As Alexandria enters into the second phase of reopening its economy, ALIVE! is expanding its free food distributions for families in need. The nonprofit has given out hundreds of thousands of pounds of food during the pandemic.
“This is not over, people are still food insecure,” ALIVE! Executive Director Jennifer Ayers told ALXnow. “The food insecurity is real. People are still without jobs. We gave out 110,000 pounds of food in April and 127,000 pounds of food in May. Our normal monthly average is about 30,000 pounds, so we are giving away a lot of food.”
In the meantime, here are the following distributions this week:
Thursday, June 11 Food Distribution
4-5:30 p.m. Food Distribution in the Charles Houston Recreation Center parking lot
ALIVE!, in coordination with Washington Street United Methodist Church, Royal Restaurant, ARHA, and the City of Alexandria, will distribute bags of shelf-stable groceries and boxes of produce until supplies run out.
5-6 p.m. Food Distribution at Landmark Mall
ALIVE!, in partnership with World Central Kitchen and Hunger Free Alexandria, will distribute bags of shelf-stable groceries until supplies run out at Landmark Mall. People are encouraged to drive through. People who walk to the site should bring bags/carts to carry food away. Everyone is asked to observe social distancing and safety guidelines.
ALIVE! is also helping Alexandria City Public Schools with its food distribution, and food is available during the week at the following locations:
- William Ramsay Elementary School, 5700 Sanger Avenue, from 9 a.m. to noon
- Francis C. Hammond Middle School, 4646 Seminary Road, from 9 a.m. to noon
- Cora Kelly School for Math, Science and Technology, 3600 Commonwealth Avenue, from 9 a.m. to noon
- Jefferson-Houston PreK-8 IB School, 1501 Cameron Street, from 9 a.m. to noon
- T.C. Williams High School, 3330 King Street, from 9 a.m. to noon
- Mason Apartments at South Reynolds Street, from 10:45 to 11:15 a.m.
- Brent Place Apartments at 375 South Reynolds Street, from 11:20 to 11:50 a.m.
- Ruby Tucker Family Center at 322 Tancil Court, from 10:45 to 11:15 a.m.
- Community Lodgings at 607 Notabene Drive, from 10:45 to 11:15 a.m.
- Old Towne West Apartments (parking lot) at 500 South Alfred Street, from 11:20 to 11:50 a.m.
- Corner of Florence Drive and Four Mile Road, from 10:45 to 11:15 a.m.
- The Fields of Alexandria at 4309 Duke Street, from 10:45 to 11:15 a.m.
- Bennington Crossing Apartment Homes at 441 North Armistead Street, from 11:30 a.m. to noon
Photo via Alive!/Facebook