 deaths, 101 cases
- 70-79 — 18 deaths, 110 cases
- 60-69 — Three deaths, 238 cases
- 50-59 — 11 deaths, 375 cases
- 40-49 — Zero deaths, 557 cases
- 30-39 — Zero deaths, 692 cases
- 20-29 — One death, 540 cases
- 10-19 — Zero deaths, 219 cases
- 0-9 — Zero deaths, 171 cases
There have been 25,018 PCR (polymerase chain reaction) tests administered in Alexandria so far, and the city’s seven-day positivity rate shows a 5.8% infection rate of those tested. There have also been 3,729 antibody tests in Alexandria.
Cases By ZIP Code
The areas of the city with the leading number of cases are the 22304, 22305 and 22312 ZIP codes, which include the West End and Arlandria, Potomac Yard and Potomac West neighborhoods.
Some of the areas share jurisdictions between Alexandria and Arlington and Fairfax Counties:
- 22301 — 104 cases, 1,915 people tested (Estimated population 15,171)
- 22302 — 303 cases, 3,796 people tested (Estimated population 20,238)
- 22304 — 910 cases, 7,595 people tested (Estimated population 54,003)
- 22305 — 668 cases, 3,448 people tested (Estimated population 16,095)
- 22311 — 570 cases, 3,672 people tested (Estimated population 16,898)
- 22312 — 765 cases, 4,540 people tested (Estimated population 6,901)
- 22314 — 283 cases, 4,591 people tested (Estimated population 47,826)
Photo by Fusion Medical Animation on Unsplash
Just as the school resource officer debate started to cool down, things have started heating up between the City Council local first responder unions and city leadership over pay issues….
Halloween is fast approaching and the time-honored tradition of trick-or-treating will be back in full swing. Last year, the Alexandria Health Department (AHD) had discouraged the practice for fear of…
At an upcoming Alexandria City Council meeting on Tuesday (Oct. 26), City Manager Mark Jinks is scheduled to present a planned mid-year pay increase for city employees, though local unions…
Open this Sunday from 1-3 p.m. and included in the latest Just Listed is a 4 BD/3 BA home with a gas fireplace, deck and breakfast nook.